Spoke corrosion

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by pasher, Dec 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aussieamerica

Aussieamerica Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    My 02 America has stainless spokes and they are still in perfect condition, the tank was hand pin striped and initialled on the assembly line and the tank badges actually screw on. What I'm saying is that while these new Triumph models are all full of some of the latest in technology they seem to be losing the quality control that was found in the earlier Hinckley bikes. I realise that the whole industry is dollar driven and savings achieved by using tank decals instead of screw on tank badges saves the company money then that's the way things are. Going back to the original subject of spoke corrosion I agree with the other responses that to start seeing corrosion so soon in such a short period of time has got to be so disappointing as these bikes aren't cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes there is a bit of £££££ v age I agree bikerman

• Like Like x 1
  3. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere
    The old adage 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind.

I expect to get a quality product for my £10k

Terry

• Like Like x 2
  4. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I've got a 1977 Suzuki GT500 in my shed. 39 years old and I have no idea of it's history prior to me buying it a few years back. Chrome rims and zinc plating on the spokes - no sign of any corrosion.

My shed is concrete and is better insulated than my house and fitted with a frost heater, there are absolutely no dampness or condensation issues. After washing my bikes I thoroughly dry them and take them for a run. Given these factors, any form of rust on a bike less than 4 months old is wholly unacceptable.

• Like Like x 4
  5. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    ok - so its looking like this is a genuine issue and not an isolated incident on my 120. Also, as its only on my back wheel and the front is fine I suspect its a materiel/plating problem so easily traceable/fixable for Triumph.
    Haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but will leave it until after Christmas before chasing them again. Hopefully they will accept responsibility and send me a new wheel, or is that being optimistic?

6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Pasher strike whilst the irons hot.

If you drag your heels then the dealer will do the same.

I'd be contacting them every day until a satisfactory result was achieved :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Well I got my T120 in May and my spokes are still in perfect condition from what I can see.

8. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Wheel replacement approved. Dealer will contact me when its in to arrange bike collection and replacement.
    Obviously not happy that this has happened in the first place, but am impressed with the dealer and Triumph's speed of response and resolution, provided, of course, that the new wheel isn't in the same condition in four months time!!

• Like Like x 4
  9. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    My bike goes back to dealer tomorrow. Like you, I hope that if the wheel is replaced it doesn't just go the same way. I just can't be bothered with hassle.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Good news pasher, at least they have recognised there is a problem and are prepared to sort you out, which is probably the least they can do, still not acceptable in this day and age of technology and materials available. Good luck when it is all sorted out.:):)

11. Woznotwoz

Woznotwoz Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Morecambe
    Yep at least they've responded well.

Just a thought - The black wheels you can purchase in Triumph's accessory list are supposed to have stainless spokes. Couldn't you ask if your replacement wheels have stainless steel spokes as well?

12. tj2

tj2 Member

Sep 21, 2016
    nowhere

but true........

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Hmm, had one, before all that happened!

14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well, wanna laugh?
    The year was 2008...
    Went to 'Eddys of Leeds' then triumph dealer only to find out they got rid of triumph to be replaced with HD un be known to me.
    As we were there I was just walking back out of the door when a free coffee/hot chocolate/tea was offered to my wife................................................... Well, yes she accepted strangely enough whilst I ended looking around. Spotted a nightster1200 (single seat)and ended up test riding a 1200 sportster. The bike handled quite a lot better than I expected so put an order in for a new one as used ones weren't around, ordered a dual seat as remember they were single and they said it needs pegs as well so ordered those too and a sissy bar for good measure. First time out it hit the bump stops on every bump so set arse to hard and only slightly better. In the mean time it rode well without a passenger so I looked at upgrading the rear suspension. A short time after that on a bumpy country lane corner the front po-go sticked and hopped badly round a bend which un nerved me.
    Took it to first service and explained the forks and they told me in not so many words it may need thicker oil and it's my problem, proper dick heads I thought, not impressed and whilst there I spotted the test bike which I took out and saw afterwards everything was majorly upgraded on it so you thought that was what you were getting. Sold it at 6 months old!

Strangely though I've now gone full circle and bought the bonneville I wanted at that time!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Anyway Sussed it. Went to buy an other old bike from someone years ago who drag raced a sportster and he show me a 1340 in his garage and grinned slyly.......
    It was an unbadged Kawasaki vn/vl thing with a Harley engine shoehorned in and what a proper job at a fraction of the cost!! £2500 all in! Now that's the way to do it.

16. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yep:(:mad::confused:

17. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Just to let you all know that I had a warranty replacement rear wheel fitted this morning. Rear spokes are all shiny again. We'll see how long that lasts this time round.
    I asked the dealer if Triumph had an explanation and all he said was that they've had other reports of this and that they were investigating.
    Hope others here with this issue get a satisfactory resolution.
    Cheers
    Pa

• Like Like x 4
  18. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Great that you got some satisfaction. My local dealer is getting back to Triumph after they rejected the warranty claim. Will give them a phone tomorrow. 20170109_110403.jpg 20170109_110126.jpg

19. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    How old is your bike? That corrosion looks worse than what mine was.

20. old git

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    I got it in late August.