Street Cup Handlebar Change

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Celticages, Oct 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Celticages

Celticages Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    New Hampshire, USA
    Before and after

EA66E6E8-415E-438E-98D3-D99D931ED73A.jpeg

97835855-EB08-4E59-BB76-ED6B9AE5E9F1.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Celticages

Oct 9, 2017
    New Hampshire, USA
  3. deanat78

deanat78 New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Toronto
    @Celticages thank you so much for all your info and for consistently coming back to such an old thread, you've helped many people (I'm sure many have used this info and haven't said anything)

Would you mind sharing what parts **exactly** you used? The stock Twin bar, and the stock risers? Did you have to get new cables, what else did the process involve?

• Like Like x 1
  4. deanat78

deanat78 New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Toronto
    Did anybody attempt to either rotate the stock bars or reverse them? How did that go?

5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome mate, introduce yourself on the Newbe page

6. Celticages

Oct 9, 2017
    New Hampshire, USA
    You thanked me for consistently coming back and I have failed to come back in a while to answer you question in a timely manner. I apologize. You probably have it sorted by now but would be happy to go over the exact process I took and the parts I purchased. I will check back in a few days. XD

7. deanat78

deanat78 New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Toronto
    I bought a twin handlebar and cable and got it all swapped. Cost a few hundreds of dollars, but I can now ride without constant back pain :)

8. garethr

garethr Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2015
    BRISTOL UK
    #68 garethr, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Just thought I'd mention this...

For many years, Meriden Triumphs had 1 inch handlebars. When they changed to 7/8 inch handlebars there must have been a big box of risers in the stores, because (on the T140, for example) they continued to use the 1 inch "P clamps" with spacers/shims to accommodate the 7/8 'bars.

If you can't find any, try searching for Triumph P clamp spacers.

There may be aftermarket options. I know it's possible to buy 1 1/8 inch to 7/8 inch spacers, because I've seen a Street Scrambler with the standard "fat bars" replaced with 7/8 inch Renthals. The owner said that the serrated spacers he used came from eBay/China.

EDIT:
    While searching for something else, I found that www.barnettclutches.com have 1" to 7/8" spacers in their catalogue.

Part no. 701-80-10079 >>>> https://rssd.cld.bz/Barnett-Catalogue/36

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler New Member
    Subscriber

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire, UK
    Hi all,

Like many of you have been discussing on this thread for the last couple of years, I have decided that different bars on my 2017 Street Cup will make for a more comfortable ride.

I took the plunge today and simply flipped the main centre ā€œUā€ bar up the other way and the result is better than I expected! The bar end angles could be better but I intend to ride it for a while to see whether it is more comfortable for my back and arms on a long journey.

Notable downsides are:
    1. The switch gear notches do not line up when the bar ends are rotated
    2. The brake and clutch cables restrict the handlebar positioning so I may need the longer ones
    Ultimately I think that Renthal Ultra Low bars will be the long term solution for me but this will be more expensive (for the bars, clamps and cables needed).

10. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I just installed the British Customs handle bar clamps and spacers today. Kept the original bar, but with the spacers it added about 10mm height to the bar. Hopefully just enough that it will help take a little strain off my wrists.

• Like Like x 1