sticking in gear

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by David B, Aug 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David B

David B New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Prestwick
    Hi , looking for a little help please , i have a 2011 triple 20k on it and it sticks in gear so hard i have to turn the engine off to get it out. i have changed the clutch cable , changed the oil , adjusted the clutch but it is still really heavy , it is so bad now i cant take the bike out , it will change up no probs when moving , going down is a mixed bag but stationary is a no go stuck fast , anyone any ideas , cheers

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Does this only happen when it is hot, or all the time.
    Also, do double check the oil level, I had a problem on my 2010 with difficulty going through the gears, I checked the oil and took out 1/4 a pint and it is perfect now, I beleive they are very sensitive to too much oil.
    It may be worth looking at taking out the clutch plates as this could be a symptom of sticky plates.
    Take the plates out, soak them in oil overnight and put them back in.

3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Remove clutch plates and clean out the complete clutch as dirt can build up inside the basket, check the clutch plates and basket for undue wear and make sure you have the correct oil for your bike and do the filter as well as new oil.

4. David B

David B New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Prestwick
    Cheers for the replies guys , yeah only happens after about 20mins when starting to get hot , next step to strip down the clutch and see what's going on in there

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    this vid may help
    Tiger 1050 clutch repair
    Not the best of vids but you can see what is involved, dont forget to order the gaskets

6. David B

David B New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Prestwick
    Cheers , vid is not bad , will attack the clutch this weekend , and let you know how it goes