Starting On The Side-stand.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by underdoug, Oct 13, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    I tried starting on the side stand the other day and the bike didn't want to start. I put it upright and it started no problem.

Is it bad to start the bike on the side-stand? I would normally do that for a pre-ride inspection.

2. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Did it make a beeping sound then shut down? I had this once. I think it was pressure on the steering lock stopping it from disengaging. Not had it for a year now.

3. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    I almost always start it cold on the side stand. Get the bike out of the garage, turn it around so it faces the street, ready to ride. Put it on the side stand, as I’m standing beside the bike and start it, so it can run a little while I put my jacket, helmet, gloves and what not on.

Never gave it much thought, never had een issue, maybe a sensor somewhere that made a wrong reading?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Don't you pull in the clutch if it's on the stand and release it when started?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    What bike, year, model is it ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    Yes. in neutral. But it was having trouble starting. i'll try again. maybe fuel was low.

7. underdoug

underdoug Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Victoria BC
    no noises, just wouldn't catch while the starter was turning.

8. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Try with the clutch pulled in as previously mentioned (and in neutral of course).

9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
  10. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I've started both my Triumphs on the side stand , my T309 Sprint sometimes played up if unused for a while but I used to prime the carbs first. My T509 Speed Triple only has a side stand and never gives any problem, joys of injection I guess.

11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    All my Triumphs, two Bonnevilles, a Trident 900, Tiger 800 and 900 have started on the side stand without issue. No issue with the Rninet or the Yamaha either. :cool:

12. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Bikes with side stands are meant to be started on them. If it won't crank then it could be a problem with the starter lockout circuit which takes input from the side stand switch, clutch lever switch and neutral indicator switch. Turning over but not firing can be caused by any number of issues but very low fuel level is one, I had that once. On my Husaberg the engine needs to turn over at a minimum speed to fire. If the battery is low and the engine's only just managing to crank there obviously isn't enough power left to fire the ignition and injector.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

My friend's old Trident did this. Outside a dealer and it cranked strongly but wouldn't fire at all. Side stand up, started first prod. Maybe a faulty or dirty stand switch? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

That's what I'm thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
  16. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    2020 T100 Bonnie.....always like to warm up my engine before riding off....so start on side stand....first clutch in....check for a neutral light and fire up.....
    Runs for maybe 3 mins while I get my gear on and keep an ear on the sound of the engine for anything unusual.

Nick in the UK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Surrey BC Canada
    I am guessing dirty or broke switch.

18. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I had a 1000RX back in '86 which developed an intermittent misfire and it turned out to be the sidestand switch. I seem to remember there was a recall for the problem. The position of the SS switch on many bikes means it sits in quite a hostile enviroment. Disconnecting the switch and testing it's operation with a meter, as I did with mine on the RX, is not always a guarantee of it's integrity either as it can suffer from the vibration when riding.