Spousal Support

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Old dumb arse, Sep 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    So I'm getting a divorce from the pyschopath that stabbed me twice. Come to find out not only does she get half of the marital assets, but I have to make monthly payments of a percentage of my salary for the next 121 months. Judge will decide on a percentage.

Haven't heard what that percentage might be, any guess?

• WTF WTF x 6
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Law must be different in the US. There's no way I'd allow the officials to take one of my testicles. Monthly percentage will depend upon your existing outgoings and whether there are payments required for children etc etc so hard to comment.

3. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    No children of my own (that I know of). No EXEMPTIONS to spousal support. As long as they didn't kill you. No EXEMPTIONS is specifically stated in the law.

4. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Each state can be different. I was divorced in Texas (retired military) and the rumor was she'd get 50% of my pension and everything else. My lawyer told me that is not true, but she would probably get up to 50% of my Air Force pension. This could be a very long story, but to keep it short her lawyer was too stupid to ask for 50% and asked for the $$ amount that was 50% at the time -which is now only about 35% due to cost of living raises, etc. My lawyer was smarter than hers. :p

I did have to pay her the full pension for one year, though, just to get her out of my hair.

You know what they say, the reason divorces are so expensive is because they are worth it.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    I have bought a woman I no longer like a house in the past and I will raise a glass to you.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Get yourself a knowledgable lawyer if you haven't already, ODA, and it will most likely save you money in the long run even taking lawyers expenses into account. Nothing is absolutely set in stone as I learned when I set a precedent in Arizona during my divorce 12 years ago. There are formulas but they are guidelines. My ex apparently thought I was stupid or so shell-shocked that I wouldn't hire a lawyer at all and certainly not an exceptional one.

I learned a ton about divorce through my own divorce. One of the main things I learned is that there are lots of variables involved in individual settlement. One example (of many) is that it matters how long you were married in most cases and with most judges. From what you've shared in the past, I suspect that your spouse may not have a lawyer at all much less a good one but that's conjecture on my part and I don't think I'd chance it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    The trouble is, all you get in court is law and no justice.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    I think I got a good attorney after talking with two, his ex was bi-polar, and quite knowledgeable, even in the major real estate dispute that the ex is causing, and the agreed lawsuit between me and my siblings. Yes had to be done because the pyscho wouldn't sign a document. That being said my siblings are sueing me over the deal, I just don't have to appear on the court date or the pyscho and it goes into default judgment. Who the judge would throw out anyway because she has no just claim. Siblings are not legally required to give me my share after divorce but we're only talking 15k.

9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad you’re securing a good lawyer. It sounds very complicated even beyond your ex-to-be due of the sibling disputes. :( I hope all goes as smoothly for you it can under very unsmooth circumstances. :kissing:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Thanks KS is a no fault state, 4k retainer so far cause she's a pyscho, good thing is she's a know it all and doesn't need an attorney.

• Like Like x 7
  11. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#11 DCS222, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2020
    I wish you the best mate, I know they won’t account for all the hardship and emotional trauma that you suffered trying to be the “good husband” and holding the partnership together all those years... I imagine the shit you’ve been put through is significantly more than you have let us know, and what you did let us know was already more than anybody should bear.

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Friday is a court date for a civil lawsuit vs my siblings for my 25% interest in a property. Because the pyscho spouse won't sign a document, so she will get 25% of nothing. Pretty sure I'm going to forget to go, and she will too. So default judgment for the plaintiff siblings. I fully expect after the divorce some funds will be coming my way. Ain't law fun.

• Like Like x 9
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    “WomAn, know your place”. :rolleyes: Singular. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    I'll gladly send you one @Duckadiledundee with 40 $500 amazon gift cards (tax free), sure she's defective so no returns.

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It’s good to have lofty goals, Duck. ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Dig a deep hole and hope for an understanding judge...

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Oh shit forgot about court last Friday, and so did the ex.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Have matters progressed @Old dumb arse?
    I was interested in pyschos court capacity

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    You were self isolating due to covid-like symptoms.

She on the other hand didn’t turn up because you had verbally agreed an amicable split with no strings attached.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Court date the 16th (60 day cool off period). Lawyer told me not to get a job in case the judge thinks I should pay her 80% of my income each month. Hmm let's see 80% x (zero income for the last 6 month average)=0 smart lawyer, ain't legal guidelines set in stone wonderful.

• Like Like x 6