Steering - Tiger Xrx 800

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Thyrra, Jul 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thyrra

Thyrra New Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Hello, I have 2 questions regarding my Tiger 800 XRx, year of man. 2015
    1. The handlebars vibrate / oscillate at about 75 - 85 km/h. The issue still persists even after the warranty service, where we changed both tires (Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 - the same as before), a chain kit, checked the thrust bearing in the throat (only tightening, mechanically ok), the re-weighed front wheel.
    2. The bike started "to swim" over 165 km/h even and after! aforementioned warranty service.

Thanks for any useful advice and your experience.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #2 Callumity, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Technical translation is always difficult!

I assume you refer to the bearings in the head stock? And the front wheel has been balanced?

It is possible the new tyre is defective and in balance radially but has an axial imbalance (side to side) when spinning.

You should also slacken the front axle pinch bolts and bounce the suspension several times before re-tightening. It is possible to misalign forks by tightening bolts in the wrong sequence.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thyrra

Thyrra New Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Hi,
    yeap, sorry for my technical english.
    For the point 1.: yeap, it relates somehow to the bearings in the head stock - but this was checked and technically ok, just the bearing was tightened.
    Will double-check this.

For the point 2.: The bike started to be "unbalanced" / unstable / to get "swim" over 165 km/h speed after both tires were changed.
    The front wheel were checked twice, no change.

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Is the rear wheel aligned?

Sorry but your sequence of events is not totally clear to me. Did the problem arise before any tyre changes or after the tyres were both changed? It is possible the problem is at the back but makes itself felt at the front.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would add that block tread tyres can be problematic at speed too. On an XRX I personally would run Michelin Pilot Road 4 tyres. You will transform its handling and they will cope with occasional gravel.