675 Stalling On Throttle Close

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Octoberon, Jul 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've had a problem with my 2008 Speed Triple for a while where it will stall when coming to a stop. It doesn't do this every journey but when it does decide to play up, it'll happen every time I close the throttle. Most rides I'm suffering the problem now.

To be clear, it's not stalling when the throttle is open, only when the revs drop to idle. The bike starts up straight away when I push the button and idles as it should. The problem occurs whether the bike is hot or cold.

I know this isn't an easily diagnosable problem from a forum post but I 'm interested to hear if anyone's had a similar issue, or has any suggestions of the cause.

Thanks,

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    It could well be just a throttle balance issue.
    If your bike is still running the standard fuel map, it’ll be tuned to run lean at idle for emissions which will exacerbate the problem.
    Do you know if a balance has been done recently? How are your mechanical skills?
    It’s an easy enough job if you fancy doing it yourself but you will need to get set up with Tuneecu or some vacuum gauges :)

3. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #3 Octoberon, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    As far as I know everything is standard on the bike. I've had it for 6 years and the problem wasn't there from the start. No balancing done by me but it's going in for a service and a rear caliper refurb soon so I could get them to look at it. I'll have a look at Tuneecu anyway. Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had very similar symptoms (Speed Triple 2010) when I forgot to plug in one of the sensors to the airbox after servicing it.

Handling was rough at low revs and very snatchy when accelerating and engine would die when the throttle closed

Look under the tank and check any sensor connections are tight and no wires have rubbed through

5. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If you suspect it may be some stale fuel/water in the system, you could run a decent dose of RedX
    This would reduce and Ethnol induced water in the fuel rails and remove any glazing from evaporating fuel
    Also Avery 3rd or 4th tank run premium unleaded

• Like Like x 2
  6. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    That's a good shout, thanks. It runs smoothly apart from the stalling but it could still be something as simple as a loose connection so it's worth checking.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Now that is a good point. I'm not sure when I last put petrol in the tank so it probably has lost its original pep. I've got some RedX in the garage somewhere so I'll throw that and a fresh tank of premium unleaded in this weekend. It may not cure the stall but it's a sensible idea anyway, and it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference. Might be a clue at least.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Good luck

Also, open the air box and check a rodent hasn't made it home and blocking the air passages, although that would make it run bad at any speed

9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Agree on the fuel advise, I tend to run race bike on Premium fuel, not because I think there is any massive power gain, more because it does not 'go off' so quick when stood for weeks/months between race meetings.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I usually put a cap full or two of RedX in the tank when it is full, just keeps everything shiny and clean.
    Started my Speed Triple up after 6 weeks in the garage and she ran smooth as could be

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lewishamilton

Lewishamilton New Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Newcastle
    Did you fix this issue?