speedy loosing coolant into crankcase

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jbird231, May 7, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jbird231

jbird231 New Member

May 7, 2016
    Eastern Ohio US
    first post here from across the pond. It seems in the states very few people like to put miles on these bikes. Not a lot of help so far over here. 2010 Speed triple with just a few ticks over 30k miles. up until this rock solid bike, no issues. first ride of the season went for a 220 mile ride. On a fresh oil change. got home and found I had lost over a quart of coolant into the crankcase. No smoke, or loss in power. no oil in coolant resevoir. I did a cooling system presssure test at the rad neck filler tube and pressurized to just under 2 bars. did not bleed off for the 45 minutes i had it hooked up. I guess my question is what is more likely, a head gasket failur, or an oil pump seal failure. I am what I would consider on a mechanical knowledge scale a 7 out of 10 guys. I do all my own maintenance including valve clearance checks, but have never opened the top end of a motor to do a head gasket. what am I looking for to determine if head gasket failed?

thanks in advance

jbird

2. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Has your bike got a engine oil cooler in radiator if so this may need to be by passed to check if coolant is not entering engine this way first.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    HiJbird, you can buy dye kits of Ebay that identify whether you have a leaking head gasket or not.