Speedo Not Working On A Speed Triple 2003

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Rhubarb, Feb 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Yatton, Somerset
    Hi - I have 2003 Speed Triple and the speedo doesn't always work when I start it up, so I end up switching it on and off again a few time 'till it does. The rest of the display works as normal but I get no speed reading. I'm obviously no engineer but I wanted to know if others have had the same issue, and if so what did you do to fix it? Other than cough lots of dosh at a garage...

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Not seen this problem myself but likely to be a dirty/corroded connector. Trace the wiring back from the clocks and separate any connectors, clean with switch cleaner and refit. Exposed connector at the front near headlights is most likely culprit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    It may be the magnetic fitting in the speedo drive in the front wheel. Usually when they break they fail totally, but I had one that cracked and failed intermittently. That would be the first place I would look. They are expensive to replace if you go OEM because you have to buy the whole fitting but there are aftermarket parts available on Ebay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Triumph...SwPhdU-1ev:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true#vi-ilComp The list of compatible vehicles includes the 2002-2004 Speed Triple. Care is required while fitting to ensure the notches in the drive ring match the tags in the wheel hub.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clive Harris

Clive Harris New Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Portchester
    Hi
    I had exactly the same issue with my 2003 Speed triple,the cure was getting
    the main triumph agent to check the tune in the ecu .
    which cured the problem straight away,
    The main agent aka 3 Cross motorcycles only charged £25 to check and install the correct tune.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Yatton, Somerset
    Thanks mate. It’s in for a service soon so I’ll add that list.

• Like Like x 1