Strange flat battery behaviour

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by WingCommander, Apr 21, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. WingCommander

WingCommander New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I have my Speed Triple on an Accumate but due to some poor admin I left the keys in the ignition. When I realised today I used my car battery to jump start the bike (which I have done before with ther bikes) and got it going. When it started however the engine idle was all over the place and the speedo was showing speed depending on the idle speed (between 15 and 40mph as I was trying to keep the idle high). Eventually the bike stopped again and I decided to give up and get it recharged.

I plugged the bike back in and the alarm kept going off but just single repeating siren. It doesnt seem to be charging so I have switched it off.

Any ideas what I should do?

2. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I posted this elsewhere - not sure if it's 100% relevant to your problem but might be worth seeing if it works?

One of the troubles I've had with my SIII is the battery - I'm on my 6th or 7th and talking to folks I'm not on my own. I've had the electrics checked by a couple of dealers and they can't find a problem. I started using an optimiser but when I put it on the battery when the battery is connected to the bike's electrics it actually seems to drain it a bit (no, the terminals aren't the wrong way round!). I've found that totally disconnecting the battery from the bike's electrics and putting the optimiser on seems to work. If anyone can explain what's happening here I would be grateful.

3. Smurf

Smurf New Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Notts
    Cant help but I had a similar problem with my Sprint 1050, every year it needed a new battery despite an optimate charger. Had it checked by the dealers with no problems found. I sold it in the end.

4. WingCommander

WingCommander New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I finally got the bike going but that wasn't the end of my woes.

I rang a local dealer and he recommended running the engine for a while whilst attached to the car and then to take it for a run. I did this but as soon as I disconnected the cables the idle went a bit odd again. I whacked the seat back on and went for a ride. The idle was all over the place still, the speedo read 148 at one point, I wouldn't mind but I was doing about 30 in a 30 zone. The indicators didn't work and the neutral light kept coming on. I decided to take it home after 5 mins but then it just shut down completely. Luckily I was next to a house owned by a nice man called Douglas who now has a Speed Triple in his garage. We (Me & my new buddy Doug!) tried charging the battery out of the bike for a few hours, during which time I went home for lunch, but it wouldn't even turn over after that - even when attached to the car. Slightly concerned I have really done some damage but going to get it picked up today anyway and see what I can do with it...

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    New battery required I think