Sprint 900 Igniter Test Or Schematic

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Twiddler, Aug 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Sep 21, 2019
    UK
    Hi Folks,

Just getting close to the end of a re-build project on my 97 Sprint. and I'm getting no spark on any cylinder. I have 12v at all the coils and the pick-up coil reads the correct 530 ohms all the way up to the igniter. Does anyone know what common component failure these things suffer from or is there a schematic available anywhere for them?

Thanks

Twiddler

IMG_5982.jpeg

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Well the pick up coil can occasionally read ok when it is u/s but the probability is that your ECU is not chopping power to the coils. Earlier Triumphs used Gill components from Lymington in Hants but I doubt you would get any change out of them on a 23 yr old item.
    I suggest finding a local tech college lecturer who might point you at a competent student with access to an electronic lab and soldering iron. He would likely appreciate the cash and challenge......
    Or a breaker?

3. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Sep 21, 2019
    UK
    Thanks for the idea, I am an electronics engineer so not really a problem to do the fault finding, however a schematic of the circuit would be a great help. maybe I will contact Gill to see if they have one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Thought you were brave opening the box!

5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Saves me opening mine - although, to be fair, I've never really felt the need!:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I would be more inclined to check the air gap on the reluctor wheel as well as the plug connections to the pickup. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1