Featured Rideout Speedy And Sandi T. Celebrate International Female Ride Day!

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, Aug 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Bikerman. Well, I love riding and photography,--and sharing both. And I also love your animated emoji collection! ;):)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    6E1957B8-8CA9-4724-9942-CCD9004690D5.png Meanwhile....at the Sturgis Rally...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'll never get over how HUGE those plates are in the UK, Ken! :eek: There's nothing subtle about them, that's for sure. :joy:

image.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    No surprise at all about Sturgis, Ken. We were just waiting for that shoe to drop. :rolleyes: I read that Sturgis was the largest gathering of people in the world since COVID hit. We've had acquaintances who have texted or e-mailed to see if we were there. Ha! Mr. Sandi and I aren't quite that dumb. :expressionless: I remember reading pre-Sturgis that one of their mitigation strategies was to place "sanitation stations" with hand sanitizer on Main Street. Right....that's like spitting into the ocean! :scream: We're very glad we made the choice to attend last year because we certainly wouldn't have gone this year! I predict the Sturgis-traced spread will continue to grow. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Sandi T;
    Oh dear, I am upset :sob:;).
    There’s me thinking I have a nice neat # plate! That one looks bigger than it really is, and that because I’m used to taking pictures of the huge fish I’ve caught, so I know how to compose the picture so they look bigger than they are :p. All fishermen do that, so I’m told!
    Actually, that IS a small illegal plate as it only measures (Imperial just for you Sandi) 7”x 5”.
    Here, for comparison, is a picture of the plate that was on the bike when I got it. This measures (Regulation size) 9”x7”.
    I can (Along with a lot more members here) remember when we had to have a reg plate on the front mudguard/ fender, to be visible from both sides of the bike, as well as the rear. Think it got deemed too dangerous when elf & Safety arrived.
    Cheers,Ken.
    PS. The plate is exactly the same width as my rear tyre/tire.

C8E4BF1C-E7AF-4A7D-BEEF-43F01807509E.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Kenbro
    Ken, your post inspired me to take a tape measure out to the garage this afternoon to see what our U.S. motorcycle plates measure rather than "eyeballing" it. They are 7" x 4". And that's Imperial as I don't know how to convert! :p:joy:

Do you folks in the UK have options to purchase personalized and speciality plates? I have the "Standard" Arizona plates on my car and motorcycles but check out all these available options for speciality plates just in the state of Arizona! And for an additional fee, you can personalize them rather than get a random number-letter plate number, too.

Here are the ten available motorcycle plate options. I wanted to get the Route 66 plate for my black Dyna when I had that bike but at the time they didn't offer that design for motorcycles, only for cars/trucks. I had a long conversation about my disappointment with that with a Motor Vehicle Dept. clerk at the time. Lo and behold, they added that plate about a year ago. I like to think maybe that conversation was part of the reason they now include it for motorcycles.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.31.02 PM.png
    There is a much larger array of automobile speciality plate options available. Any of them may be purchased at a cost and the proceeds go to fund a particular cause or organization. BTW, the motorcycle plates are smaller than the automobile plates. Thank goodness for that! I didn't measure my car plate but I'll bet it's about, say, 9" x 7". ;):joy:

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.31.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.32.13 PM.png

• Like Like x 4
  7. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    9C3FD06E-8AD9-48EE-A2B8-451825AE6646.png Sandi T;
    Yes, reg. numbers can be bought, either from our vehicle licensing authority (D.V.L.A.) or, from some companies (Elite springs to mind) that buy and sell them. Private individuals can Olson sell theirs if they already own it.
    You can’t make your own up.
    Two or three initials and a low number (AB 1) are offered for sale for large sums on money.
    Letters and numbers that can be doctored by altering the spacing (Illegal but often done) and adding a strategically placed screw or rivet, also sell for too much money.
    I can’t afford such luxuries, but in the family we have M 1 AXT (MIA XT) and M 1 SSY (MISSY).

A typical car reg. plate measures approx. 20”x 4 1/2”. Sometimes a car or van will have a square (To fit vehicle design) rear reg. plate.
    The picture is just a regular issue plate to illustrate size.

Your varieties look much more colourful and attractive.
    Cheers,
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hey, @JtC . Just checking in to see how your daughter is getting on with her V-Star 250 and whether she's enjoying becoming / being a biker! Please give her my best wishes from a "fellow" woman rider. :):cool:

• Like Like x 1