Speedmaster As A Tourer

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Stefan Harnesk, Feb 14, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    Hey there ! So I've been out of the Triumph familty since 2020, bought some German bike
    Anyway, the Speedmaster has caught my interest since I've been getting more and more into cruisers and I kind of wanna try owning one and see how it is.

I tried one in 2019 and thought it was a good ride but my question is this: Since I will be wanting to go touring on it, and tour some distances (Northern Sweden to anywhere rest of Europe basically) How does the small tank hold on to touring and is the bike something you all can objectively recommend as a touring option ?

2. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    My guess is that @Dartplayer will be able to give you a bit more info, as he has done some fantastic tours in New Zealand.

3. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    #3 Stefan Harnesk, Feb 14, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Ahh lovely, cant wait to hear it

I had plans on getting some extra stuff for it like heated grips, panniers and a luggage rack behind the pillion seat, should be enough for touring.

4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Stefan, I did 43k km in 5 years on my 2018 Speedmaster using 1 or 2 Krega 20l drypacks for touring.
    You could get the set and mount behind you and they act as a comfy backrest. I didn’t have to take fuel, as we have Petrol every 300km at max, so that would be the only question for your travels. The 16litre tank was economical and even better with higher octane if wanting to go further.
    I added a Corbin seat to get 300km without stopping, but found 200km was fine on a new standard or comfort seat replacement.

IMG_2805.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Hi Stefan,

I would strongly recommend you try and get a long test ride before purchase. I bought one after a short test ride, but found it very uncomfortable after an hour in the saddle. Changing seats didn't help.

Dartplayer is right about fuel economy, surprisingly good. I bought a 2L fuel can to carry extra fuel but never needed it.

I decatted mine and fitted an x pipe. Engine spins up quicker and sounds nicely deeper.

I sold the bike after my first tour on it. Went back to a sports tourer.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    That sounds like a really good setup, filling up probably wont be an issue, seems like most of Europe has petrolstations pretty frequently, atleast in my experiences traveling to Italy through Austria in 2019 and to France last Summer

I hope I wont have to get a corbinseat, but I will if the need comes. The seat on my R 1250 gs A is killing me after a long day, but Im also pretty heavy so maybe thats the problem

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    Hi John, hopefully I can have one for an entire day, as the place doing my bmw services also sell Triumphs so im hoping to get one as a loaner for a day since the beemer will get annual service + a warranty fix on the shaftdrive

Im interested in trying different bikes, Ive only owned three since I took my license in 2015 and two of them were adventure bikes and Ive been thinking about custom for a while now. The Kawasaki Vulcan S is also an option as is the Honda Rebel

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    I do like the Kriega bag on the back

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Stefan,
    My 2018 has now 40,000 km and most of that was a trip across Canada in 2022. I do have a few additions for comfort: Corbin Solo Seat, Risers and up and overs, long haul Triumph Windscreen. After the trip, I realized that this bike was totally capable of the long journey, but it excels on more secondary highways as opposed to the high speed freeways. Mostly because of wind, which can wear you down over long periods of time. The windshield does help but it would depend on a persons height and the type of helmet.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    Yeah, seems the stockseat is an issue for most ppl. Regarding wind and height I'm almost 6'3 so it'd be fair to call me tall.

I bought a Simson helmet full-face last year, didnt get to try it much though

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Me too Stefan, I use on my Thunderbird Storm now. Being 6’3” you would benefit from a Corbin, as they sat me down and right back for more leg room. Not sure of freight, but reach out if you buy a Speedy as I still have mine for sale.
    US$1800 replacement cost with glove box, but would consider decent offer

IMG_4523.jpeg

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4498.jpeg

12. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    Yeeeah, thats alot of dollars, Im sure its a nice seat but thats way too much for me, If I need one I'll look in Sweden

13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi I had no problems touring on my speedmaster 1200. Like @Dartplayer I used a roll pack with plenty of room for the essentials. Fuel economy was good and no problems in UK or Europe finding fuel in my experience.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Chrisfla1

Chrisfla1 New Member

May 29, 2023
    Florida
    Hi, Stefan! I'm a 5'5" 65-year old woman, but a veteran (>40 yrs.) motorcyclist and a serious long-distance rider. Last summer I traded in my 2007 HD Ultra Classic (pretty heavy at 850 lbs. without gear, that I had ridden from Florida to California and back) for my 2020 Speedmaster. BTW, when I first sat on the Speedmaster it was love at first sit! I love the stock seat! Anyway, it had a few mods when I got it (with 3K miles) and I did a few more. It had the mini-apes and the waxed cloth side-bags (add-ons from Triumph), and I added the highway bars that meet at the bottom of the radiator (also from Triumph), the Triumph passenger backrest and pad, and the rack behind the pad. In addition, I'd saved my Harley Kuriakin (sp?) pegs and put them on the highway bars, and, best of all (because I couldn't ride without it), I added a full-fairing-style Slipstreamer windshield that has plastic lowers that protect my knees. That was a godsend! This past August, after I'd had it for 6 weeks, I rode it from Florida to the last four US states I needed to complete riding in "the lower 48," a bucket list item for my old age (they were ND, ID, WA, and OR). That was about a 6400 mile ride that (since I took my time), I finished in three weeks. The motorcycle needed nothing on the trip but a new back tire. I was cautious, so I only rode 110 or so miles before I stopped for gas (I planned the route and gas stops the night before with Google maps). No problems whatsoever, and I loved loved loved the cruise control! I did find that the gas mileage dropped precipitiously when I rode over 70mph (the highway speed limit in some western states is 80), so I didn't speed much. The other thing I love about this bike is, the more I thrash it, the more it loves me! So take your long-distance trips without hesitation. If this old woman can do it, I know you can too!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 2
  15. Bill MacFarlane

Bill MacFarlane New Member

Dec 2, 2023
    Conder
    Closest I've come to a long tour is 5 hours from Canberra (Australia) to Albury - New South Wales. It was my first long'ish trip with my 2009 Speedy and also my first on a forward control bike. There was a novel written about the trip by an army friend of mine...Major Bumsore. I'm saving my pennies for a Corbin seat now, so he doesn't have to write any more chapters!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Chrisfla1

Chrisfla1 New Member

May 29, 2023
    Florida
    I did the trip alone, but a nice lady at a convenience store took this pic. Turns out I took more clothes than I needed. Since I was only riding 6-7 hour (300-350 mile) days, I threw my clothes in the hotel washers/dryers whenever I needed clean clothes. My 17" laptop was in a knapsack in a plastic bag in the milk crate tied on the rack. Those (too-small) Triumph side bags certainly were stuffed full! That's how I did it.

48 State Trip Snip.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Where was the kitchen sink. :joy:. Nice one, you look well happy too. Good for you. :):)

• Like Like x 1
  18. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Chrisfla1, I took too much stuff on my bucket list trip across Canada. Most of it I did not use. You learn as you go I guess...

20220707_141225.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden

Wow, that's truly something ! Sounds like a fantastic trip.

Yeah I know I can do it, Ive been down to Austria and France on my bike, IM more curious as to things like the stockseat will treat my behind after a few hours

Well, only thing to do ijs to take it on a full day of riding and see. I gonna try the Kawasaki Vulcan S aswell

20. Stefan Harnesk

Aug 15, 2017
    Sweden
    Well judging by all these pictures it certainly seems like the speedy can do it. But as I mentioned in previous post the Vulcan S also has my eye and Ive tried that one already

Honda Rebel is an option too