Speeding

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Iceman, Mar 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I have just watched on television an unmarked Police vehicle travelling on the motorway in the North West, a BMW car sped past him rather quick, he followed and had his car pinned at 150 MPH, he was struggling to keep up with the BMW, eventually he was in a position to blue light it and the driver pulled over, it was the highest recorded speed on a motorway in the North West. He was summonsed to Court (wait for this) he was banned for 3 months and fined £500. Could you imagine if you got caught on your motorcycle doing that speed, it certainly wouldn't have had that outcome that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I saw the same program and said to the Mrs “He’s going down”. Could not believe he he got away with it.

I’ve always said to myself when ‘pressing on’ if caught I will never waffle, just fess up and say and act just like that guy did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Great programme - I drive that route everyday and you couldn't make up what I regularly witness. :D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I have an empathy for the Police. They made some cracking albums a few decades ago, and don’t think it’s acceptable that when someone is acting like a dangerous and aggressive plonker on the roads that they should get away with it.
    An un-named traffic officer I spoke to would take the situation into account before getting heavy handed. The acceptance of error made a difference. Some twat went on at length that they were late and in a hurry. Could the process be hurried up? The result was a overly microscopic examination of every detail of the car, paper work and every other aspect of driving above the speed limit. Plod delayed them for hours and landed them with a big fine.

On exactly the same ‘offence’ someone else took the talking to seriously. They were polite and contrite. They walked away with a telling off and an experience that will serve them well. No fine or points. I think they would however be more careful along that stretch of road.

I liked that plod. Nice bloke.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

In the US someone going that fast would be met by a cops with guns drawn, probably kick him off his bike, and give him a lumping that would quite possibly put him in the hospital. He would definitely be arrested and charged with multiple offenses, maybe even a felony if the arresting cop could orchestrate it. His bike would be impounded and the uncaring tow company would beat the crap out it in the process of getting it to the impound yard. Any personal or high dollar items in or on the bike would be nicked. Even if he beat the charges he'd be looking at between 2-3 grand in fees and expenses. Convictions would mean twice that and at least a year license suspension.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I didn't see the programme.
    This individual seems to lead a very charmed life.
    High powered, expensive car, with an I'll drive it as I like attitude.
    It's hard to believe that this would be a first time offence, this is quite likely to be a way of life for this moron.
    You have to ask yourself, is someone sponsoring this person?
    The masses would not get this kid glove treatment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    The land of the free! ;)
    Ken.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    In the sparsely populated sw usa, there's quite a bit more freedom when it comes to speeding, but this can vary substantially. My last official performance award was in 1991.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

All things considered most states are still freer than pretty much all of Europe. Just don't go >100mph in and around urban areas. At over 125mph you're simply asking for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    It was said, tongue firmly in cheek. :).
    Cheers,Ken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. martingw1

martingw1 Member

Dec 12, 2014
    me and the missus were watching this programme, and even before they told you what the guy got, the missus said to me, "be interesting to see if he gets sent down, because if he'd been on a bike, that's certain to happen!" Caused a bit of uproar when it was revealed that he'd been given a get out of jail free card! How many bikers have been given prison sentences now, even just a few weeks, will have ruined there lives, (potential loss of job etc. etc.) for doing 'in excess of 100mph' compared too nut jobs in a ton of metal!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    If you want to see prog Channel 5 Motorway Police on catch up ( aired 02/03/21)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Junksmith

Junksmith Active Member

They don't mess about in South Australia; 45kmh (28mph) over the limit and you are catching the bus to work for six months and that's locked in as a minimum so, even if the Magistrate is in your lodge, you can't get around it.
    The fines are pretty eye-watering as well.
    It still doesn't stop people speeding, particularly BMW drivers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Probably the chief constable or an MP with influence.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

On most of the US stretches of highway you're good for up to maybe 10mph over the limit. It's just not worth the time and effort vs the revenue received for the ticket at those speeds. That money is divided up between various entities and programs involved, to include that cop's pension plan and they'd rather rack up people doing 20+ mph over to rake in real money. IMO the fact that a portion of the fines and fees US cops write up is used to pad their retirements is about one of the most corrupt facets of LE in America. They are literally encouraged with profit. If depts and agencies here released commercials of various LEO's announcing that the tickets they write you helps to ensure them a comfy retirement, I think you'd see a substantial reduction in speeding. It could very possibly be one of the most effective deterrents to speeding ever devised. Perhaps that's why they don't do it.

All that considered, I set my cruise control to 9-10 mph over the posted limit on road trips. I've hummed past many a cop car in defilade lying in wait for an unwary speeder and I have yet to be hassled at that speed. No idea how it is in other countries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    And that’s why you end up with race riots, BLM and a general disregard for the police and lawyers getting rich. Speeders do deserve to be punished but that is the function of the judiciary, not the police. Do that to the wrong person and the morons in the police would have to resort to perjury, destroying evidence and perverting the course of justice. Whilst doing that they would also I have to hope nobody else witnessed the miscarriage of justice. Beating up offenders is a mark of Third World, fuckwitted police.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#17 Golgotha, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2021

We ended up with race riots and BLM because the demographic they represent largely contends that they shouldn't be punished for felonious activity. We do not have a general disregard for police, contrary to what your TV set tells you.

But we digress.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Mike in it

Mike in it Member

Nov 30, 2020
    London/Essex
    1984 A12 in Essex , Suzuki GS1000s I got stopped for an average speed of 122 £90 fine and 14 day ban , in the more enlightened countries on the planet there is no national speed limit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dreitopf

dreitopf Active Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    OMG....horrible prices...:worried:
    Its not so hard here in Geremany...10km over limit in town 15 Euro...30km over means bus for 4 weeks. 40km over out of town is also bus for 4 weeks plus a small fine. But we have lots of speed traps by laser, radar and video. We have lots of cameras on the bridges to measure the distance.
    The good thing is...no speed limit on autobahn:blush:...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    #20 Jadorff, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    here in south australia its less than 5km 0ver the speed limit in Victoria its 1km that's the leeway here .10mph (16km ) would be great. 10km 0r less is $478 and up they go to 45km over $1690 vehicle impounded and 6 months loss of licence

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1