Scrambler Street Scrambler - Barkbusters Handguards

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by garethr, Nov 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #1 garethr, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    In the hope that they will keep the cold winter wind off my delicate finger tips, I have just fitted a set of Barkbusters Storm handguards to my 2019 Street Scrambler, using the 2-point mounting kit.

The 2-point kit has one mount that is held into the end of the handlebar, and a second mount that clamps around the angled part of the bar between the grips and the risers.

There is also a single-point kit that is held only at the end of the handlebar.

There were no major problems, once I'd worked out how to put the bar clamps, the intermediate bracket, and the handguard bar together :), but there are a couple of points to note.

1) The 2-point mounting kit is supplied with 8mm (M8) countersunk head (CSK) bolts into expanding collars to go into the end of the handlebar. These do not fit the standard Street Scrambler 'bars, which have a plug with a threaded hole which takes the M6 CSK screw that holds the 'bar end trim.
    The options are either to drill and tap the plug to take the M8 CSK screw supplied in the fitting kit, or to use a M6 CSK screw. The standard M6 screw in each 'bar end is 16mm long, and is OK for temporary use, but you really need one that is 25mm long (overall length including head).
    Note that there is a single-point kit for handlebars that do not require an expanding collar. It looks like this kit is supplied with the necessary M6 screw.

2) The bar end screw has blue threadlock from the factory. You might want to use medium-strength threadlock on the fitting kit bolts (possibly light threadlock on the M6 bolts?).

IMG_20191119_133153052_HDR.jpg IMG_20191119_133138865.jpg IMG_20191119_132748992_HDR.jpg

EDITED to confirm length of replacement bar end screw.

• Like Like x 4
  2. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #2 garethr, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    The mountings

IMG_20191119_150851190_HDR.jpg

Bar end currently held with the factory M6 x 16mm CSK screw.
    EDIT: Now replaced with M6 x 25mm CSK.

IMG_20191119_150905052.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, thanks for posting this as have been wondering why Triumph don’t do them for the SS. I had handguards on my Tiger 800 which certainly made a difference and although I’ve got heated grips on my SS it’s the outside of the hands that get the chill.

4. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    Since there isn't a Triumph accessory, I couldn't find a specific kit for the Street Scrambler, and the Barkbusters fitting kit is universal, I thought it would be useful to document the fact that they fit, and the additional work/parts that might be required.

I ordered the kit from Chainspeed (other Barkbusters vendors are available), having found the part numbers on the Barkbusters web site.. It looks like Squaredeals sells the same kit under the SW Motech name, but it has a rather less subtle logo on the handguards. At least, I assume, from the price, that it's the same 2-point mounting kit. The Squaredeals website doesn't go into details.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hypermotard

hypermotard New Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Hi Garethr, thanks for the information. I want to mount handguards to my 2018 Street Scrambler but cannot get the sizing correct. I know the stock handlebars of 7/8" at the end, but the increase in thickness near the center, and I have seen people suggest that I should be the 1-1/8" kit to fit. Do you know the exact kit to buy? Or perhaps a link from a site like revzilla.com? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

6. garethr

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #6 garethr, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. hypermotard

hypermotard New Member

Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
  8. Corbino

Corbino Member

Sep 26, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Garethr, thanks for this info! Following this I mounted some Barkbusters Storm handguards today on my 2017 Street Scrambler. I love the look and the install went smoothly.

Just wanted to note for others' sake that I did have to loosen up the control mounts for the clutch and brake levers just to move them out of the way to be able to tighten the middle bolts on the inner handguard mounts properly.

About to try them out on a ride and head to the hardware store to pickup those M6x25mm bolts.

Here's a few pics of the results and mounting arrangements on either side.

20201022_135919.jpg

20201022_132444.jpg

20201022_134520.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hotdish

Hotdish New Member

Aug 13, 2020
    USA
    I installed these on my bike too. Here’s the pictures. $130 USD for the kit. Fairly straightforward install.

Barkbuster Storm.

500B2A46-B91C-46C1-8DFF-89CD7B05D7E7.jpeg

3447DBB5-55D5-47C6-9404-65EFE3161C6E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    I fitted these onto my Street Scrambler 900. They are for the Triumph Tiger 900 Rally. The fitting points are the bar ends and from the wing mirror fitting point.

8585EE27-86FC-4636-970E-2073D9A92447.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've had Barkbusters on my dirtbike since I bought it. Not really noticed the wind protection but they've taken some serious hits and despite some scratched plastics they're tough as old boots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've had Barkbusters on my dirtbike since I bought it. Not really noticed the wind protection but they've taken some serious hits and despite some scratched plastics they're tough as old boots.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
  14. PinkBritFit

PinkBritFit New Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Gainesville, Florida, USA
    #14 PinkBritFit, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Hey Dave, can you post a link to purchase these exact ones please. I have the same Street Scrambler as you, but not enough handlebar real estate for the BarkBusters at the top of the page as I have mounts for gopro, phone, and a lidlok on my handlebar. I like the mirror mount a lot.
    Edited to add, I see you are in the UK. I assume this is a Triumph genuine part, so can you give me the part number also please, and I can see if I can get them from my dealer :)

15. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    Hello PinkBritFit. I bought mine from the Triumph main dealer. Just asked for the parts that are on the Tiger Rally 900 (Not the Pro as these are different). Easy to fit. You have to do two modifications. The first will be to unscrew the bar end caps on the handle bar ends and drill out the hole to a larger diameter.So it can fit over the threaded end cap that are already there. Then put the bar end cap back on. You now have a flat surface fit for the guard to be screwed up against. The second modification is on the right hand side. You have your front brake cup mounted on a bracket also from the Mirror point. You will need to trim off part of the new guard arm plastic edge to make it flat. This allows you to leave everything as it is and bolt it up under the mirror bolt. This will take you to do both small modifications no more than 15-20 minutes as you put them onto the Scrambler. Any issues please ask. Dave

• Like Like x 1
  16. PinkBritFit

PinkBritFit New Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Gainesville, Florida, USA
    Thank you so much! They look great!, will be getting in touch with my dealer soon :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    No problem, you are welcome. They make a difference to the bike.

• Like Like x 1