Sticking Clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Crankypedals, Jan 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    #21 Crankypedals, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Yeah, considered the lever pull adjustment. I set it to maximum reach to gain the most cable pull but still no joy with the drag. Really hope it is due to contamination as you suggest. I believe the design change you're referring to is regards the release pin which on some later 1050 engines has an oilway machined into the running surface. Mine is just a plain round shaft which is a loose sliding fit into the hollow gearbox shaft which is internally oil-fed. I'm very curious to know how much oil is fed to the clutch through this shaft ... and indeed how much oil is required (and if there can be too much oil!).

The baskets both show marks from where the tabs of the clutch rings have sat but there's virtually no burring. Running my finger along the surface I can feel the indentations but I'm not convinced it's enough to grab the plates. I am tempted however, to put the new rings back in a different order, mixing up the spacings, so as not to sit in the old grooves.

While I've got the covers off, and as chuk raised the question I took the opportunity to compare the dipstick level to the clutch. It seems, (counter-intuitively) the bottom of the clutch is about 30mm above sump oil level, so the only oil it sees is that fed from the gearbox shaft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    ok so the fact i soaked plates in situ is what worked and keeping bike vertical makes no difference,that's fine its just habit now using warrior stand to keep bike vertical but still happy with the end result,i was out tonight bitter cold and crap luck picked up rear puncture DOH!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    [QUOTE="picked up rear puncture DOH![/QUOTE]
    Bad luck mate :(

On the subject of centre stands, I'd had my bike a week and eventually had to go to Youtube to find the technique to get my ST on the stand! Up until then I'd failed every time and nearly dropped the bugger twice! And I'm really not a weakling! #newbiewithfirstbigbike :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Update if any one is interested:

Picked up the new Triumph clutch plates today and fitted them this evening.

Couple of interesting points. Bearing in mind this is the genuine clutch from the Triumph dealer, ordered against my VIN, it is slightly different to the one I've taken out. The old steel rings were just plain, flat, pressed steel whereas the new ones have a matrix of tiny dimples pressed into both sides. The friction plates bear the same identity codes to the old ones and yet the little friction pads are about 2/3 the area of the old ones - same number of pads to each ring but the pads are maybe 1/3 shorter radially. Both these features look to me like they'd lessen the chance of plates sticking together ... was this a design change with that in mind?

I drenched it all in new oil before reassembly and it all went back together a treat.

Several people have suggested (and sounded quite knowledgeable) to use semi-synthetic oil so I've drained out the fully synthetic and replaced with semi.

I also saw on another forum someone mention the orientation of the steel plates which I'd not considered. Being pressed they are 'sided' in that one side has a rounded cut edge, the other a sharper edge. Putting the plates in with the sharp edge facing inwards they will (hopefully) relax easier when the pressure plate is released and not drag on the baskets ... that's the theory anyway!

Finally, no one has convinced me the steel rings need to go back in a particular order so I've mixed the 1.6 and 2mm order up to give the inner rings a different seating position on the baskets so they don't sit back into the old tab impressions.

It's pretty icy out so I haven't ridden it but it started and ran fine and gear selection seems very good with neutral easy to select which it's never been before. I'll report back when I get a chance to ride it.

Tried to upload some photos of the rings but don't seem able to any more ... site just hangs every time. Probably me being computer illiterate!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    20180207_185303.jpg
    Bottom ring old steel, then new steel with dimples, old friction ring and on top the new friction ring with much smaller pads.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Having read the manual -
    It's obviously important that the inner and outer (thicker) friction plates are in the correct position, it also looks like the thicker steel plates should be towards the middle of the stack. The over-all height is critical ( 50mm +.37/-.63 ) and that appears to be the only reason for the thicker plates, which should be swapped out if necessary to get the correct stack height.
    I'm assuming if bought as a set then that has been done at factory.

Hope it all works out well for you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Cheers Col. Yes, the stack height checked out ok. I've put the 2mm steel plates to the inner end of the stack so shifting the contact points of the inner plates 0.8mm out. Whether that makes any difference at all I've no idea but I can't see it hurting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    What do you think about the darker colouring of the old plates?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Changed the engine oil on my Busa some years ago now. Used Castrol fully synthetic. Ended up having clutch drag in traffic. Went back to Casstrol semi. Synthetic. Immediate fix. Don't know if relevant

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Cheers Ken, others have said the same when using fully synthetic and then problems improved going to semi. Maybe anecdotal but the more it's reported the more it seems possibly causal.

Sprinter, it looks very much like the old steel rings have been very hot to cause the darkening.

Just got back from a wet, windy, three hour test ride in the dark (headlight is CRAP!) and at the moment I'm a very happy bunny! I can get neutral with ease (YAY) and the clutch and gearbox is transformed! No drag at standstill and easy gear changes. I still don't entirely trust it yet though; I select neutral as soon as stationary.

Time will tell if it's cured I guess. Others who've been down this road have reported symptoms returning after a while. My hope is that it's either me putting the wrong oil in or the previous owner putting the very wrong (car) oil in. As it's done over 40K miles and appears to have the original clutch the design must have worked but seeing the replacement is so different makes me wonder if it was always close to the limit.

Thanks again for your advice everyone, hopefully when the weather improves a bit I'll get a few more miles bagged and I'll report back whether it's still a fix.

Just like to add I BLOODY LOVE RIDING IT! I'm a complete novice I know, and what the hell do I know, but what a machine! As Americans so often say; HELL YEAH! :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The new steel plates have dimples for two reasons 1st :- the dimples will hold some oil ! 2nd:- dimples reduce surface area that will be in contact with the friction plates, both of these reduce surface/oil drag , any flat wet surfaces suffer a form of "stiction" oil is especially prone to high rates of stiction (stationary friction) this is why cable adjustment clearances are so important, the plates must separate enough for oil to get back into the space's between the plate's, to allow cooling oil to flow in !
    The picture of your old plates show they are fu#k3d, severely cooked, cooked plates are annealed and therefore too soft !! The surfaces will drag/smear against each other, they try to weld, softer steel melts at lower temperature's so local hot spots occur and welding/brazing will try to occur and softer steel also will swell expand more so there is less space between plates when you pull the clutch lever fully in, it won't travel enough to allow full release !
    New plates and proper adjustment will cure your bike !

Cheers capt

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Good info thanks capt :) Would be nice to know why they're cooked, but guess I'll never know. Suffice to say I've now put another 500 miles on it since the clutch pack change and oil change (semi-synth this time) and the clutch is still perfect and gear change solid. Just starting to 'trust' it now and confident to sit in traffic a few moments in first with clutch in rather than waiting for the last moment to select gear and drive off. Looks like a fix and I'm sooooo loving the bike!

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    I had exactly that with my GSXR1000

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tom76

Tom76 New Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Slovenia
    Have the same problems on my sprint 2006. Seems that steel plates and clutch plates are sticking together, when the bike gets hot. Can't shift into neutral. Have to tur off ingition and after driving for some time, the clutch releases.
    As you mentioned that you changed them upon VIN number, could you tell me which model year is your bike 2005-2009 or later 2010-2012?
    Thank you

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Hi Tom, really sorry for the delayed response; been laid a bit low with a little bug that's doing the rounds!!!

Mine's a 2010. Check the pics above re the difference in the clutch plates from original to what Triumph supplied to replace them. I suspect they're the same fitment across most of the 1050 engines (though I'm no expert!). The replacements have a much smaller friction material contact area and the plain steel plates now have an array of tiny dimples across them. My old plates, although within dimension tolerance, had been cooked, resulting in the darker colour. This had likely contaminated the surfaces causing the problems of further overheating and drag.

I'm now around 8,000 miles in and the clutch/gearbox is still performing just fine. My fix just came down to new genuine clutch pack and semi-synthetic oil. No oilway modifications as suggested on other posts/forums.

Hope you solve your issue.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tom76

Tom76 New Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Slovenia
    Hi.

Thank you for reply. I will try to replace the steel and friction plates.
    So yours 2010 has this - same front cowl as 2006?
    image-asset.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crankypedals

Crankypedals Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Staffordshire
    Cowl on mine was changed (before I bought the bike); it now has an after-market cowl with adjustable wind deflector strip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tom76

Tom76 New Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Slovenia
    But yours is still model year 2005-2010? As the ST 2011-2012 had bit modified engine, clutch and fairing (same as GT).
    Could you send a photo of your bike?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ShaunW

ShaunW New Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Kingston upon Hull

Hi there, Where did you get your plates and steel plates from?

• Agree Agree x 1