Speedmaster 865 Battery Draining On Start

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Hydrophobic Membrane, Apr 3, 2024.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hydrophobic Membrane

Hydrophobic Membrane Active Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    #1 Hydrophobic Membrane, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    This started happening after the bike was laid up over winter and the battery had been on a trickle charger. No issues before this.

The bike turns over a couple of times and then the solenoid clicks. Charger indicates the battery needs charging so I tried letting the battery charge up a couple of times after checking the battery connections were good and the same thing happens.

I assumed the battery was bad, so I bought a new one. I'll remove the starter motor, hopefully later today, and check to see if it's partly seized.

Thought I ask here in case anyone else has had a similar issue.

All replied gratefully received :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Are you saying the same thing happens with a new battery?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MightyBoosh

MightyBoosh Active Member

Mar 29, 2023
    Uk
    Check your earth terminals for corrosion. Did you keep it inside?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Yep

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    #5 Hydrophobic Membrane, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Kept inside. Checked earth terminals and looked ok. Will double check and clean them up again to see if this has any effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    If you have a multimeter and BEFORE you disturb anything, run a continuity and resistance check first.
    Pick your contact points carefully and ideally run from the base of the battery post, not wire connection, to the starter motor mounting bolt.
    Let us know your findings?

Obviously the above is for the negative but a similar test could be performed on the positive side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Set the multimeter to the 12v DC range, then connect the positive lead to the positive battery post and the negative lead to the positive terminal on the starter motor. This will give you any voltage drop under load through the cable itself and the starter solenoid while cranking the engine. There should be virtually 0 drop. If thats good and the battery is new it must be the starter itself.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Thank you for your reply :)

Using the 200 Ohm (the lowest) range on my multi meter:

Negative battery terminal to chassis: 0 Ohms.

Positive battery terminal to solenoid: 0 Ohms.

Solenoid to starter motor: 0 Ohms.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Thank you for your reply :)

Multimeter swet to the 12v DC range, positive lead connected to positive battery post, negative lead connected to positive terminal on starter motor:

Voltage drops from 13.8v to around 2.5v when the engine is cranked.

Safe to assume it's the starter motor?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So based on that and your next post, the wiring and battery connections check out as good and no further work needed on those.

Just in case its anything to do with the solenoid, I have known it before on other bikes, do a voltage check coming out of the starter solenoid with the starter switched pressed ( you will need to disconnect lead from the starter motor end and insulate it).

Do you get full battery voltage?

If yes then starter motor is your issue.
    Pull the starter motor and give it a once over as that is sounding like the culprit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The 13.8 v means the battery is fully charged and the connection to the starter is open circuit (solenoid not engaged). The 2.5v reading when cranking is way too much. It means you're losing 2.5v between the battery and the starter motor which is basically 2.5v less to run the starter. It should be as close to 0v as possible with 0.5v absolute max.
    Either the solenoid itself or cable connections could cause this drop. A bad connection can still show 0 ohms resistance with a meter but it will increase when under load and required to flow 100A or whatever the starter draws. You could try briefly connecting a jump lead between the + battery terminal and the + starter terminal to see if it cranks, doing so with the multimeter connected across the battery (12v range) will show drop at the battery which should be less than 2v. The starter could still be a problem but that 2.5v drop across the cable and solenoid needs sorting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Full battery voltage so will pull starter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The problem is, testing as above and not on full load, onerous readings can arise i.e. resistances can appear to not exist.

Under the circumstances you described I'd go for corrosion of the starter motor bearings or electrical contacts. A simple strip, clean and grease may solve your issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Limey Rider

Limey Rider New Member

Jun 20, 2023
    Hartford Wisconsin
    Had this issue with my 900 America and it turned out to be the CCA was not enough. you need to have at least 210 CCA to turn these puppys over well, mostly because of the head light drawing power with ignition turned on.
    i didn't read all the posts in the thread here but I went to a higher CCA and problem solved. hope this helps.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Many thanks for your reply :)

The new battery is 170 CCA. I'll make sure it's fully charged and remove the headlight bulb to see if that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Many thanks for your reply :)

I'll pull it and do as you suggest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    That battery is far too weak for these bikes. Be careful or you may damage the sprag clutch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Many thanks for your comment. Which battery would you recommend?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Limey Rider

Limey Rider New Member

Jun 20, 2023
    Hartford Wisconsin
    I searched on Amazon this is the Battery I purchased and works great its 210CCA hope this helps. upload_2024-4-16_8-28-46.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hydrophobic Membrane

Jun 7, 2017
    Dorset
    Many thanks :)

• Like Like x 1