Street Cup: Bikini Fairing Or Thruxton Fairing?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by RevPaul, May 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    So I'm gradually making my Street Cup my own. What I really miss from when I last used to ride is a decent handlebar fairing to take some of the wind blast off my chest and arms. It needs to be that classic rounded shape like that fitted to the BMW R90s back in the 80's. Back then aftermarket fairings were quite common with fitting kits for almost all bikes, today if you want one like that it seems to be buy this cheap Chinese fairing and make your own brackets (beyond my ability).

Does anybody know of any handlebar fairings worth a look? The Powerbronze handlebar fairing just looks wrong to me, the Puig so called fairings are really just glorified windscreens, ditto Triumph's overpriced so called fairing they fitted to the Thruxton 900.

What I'd really like to do is fit the half fairing that Triumph make for the Thruxton. I've downloaded Triumph's instructions and looking at the Headstock of my Street Cup it looks like the two bolt holes for the Thruxton fairing frame are already there. I know I need to relocate the Voltage regulator that can be solved thanks to Motone. But how to fix the rear of the fairing and reposition the indicators? The Thruxton has brackets hidden on the underside of the petrol tank that the fairing bolts to, but my Street Cup doesn't; any suggestions? Has anyone tried fitting a Thruxton fairing to a Street Cup?

An alternative is Omega racing, they make a Thruxton inspired fairing in aluminium but from photos I've seen the lines around the screen look a little rough and unsymmetrical (its hand made) and it also looks a little more bulbous compared to Triumph's.

Cheers
    Paul

2. Koko55

Koko55 First Class Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Dorset
    I would just try the Thruxton,screen.I made an old thruxton,screen fit my crk ,sprint
    20200401_162453.jpg ]

• Like Like x 3
  3. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks for the reply Koko and sorry I didn't reply .Your solution looks great for your Café Racer, but it's not really offering enough coverage; it being about the same size windshield fitted to my bike.

So this is the progress I've made so far: A red Thruxton Fairing now painted in Racing Yellow with Silver Ice to match my Street Cup. I think I've found a local workshop who can help make two frame-to-fairing mounting brackets for the lower rear sides and the indicators.

Now if work would only stop getting in the way of progress.

Cheers

IMG_2145.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  4. Koko55

Koko55 First Class Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Dorset
    That should look pretty cool when fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Looking forward to seeing the end result.