675 Street Triple R 2014 - Weak Front Brakes

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Popkos, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:09 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Popkos

Popkos New Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Czech Republic
    #1 Popkos, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019 at 8:08 PM
    Hello,

I´ve bought a 2014 Street Triple R about a month and a half ago with 39 000 km´s from new.
    Bike has ABS.
    When I got the bike, front brakes were fantastically sharp, only one finger was needed to stop.
    I´m now at 40 000 km´s, and front brakes started to feel very weak. You need more power and they aren´t sharp as before. They almost remind me of my old Kawasaki Z750 brakes, which were simply rubbish.

The bike got a new brake fluid about a month ago, before I bought it (got invoice from service).
    Brake pads seems like they have a lot of meat remaining.
    What would you suggest?
    Get off the calipers, clean them with hot soapy water? Try to bleed the brakes? Or is this some common problem?

PS: The rear brake is very weak too (it needs quite a lot of force to start braking when comparing with my old Z750).

Thank you for advice.

2. PH1969

PH1969 Active Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Still fluid in the resevoir?

3. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
  4. Popkos

Popkos New Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Czech Republic
    Sorry, I did not understand your question. What do you mean by that? If is the fluid at the same level?

5. Popkos

Popkos New Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Czech Republic
    Haven´t checked the stripped calipers yet. What would that mean, if they are glazed?
    I have an invoice, that there are installed Brembo Sinter pads (07KA23SA).

6. PH1969

PH1969 Active Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    Is the fluid at the same level in the reservoir, is there any fluid in there? If the pads are good probably worth bleeding it through again.

7. Notso

Notso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Have you tried cleaning the disks with brake cleaner and a clean rag? I wonder if a spot of oil, grease, polish, acf50 etc. has got on there.

Sorry if too obvious, that's about my limit of brake knowledge!

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    There are two possible issues or a combination of both:

Loss of clamping force
    or
    Loss of friction

Either your hydraulic system is leaking/has air in it and is failing to transmit clamping force from pads to disc
    Or
    The pads/pins are partially seized from corrosion/contamination and/or the pads and disc surface have become contaminated or glazed.

FIRST, while stationary, squeeze the brake lever. Does it feel firm or spongey? If spongey you have air in the system and your fluid change may be the culprit, especially if the ABS system got partially drained.

Discs and pads can be roughed with fine sandpaper and wiped clean with brake cleaner or acetone. If you are not a competent mechanic find one! Brakes are not to be played with.

• Agree Agree x 1