Speedie Headlight Change

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Matt1050, May 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Matt1050

Matt1050 New Member

May 29, 2019
    West yorkshire
    Hi all, does anyone know if headlights from a 2017 speed rs can be fitted to a 2011 speed?
    Thanks. Matt.

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    No Matt, the shape changed for the 2016 model I think. Yours will be the same from 2011 to 2015.

3. Matt1050

Matt1050 New Member

May 29, 2019
    West yorkshire
    Yes, I like the look of the later shape, and mine are both broken, I wonder if I can make them fit with some custom fittings? Need to get the two bikes side by side for some measurements I guess.
    Cheers. Matt

4. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Where are you Matt? I'm in North Leeds and have a 2017 R if you want to have a look at the headlight fittings.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Matt1050

Matt1050 New Member

May 29, 2019
    West yorkshire
    Hi,
    I live in Normanton near wakefield, but I work in central Leeds.
    Been looking closer today at some pictures and I think both the mountings and the wiring are different, so may put it on hold for now.
    Many thanks for the offer, I may contact you in the future.

6. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    No worries, let me know if you change your mind.

7. Shodan

Shodan New Member

Apr 26, 2018
    France
  8. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #8 D'Ecosse, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    I believe you don't have to replace everything as per that link above:

If you review the respective fiche, you should be able to simply replace the two headlight assemblies complete with the pivot bar
    i.e in the case of the round lights, remove clamp #2 and disconnect the lights and remove them complete with item 9, the pivot bar in one complete assembly
    Replace with what is essentially item 8 in lower fiche, complete with the pivot bar #21.

Although the pivot bars themselves are different part numbers (and so are the main brackets #1, the clamp (item 2 or 6 whichever fiche you are looking at) is the same part number, which validates the diameter of the pivot bar is the same for both assemblies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    My reply above would have been appropriate of changing from round eyes to almond eyes - but realize now you already have the 'first-gen' almond eyes on 2011.

I'm sorry - I probably should have paid more attention to the serial numbers/models in question and also to the reply by @Yorkshireman

The RS uses a different type of mounting to the main bracket and the headlights are a fixed pair, rather than individual left & right. So you would also need the main headlight/instrument bracket item #5 (the mounting to the frame appears to be the same, the instruments I couldn't say, but doesn't look like, at least looking at the parts fiche and that might require a different challenge.

[​IMG]

10. Matt1050

Matt1050 New Member

May 29, 2019
    West yorkshire
    Thanks, thats all great detail, and I'm sure others will find it helpfull too.
    Looks like its a little too much work just for aesthetic appeal.
    Best to spend my time getting the suspension set up better

• Like Like x 1