Speedy flyscreen visor

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Victor, May 22, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    Took the visor off the flyscreen that had been fitted from new last weekend. I have always felt it provided a decent reprieve from full on windage for its size and also provides a small amount of shelter for my hands by deflecting wind around the bars, all this with very little wind noise or buffeting.
    However I had my first long run today (commuted a couple of times this week on it) without it fitted and the difference was became even more evident. The airflow is much smoother at all speeds I dare push it to and there is still a small amount of wind diflection provide, but the biggest difference is the lack of shelter from the elements on my hands. Due to the weather forecast I put on my wet weather three seasons gloves. Even with temperatures around 14 deg, my hands were bloody freezing after a couple of hours.
    All considered though, I kind of prefer it without it, so just need to decide what to do with the three mounting holes?
    Or try running it without the flyscreen altogether. Has anyone made that change and?

Mark

2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    After a Street and a Speed without the flyscreen and as the '12 had a free one I kept it on,though I didn't notice much difference.
    I did offer a flyscreen up but thought it was ugly so didn't bother fitting it.

3. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    I had the visor fitted to my '11 s3, and it worked well I thought, but it took a little away from the looks at the front end.

My new s3 has only the fly screen fitted and I think it's better for not having the visor.

As for the holes, the cheap option would be stainless button head screws. Expensive option, new Carbon fly screen. I wouldn't run it without the fly screen but there is no reason for that other than which look I prefer, and perhaps a little more buffeting due to the shape of the clock assembly, which I personally wouldn't want.

ATB

Bob

4. Victor

Victor Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    North Wales
    image.jpeg

Thanks for the replays guys.
    I have gone with 9.5mm hole plugs from Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-hole-plug-grommet-95mm-10-pack-rg78k
    They fit nice and snug in the holes once the rubber well nuts are removed. They come black and don't look to out of place as they are. However having a bit of time on my hands this afternoon I decided to have a a go at painting them. I had some Volvo (yes I know Volvo driver!! But it is a V60 R Design 5 cyl) Passion red in a rattle can left over from painting the replacement bumper tow eye cover that some thieving scum made off with a couple of months ago.

Started off by keying them with 1200 w&d followed by 3 coats of Halfords plastic red primer, 3 coats of Volvo Pasion red base coat and 3 coats of clear lacquer and left to dry in the sun for a few hours.

Fitted them in the flyscreen this evening and colour match is not that bad. May try and source Triumph Diablo red, but will see what they look like in different lights first.

This now gives me the option of visor for longer runs and winter riding without to much faffing about.

5. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Nice job!

Why didn't i think of that??? :)

Bob

6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    looks pretty good to me,i wouldn't bother trying to get the Diablo red as i think it looks better as a contrast in colour