Speeding Tickets Overseas

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by JDStriple, Aug 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JDStriple

JDStriple New Member

Jun 15, 2017
    France
    Ok bit of a random situation here. I've been based in France for 6 months, I have an english license but I bought a STriple that's registered to France. It's a bloody great bike and there's loads of twisty's round here and I've fallen foul to a few speeding tickets since I've been here unfortunately. I've never had a ticket of any sorts in my life so far

Everytime you get a ticket you get one point taken off your license. My question to you is that will they take the points off an English license? If so how do they co-ordinate this with the DVLA?

Thanks

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi JDs, as far as I know the way it works is that you build up a french computer file of points lost, but they don't apply to your English license. However that it not to say that you won't get a visit from the Gendarmes insisting that if you are permanent in France you must get a French drivers license.

Over here the points system were the exact opposite of the UK in that you start with 12 points and progressively lose them until you run out then no license !! The speeding point reductions are automatically cancelled after a 2 year 'clean' period.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. JDStriple

JDStriple New Member

Jun 15, 2017
    France
    Awesome, good to know. They weren't even fines that were 'worth' it. I was just nipping the 5 o clock traffic only just over the limit :(

Thanks anyway

4. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    And stateside in Arizona if we are 20MPH over the limit it is, "Felony Speeding"....off to jail and judge, bike towed and impounded with fees accruing. Points on license as well. Beauty of AZ is the lack of Mr. Plod on the secondary roads so testing is usually no big deal....knock on wood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1