Street Or Speed

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by novaman64, Apr 6, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novaman64

novaman64 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2021
    Sacramento, CA
    Looking for some advice. Used to have a 2014 Street Triple R, ended up selling it because I hated the ABS on it, and wanted to get something a bit more comfortable for 2 up rides. Picked up a Multistrada Pikes Peak. Probably wont be doing any 2 up riding in the foreseeable future (at least the next 5-10 year) so wanting something a little more “flickable” than my multi, and also a little cheaper on maintenance as I will be commuting on it 1-2 days a week.

Narrowed it down to a 18-19 Street Triple 765 or 18-20 Speed Triple because both bikes are Euro4 standards and can actually have ABS shut off (unlike newer models that meet Euro5 standards). I don’t want to get into a huge ABS debate on here, but I used to race Supermoto pro-am, I love sliding the bike around, and have been riding since I was 3.5 yrs old and racing since I was 8, and well absolutely hate ABS. ABS is fine for the commute, but if I get into spirited riding on back roads or a track I want it off….

Opinions on which direction to go?

Want to try and keep it around $10k, been digging and can find some NOS Speeds in that range, and defiantly the 18-19 Streets....

2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The street is more flickable than the speed, and those 765's go like stink! I didn't know euro 5 meant you cant disable the ABS? I just picked up a euro 5 superduke, haven't looked to see if you can disable it but it certainly has 'supermoto' mode which disables the back wheel and also allows for stoppies. In any case you might be able to pull a fuse? Or move the wheel sensors? Maybe look at a 790 duke, thay call it the scalpel for good reason, and it will have a supermoto mode too.

3. novaman64

Apr 6, 2021
    Sacramento, CA
    Either is going to be more flick-able than my Multi, I think the Speed is about 40-50lbs lighter...

My understanding of Euro5 is that you cant disable (pulling fuse like on previous MY will disable the bike from starting). Was reading some reviews of the 2020+ Street RS and the big knock was even set to minimum the ABS on the track was still a bit of a hindrance.

4. Kristoff

Kristoff New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Hebburn, Tyne & Wear
    Speed all the way. I've just got one of the last 1050 RS's a month ago and it's fantastic. I know people say it's not as flickable as the street but I find that it goes exactly where I want it to go with zero fight and feels so precise. Plus, it's got all of the power you'd ever be able to use on the road unless you're one of the willy waving in the pub gang. Finally, it looks better than the new one (in my opinion) and the twin Arrow pipes sound fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Mar 22, 2021
    Peterborough, On
    I just got a 2019 speed rs a month ago. I love it. And yes, you can turn TC and ABS off for spirited riding. 2-up is possible if you want, but just remove the passenger pegs and put the cowl on if you arent carrying a passenger. Power anywhere in the rev range. Probably not as flickable as the street triple, but still has impressive handling and feels super planted at high speeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I know the Speed is heavier than the Street but I find my 2018 Speed RS light steering and can still change line mid corner if need be. Something I couldn't do on my Ducati 848. I remember MCN doing a comparison test between the Speed and the Street and they slightly preferred the Speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. J S Chappell

J S Chappell Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Wandering
    I have owned a 2017 and a euro v 2020 street, they are amazing bikes and such great value, also a huge 17 ltr tank which gives class leading range too. The engine and front brakes are to die for as is the super light weight. Bellow is a link to a video comparison between speed and street by two seasoned motorcycle reviewers, well worth a glance if you have not seen it.

8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Ridden both and owned the 2018 Speed RS.
    If you like a revvy engine with main power from about 7-8000rpm upward and very lightweight handling go for the Street.
    If you want more punch from the engine but with slightly slower steering and a little more weight all round (but still not exactly slow!)

I tried both and went for the Speed initially for the punchier engine, then changed to the Street when the 2020 version came out with the extra mid range which made a difference (also love the speed you can flick it around the tighter corners on the track).
    But, as you say, you can't easily disable the ABS, I haven't found it a problem, even on the track but it sounds like your skillset is well above mine :D

9. novaman64

Apr 6, 2021
    Sacramento, CA
    I used to be fast, once upon a time.... Not Im just a overweight bench racer...

the ABS on the Ducati is phenomenal, it will allow me to back in that 500 lb whale...

A pic from my glory days....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1