Steering Wobble At Freeway Speeds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jason S., Nov 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jason S.

Jason S. New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    Long Beach, CA
    Hello all. My 2019 Bonneville T120 Black has started to develop a confidence crushing steering wobble at normal freeway speeds (60-80+ mph). Everything is properly torqued. I barely have 1000 miles on it. Short of dropping cafe bars on it to put more weight on the front wheel, has anyone out there dealt with this issue successfully? Thanks in advance!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Checked tyre pressures ! If you run them a little low , they wear funny and can cause handling issues

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jason S.

Jason S. New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    Long Beach, CA
    They certainly can. I check air pressure regularly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jason S.

Jason S. New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks mate! I’ll have a look at the suspension first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The cafe race bars, are the clip ons or ones that bolt into the top clamps, if this happened since putting the bars on it could be the added weight on the front so you might have to adjust tyre pressure or suspension. At any point did you unclamped the forks? If so could they be slightly twisted? Try swapping the bars back and if the problem is resolved then you have your answer it’ll be the extra weight on your front end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jason S.

Jason S. New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    Long Beach, CA
    Bars are stock, & I haven't taken anything apart on the front end. I keep an eye on tire pressure regularly, so I'm thinking it's a suspension adjustment. I've only had the bike since June this year & I haven't put that many miles on it unfortunately. I do have the leather saddlebags on, but when this wobbling happened, they were empty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Take them off , see if that cure's the wobble ! If so it's either weight distribution or wind turbulence . A very small amount of weight distribution change can affect stability. Are you a fairly light build and weight ? This can affect the bike's handling , they are setup from the factory for rider's to be 'average' height and weight , so suspension adjustment might be the order of the day ???

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jason S
    The other thing you need to check is that you haven't buckled the front wheel slightly or have a bearing starting to collapse. But things like saddlebags can alter the handling so do check.
    Regards
    Joe.