Steering Damper Speed Triple Rs?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Undermoose, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Undermoose

Undermoose Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    #1 Undermoose, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    2019 Speed Triple RS

Can't find a single steering damper option...

Sure, you can say it doesn't need it...

Until you wish you had one...

Anyone found one for it?

You'd think Triumph would have a standard place for it, or even include it, 22.9 degree rake ya know?

I've seen another post on this topic, and people don't think it's needed. As someone who lived through a slow speed tank slapper (35mph), and was ejected off the bike, slid along the road to a gentle stop, well.. I just love having them equipped. :) That tank slapper was on a Honda Hawk GT 650 in 1992.

2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I've been looking as well (can't find one either) agree with you it does need one.

3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Don't confuse tank slapping with head shake, my Speed Triple shakes its head now n again and no more than a bike fitted with a damper. The fork steering stops are very limiting on the ST for that reason.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Undermoose

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    What part about being thrown from a bike makes you think I am confusing head shake for a tank slapper lol.

I've never experienced head shake yet, only 500 miles so far, but if it is prone to that then I want a steering damper ASAP.

You don't need a damper... until you do!

• Like Like x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Head shake won't throw you off a bike but a tanks slaper might, if your bike is getting into a slap then there is something wrong with your bike possibly :)

6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I haven't had any either in 3,000 miles so far, that's including some very fast (80+) bumpy twisty roads while on holiday.
    So, my RS, at least, doesn't seem prone to it.

It'd be a shame to slow the steering down if it doesn't need it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Undermoose

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    The one tank slapper I went through was caused by ripples in the tarmac I didn't see, I was doing 35mph, lifting my visor on my helm, and blam! No recovery.

It's about the unexpected. Your bike, my bike, any bike, can benefit from a damper given the right situation. I don't see a downside to having one.

A nice reactive damper won't slow you down, it'll just kick in when/if there is something to cause a hard jar to the steering.

8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    If a steering damper doesn't slow the steering down then it's not actually working....
    https://www.google.com/search?q=doe...ome..69i57.10823j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've been spat off by a couple of bikes after tank slappers, one of those was on a bumpy road on a GSXR1100L fitted with a steering damper, got spat over the front and broke my foot on the petrol tank,so the damper didn't help much there :D
    Tried riding the GSXR once without the steering damper, feck me, I never tried that again !!! :scream:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    R reg r1 was absolutely horrific..... steering damper bought it was better, only tried to kill me a few times.
    That aside my view is the rs would defiantly benefit from a steering damper.

10. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    80+ is that it..... whimp :mad: thats going steady that man! :joy:

11. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

My Rocket had one fitted when I bought it, and I didn't know what exactly it did till I watched the video.

12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It depends on the roads.....:D

No damper required here

IMG_0091.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Or here :p

France_2018_0913_075258AAsmall.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    No steering damper here... never had one actually, so don’t know if my opinion counts o_O.

Have had some “quick” winding roads in the Alps though, where there’s not much “shame” left on back tire. But hey, if you want one... get it! (Preferably in carbon :cool:)

15. Undermoose

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    Perhaps you aren't aware of what reactive dampers do. They leave the steering as loose or tight as you dial in for their base setting, but when they take a quick jolt they immediately stiffen up. There are the static type too, and these have a set dampening force turning, slow or fast. Obviously your not turning the bars at speed, unless you take a jolt, but the static dampers seem to affect the gyro balance and make parking lot turns pretty annoying to say the least.

16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    According to a google search, Hyperpro seem to be the only company to sell a motorcycle 'Reactive' damper and their explanation of how it works is rather different...
    https://hyperpro.com/steering-dampers/

You do turn the bars at speed, it's called counter steering.
    Here's an explanation of counter steering by a guy who knows a bit about it.
    https://powersports.honda.com/Experience/Article.aspx?Id=090111c080a4c320

• Like Like x 1
  17. Undermoose

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    I own a RSC 75mm hyperpro from another bike, and there is a rumor a bracket may arrive for the speedy this spring. I hate rumors... Scotts has a similar reactive setup, and others do too. Hyperpro just markets it as reactive, and I like the term.

Sure, counter steering, which is why the static pressure dampers are felt more at speed than the "reactive". The counter steering discussion offers more reason for a damper.

18. Undermoose

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    Still no steering damper option found for 2019 Speed Triple RS. Pretty disappointing honestly, however planted this bike feels.

19. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Homegirl gave me a bit of a shake the other day and really got me worked up that triumph didn't send the RS out the factory with one. How can you release 'track inspired' bike without one of the most quintessential track additions.
    Every other liter bike on the market, that i'm aware of, has one from the factory.

20. Undermoose

Apr 7, 2019
    USA
    It turns out Toby may have a static damper option that'll fit. Not reactive like Hyperpro RSC or Scott's, etc. I'm not sure if I care about reactive or not, and thinking a nice soft setting on a static will do the job.