Stick Coil Doner For T300 Cafe Racer Kit

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Vecchio lupo, Jul 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Senior Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    Hello,
    I have searched a bit and I have found answers just not specific answers, so....

I have a 96 Sprint 900 converted to CRK Cafe Racer (3 into 1, custom intake, severe weight loss) and Im starting to get a low rpm stumble then it picks up fine. As I have the 23 year old OEM coils I am thinking of a stick conversion.

I know the Thunderbird 1600/1700 and the TT600 coils are plug and play. Those are a little hard to come by , but the Daytona 675 sticks are a dime a dozen and everywhere. Does anybody know if they would plug in, or is there a voltage thing I dont know about?

Also Yamaha R6 sticks are all over the place, they are cheap enough I could buy a set and just see.

Thanks and any ideas will help.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Try messaging member t552. He does a kit, plug n play

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    I'll keep you posted...I popped for a set of 600TT coils (40 euro) and a new set of denso connectors for tidy installation (14 euro). I'll let you know next week after they arrive if it was as easy as they said it would be. it looks straight forward but nothing ever is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Cannot comment on tt600 coils as not what i use. Btw i use new coils. You will need to seal the coils to stop corrosion and also seal the plug tunnel. The wrong coils can fry your igniter, just go carefully make sure you connect the coils the right way round too.
    Regards.
    Paul.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    #5 Vecchio lupo, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Thanks Paul, I am a little worried, I found this informative thread on fitting TT600 sticks to a T300 Thunderbird sport on the other forum...

https://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/505458-tt600-coils-on-tbs.html

it went into great detail and even some analysis. If anybody sees a red flag and would like to save me..we have about 4 days before delivery of parts

If interested, the connectors are listed a ford product for 8 of them 13 bucks
    https://www.amazon.com/MOTOALL-Igni...ang+Pigtails.&qid=1563787726&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The grommets are a V8 product also, as per the thread just trim the bottom 1/2 inch off and perfect fit
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G9FRKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    OK Kiddies,...after all the forum surfing and all the articles and all the experts on the internet (some of them truly are experts and a fabulous resource for a mortal such as myself) I have come to the conclusion that the TT600 stick coils are just fine. There are many T300 bikes out there with several thousand miles on TT600 coils with no issues.

I did it, my rubber grommets have not arrived yet but I fitted what I had to get the wiring out the way and it was very easy and very cheap. I have a total of 45 euro tied up in conversion to stick coils and the bike runs great on the table, I cant get any street time til I swap my jets (another story for another day) that should arrive tomorrow .

IMG_0899.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0794.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  7. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    For what it is worth, the triumph part number crossed over to this kawasaki unit, which can be purchased new from $28 each

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ww/produ...n-coil-rm06083

I might research this company and see what they are about, a fellow could put together a set using new components wiring and all for less than $100

8. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    Nobody asked for an update, but I won't let that stop me...everything sounded pretty good, so I went for a ride and it was pretty darn good, then I started to run a little off, couldn't put a finger on it but felt like only running on two cylinders intermittent . I panicked and just knew I toasted my ingniter. I decided to go ahead and change my jets and adjust the floats etc etc etc...

Started her up and I was only hitting on one cylinder, now I am convinced I broke something expensive. I broke out the infrared thermometer and saw only #3 was firing, 1 and 2 were cold. Started the swap coil, test spark and repeat process, plugs were gross from all the rich running but everything fired, all three in every combo. whaaaat????

decided to go back into carbs and found the rubber tip of a needle seat had broken off and blocking fuel, and the float was jammed shut on another, so thats why #1 and #2 were not firing off, no fuel. remedied everything and she fired right up and ran very smooth. Imagine that. then it started to rain, so perhaps tomorrow this can be road tested and truly finished.

then I'll check back after 500 miles or so to see if my igniter survives

• Like Like x 3
  9. Vecchio lupo

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    Ok My Dudes, I have run 4 trouble free tanks of fuel through the bike and she runs fantastic, I can say that these coils work just fine on the old 900 T300's and anybody facing a game of musical coils should make the MOD. It was cheap and easy, all he parts are readily available and dirt cheap. I am going to declare...CASE CLOSED

• Like Like x 2
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Well done mate :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Stick coils are defo way to go. Not just because i do the kits lol. I cant afford to sell unknown coils thats why mine have to be new.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1