Sport Vs Sport Touring Tires

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, that’s good for a sport tire. That’s not a lot of km’s out of the roadtec’s though. If I can only get 11500 km’s out of a sport touring tire I’ll stay with a sport tire. Thanks for sharing.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I would have thought 11500 kms out of a sport touring tyre is good.is that not more than 3 times as much as you would get from sport tyres?

3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    If memory serves me well I got at least 8000 km’s from my Rosso 3. Not bad from a sticky sport tire. But I keep reading about ST tires getting double that. Many factors are at play here of course.

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ve just changed my rear Roadtec 01 after 7300 miles and it had tread left but the handling wasn’t quite right, the bike needed quite a lot of countersteer to track where I wanted it to go, so I could have gone to 7500+ miles and been legal. But the idea for me is how the bike rides, not maximum mileage out of a tyre, tho I have to say owt over 5000 miles from a rear tyre that allows you to ride briskly with confidence at good lean angles is ok with me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #25 Stue007, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    I think @SteveRS is right, latest sport touring tires are really that good nowadays. Tires have developed that much over the last years, so for most of us it would be the right choice on country roads. Sport tires are more and more in trouble because of their narrow positioning.

Because the latest development of the sport touring category is so good the segment of sport tires is under pressure.

However, I'm going to exchange the Pirelli Supercorsa SP when they are done for Rosso III's, too. Even if a modern sport touring tyre should be the better choice for the average naked bike rider like me... :p

Should be as good as the Metzeler Roadtec M7 RR's (sister tyre) - fitted to many power naked bikes around my area. I like the looks of the Pirelli profile - love this lightning design, haha...
    :yum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Supercorsa SP is a superb tyre on dry conditions in summer time when air temperature gets really hot. But on country roads I doubt that even aggressive riders can test out the limits of this kind of tyre. You have to get on the track for that. Temperature range of super sport tires is comparatively narrow and you won't get the Supercorsas on temperature on normal spring or fall conditions here in Germany...

• Like Like x 3
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've got PR5's on my Tracer. Have done 8500 kms on them in mixed riding and there is loads left.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    You won’t regret the Rosso III, it’s a great performer. My brother has 4500 km’s on Rosso III’s with his mt09 with no significant wear. Another close tire to that one would be the Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S22. It’s supposed to last longer as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    I have used Dunlop Sportsmart 2's for several years and I like them a lot. I agree that they can be a bit slippery when cold but once warmed up I had complete confidence in them. last tyre change I had Pilot Road 5's fitted by accident (due to mis-communication with the tyre fitter.) I wasn't real happy about it as I had used a set of Road 3's once and didn't like them. because of the mistake, the bike shop gave me a discount on the 5's and I kept them. I am really impressed. They are excellent in the wet as expected, but on a recent trip which involved a lot of twisties, they were great and I would even say confidence inspiring. The transition from the soft side compound to the harder wearing centre compound is obvious and after some spirited riding the softer sides of the tyre were feathered up like you might expect from a sports tyre.
    I've done about 8500km so far and I reckon I've got about 3000km left. If I get about 11-12k out of them I'll be happy. (About twice what I get out of a sports tyre.)

• Like Like x 3
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone’s input, its definitely helping me in the decision making for my next tire.

10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I used Conti Race Attack on the front and Road Attack on the back of the GT and like that set up.
    The thing with a large tourer is you end up making it work,too hard on the twistie roads, and they held up great.

11. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #31 Stue007, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    The more twisty roads you ride the quicker your tires wear out - the abrasion on the sides of your carcass is the crucial factor then.

With a view to my weekend area (Eifel - a twisty wide play ground with the famous Nürburgring race track in between) and riding profile even one of the latest optimized sport tires won't last longer than 5 to 6 Tkm I guess. If you drive a lot on flat landscape with straight country roads I can imagine the mentioned mileages in this thread. Yes, a sport touring tyre should last significantly longer, but depends on your riding profile as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a comparison: to my adventure bike I fitted the Pirelli Scorpian Trail II - tires of the touring category, which should last even longer than touring sport tires. But more than 10 to 11 Tkm I won't squeeze out of them on my BMW GS - a summer trip to the alps once a year included. Again it depends on riding area, more rounded or aggressive riding style and last but not least the power of your bike.

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    My god those roads look incredible, especially the last photo. Where I live I ride highways before before getting to twisties. So a lot of my riding is upright. I’ve never worn down the sides of a tire very much before the centre is flat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shellmanstu

Shellmanstu New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Chelmsford Essex
    The standard Pirellis are too slow to warm up for normal riding, nearly had a high side leaving work one afternoon, and I wasn’t even giving it the beans. I’ve now fitted Road 5’s, and they are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing how many miles I can get out of them!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If you are getting 8000kms which is almost 5000 miles out of the rosso 3 (that seems a heck of a lot of miles from a sport tyre:confused:) then you will definitely get way more than double that with a sports touring tyre

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    Does anyone find the Road 5's give a harsh ride (feel every bump)?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Strood

Strood New Member

May 28, 2017
    Inverbervie
    Chester
    I thought that as well bit hard.
    So lowerd couple of psi on the back from standard settings happy now.
    Love them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well, that’s what I’m hoping for, but hopefully not at the cost of feedback.

18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I wonder if the road surface condition has a lot to do with the amount of kilometres we get on our tires. Around here the roads are pretty good.

19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hahaha! Love your comment "the guy could ride the crate a bike comes in & still be quick". That's awesome. :joy: I'm gonna steal that one from you, if you don't mind!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'll be bookmarking this super helpful thread and referring back to it for sure! Lots of food for thought. I live in Tucson and our road quality is quite bad (and I'm being kind) and not getting any better. I ride all through our summers here, too, and the ambient air temps regularly go well over 100°F. Any tire suggestions relative to these two variables? Oh, and I regularly ride our local mountain, Mt. Lemmon, which is very twisty--goes from 2500' in elevation to to 8500' in 25 miles.On those 100° days it can be a cool 75° at the top. :cool: Otherwise a fair amount of straight line stuff or some routes with nice big sweepers.

• Like Like x 2