Featured Starting problems and fixes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by crispey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

I checked it out yesterday, I can't remember the resistance reading but I think it was up around 500 Ohm and the sir gap between the pick up and the lug was around 0.8mm so me thinks it's OK. I'll check it again just to double check and see if I was right. But many thanks anyway. ;)

2. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Is the CDI under seat ??? is there only one CDI for both cylinders and how many coils just gives me a idea of ignition system Al

3. Sceptic Al

Hi Pete. Thanks for your ideas to date.
    The CDI is under the tank, (daft place IMO) and there's two separate coils, both under the tank and in a fantastic place to get p!$$ wet through from spray off the road.
    I re-checked the resistance for the pick up and its around 500 Ohm which is in line with the spec in my Haynes so that seems ok.
    I've mapped out the connector and traced all the wiring to each bit of the system and checked everything back from the CDI connector for continuity and everything is ok so there don't appear to be any damaged wires etc. A bloke round the corner who's a retired electronics techie suggested that I check the CDI for open circuits. The idea being that if a component or circuit has failed you should get open circuit indication, therefore prove the CDI is fritzed as each bit of it has to work to get the mother-trucker running. Now that I've identified which socket in the CDI relates to which circuit I can get the meter out and have a prod about to try to identify the offender. This is tomorrows job as it's too cold to be mucking about tonight.:mad:

4. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    So no spark on both cylinders may be coils ok then being separate coils is their a test for CDI in Haynes ? its got be something common to both cylinders only things left volts, earths, shorts to ground, open circuits but would have thought these would have given you signs (engine misfire) when bike was running before sudden failure, Me thinks CDI unit spiked by charging battery surface charge needs to be drawn off before ignition switched on, you of course need to carry out your tests first good luck and keep us posted, I'm now watching the royal variety performance.

5. Sceptic Al

Hi Pete. No there isn't a test for the CDI, Haynes say there is no data available. I'm watching the RVP too, ahh Kylie and the Coorrs, happy days

6. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    right this is a pure guess ... if the throttle jumped to 7 thou could that be throttle body position sensor failure then cdi refuses to try again cos no sensor imput
    dont want to waste your time but may be sensor not short.

8. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Heres a youtube test on coils that might be useful if link works

9. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
  10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Peter the link works fine, but boy oh boy can Americans talk!!! Why use 10 words when 10,000 impresses so much more - NOT !

11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    fuel on, switched it on, pushed the go button, engine spun over the rev counter went round to 7000rpm and stuck there,
    need more imfo on whats bikes doing when u say rev counter went to 700 did it rev to 7000rpm?
    whats it do now when you try it?

12. Sceptic Al

No problem, not a time waster at all.
    When I checked the wiring back from the CDI multi-plug everything was ok continuity wise and resistance. Having spent this morning checking the pins on the CDI I think (hope) that I have identified that the CDI or part of the CDI is 'fritzed'. Most of the pins show a resistance or O/L which I'm informed is expected. If there are Ohms then the component is intact, if it's O/L it's an open circuit, if it's very little Ohms (e.g. 0 or 0.1) its a suspect bit. When I got to pin 17 (to pole 1 on the TPS) it was 0 to 0.1 Ohm, and, as the TPS connects to the Pick Up Coil it would suggest that the CDI had a mental breakdown because it couldn't see the TPS - Pick Up Coil link, therefore "does not compute" and QED "no brum brum"
    The good news (well relatively good news) is that I've found two firms that do checks and repairs/replacements so I'm waiting a return email from both, links below I hope

http://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk

http://www.motomatrix.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
  13. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Al
    Hi mate you need to careful as American newbie on here now:p

14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    A
    Actually there's a few!!

15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I stand by what I said. If I was going to make any kind of presentation - video or otherwise - I would plan it so that the info came across clearly and concisely. That way I would hope to be useful to others.

16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yes Big Lad I know what you mean some of these videos go on and on and on, and it does seem to be lack of planning , I must add that even these vids have got me out of trouble .
    Joyous greetings to all Nations and creeds, left handed people, and those who do doe dont day doe. aswell

• Like Like x 1
  17. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    All important info included in clip and if he never bothered putting it on youtube we could not use it, have you made any youtube clips???

18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Dear Peter, just because you challenge my view does not in any way change it. I prefer my information to be clear and concise. I do not suggest that you must share my view, merely respect my right to have one.

I believe my efforts to help others on this and several other forums speak for themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  19. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    We all have different opinions of the way we view different personalities as in clips on youtube, I have all seen a lot worse but I do admire the person that commits themselves to the effort in putting these clips on youtube to help others that are not sure how to do these tests so I do not have a problem in the way it may come across to me we are not all perfect it would be boring world, I personally could not do any better so would not make a comment unless justified.

20. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #40 Sprinter, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    A forum.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
    "we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"
    synonyms: meeting, assembly, gathering, conference, seminar, convention,colloquy, convocation, congress, rally, council, symposium, conclave,congregation, synod, diet;
    caucus;
    informalget-together;
    rarecolloquium
    "forums were held for staff to air grievances and make suggestions"
    setting, place, scene, context, stage, framework, backdrop;
    medium, means, agency, channel, avenue, vehicle, mechanism,apparatus, auspices

experience
    ɪkˈspɪərɪəns,ɛk-/
    noun
    1. 1.
      practical contact with and observation of facts or events.
      "he had learned his lesson by painful experience"
      synonyms: involvement in, participation in; More
    2. 2.
      an event or occurrence which leaves an impression on someone.
      "audition day is an enjoyable experience for any seven-year old"
      synonyms: incident, occurrence, event, happening, affair, episode, encounter;More
    verb
    1. 1.
      encounter or undergo (an event or occurrence).
      "the company is experiencing difficulties"
      synonyms: undergo, encounter, meet, have experience of, come into contact with, run into, come across, come up against, face, be faced with,confront, be forced to contend with;
      balance
      ˈbal(ə)ns/
      noun
      1. 1.
        an even distribution of weight enabling someone or something to remain upright and steady.
        "she lost her balance and fell"
        synonyms: stability, equilibrium, steadiness, footing
        "I tripped and lost my balance"
      2. 2.
        a situation in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.
        "the obligations of political balance in broadcasting"
        synonyms: fairness, justice, impartiality, egalitarianism, equal opportunity;
      verb
      1. 1.
        put (something) in a steady position so that it does not fall.
        "a mug that she balanced on her knee"
        synonyms: steady, stabilize; More
      2. 2.
        offset or compare the value of (one thing) with another.
        "the cost of obtaining such information needs to be balanced against its benefits"
        synonyms: weigh, weigh up, compare, evaluate, consider, assess, appraise,estimate
        "it is a matter of balancing advantages against disadvantages

• Like Like x 2