Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by chiari1, Feb 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    You should buy a BMW! Then you’ll be complainingo_O

2. half ton

half ton Elite Member

Oct 18, 2013
    uk
    The boxer twin Beemers are quite cheap to service in comparison to a Triumph.....hoood-a-thunk it:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Agree if you can DIY. But book it in with a stealer & it’ll make your eyes water.Still could be worse, you could own a BMW car, £186 + vat labour per hour

4. andypandy

andypandy Elite Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I think going by the looks I'd like one but I just wouldn't buy a new bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange The Lunatics have definitely taken over !!!!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    Nice but needs USD forks. Fork gaiters are naff looking imho. Keep the wheels, spokes are a PITA.

Maybe in 10 years time, when I do actually slow down. Not there yet. :p:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Yes,could be worse,if there were only bmw boxer twins to ride,i would give up altogether,i hate them with a passion.

7. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    It looks nice, not on my shopping list though! :)

8. winrow3745

winrow3745 New Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Cheshire
    My thoughts exactly. Why didn't they use the clocks & switchgear from the Scrambler?

9. Dave C

Dave C Senior Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I do like the look of it I have to say, think it would look much nicer with a bit of shape to the seat though, it's a bit flat and boring, I quite like the colour but the red looks good too.

10. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I like it. Last year I bought my first Triumph. I studied quite a lot, comparing the Street Cup, Twin, and the Thruxton. The Thruxton was great but too stretched out for me. The Twin series fit me better, and between the Street and the Cup I liked the added features of the double clocks, windscreen, barend mirrors, and ace bars on the Cup. With a few little mods I basically have made myself a 900 water cooled Thruxton. That being said, if this bike had been available it would have probably been my choice. I am totally happy with the Cup, wouldn’t trade it at this point. Now, about a Tiger...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Looks ok but ditch the gaiters and fit USD forks would finish it off.

Beef the seat up, looks like the usual Triumph plank.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    To who ever just walked into a dealership and plopped a down payment on "Our" new Speed Twin. As the first owner, I expect you to take great care of the bike, spend lots of cash on upgrades and accessories. I also expect you to keep it indoors and be too busy earning loads of money to ride it much.

As the second owner I will accept whatever color scheme you go with and I will probably flog your extras on eBay to offset the purchase price. I will pay about 3/5 the original price for a 3 year old bike with 8k miles on it.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your add on the forum in 2021 or so.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange The Lunatics have definitely taken over !!!!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    and can you fit a nice pair of ohlins USD forks, as non OE, these will devalue it further :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Vecchio lupo

Vecchio lupo Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Stuttgart
    now you're on to me. I have purchased brand new but I much prefer the old "we just had a baby" well loved bike sale. The number of ultra low mileage brand new looking 3-5 year old bikes out there is wonderful

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    • Like Like x 6
  16. Patchinko

Patchinko Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    I really like the styling of this bike, even the RWU forks and gaiters. I particularity like the short (silver) pipes and shorty mudguards. Though if I had one I'd swap the pipes for something louder for sure.

All that said there are just too many electrickery gizmos on bikes these days. EFI is as techy as I want to get, and that's only because modern fuel goes off in the float bowls if left much over a week.

I do really like the speed twin other than that though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jay ryder

Jay ryder New Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Australia
    I've had mine here in Australia for a couple of weeks, and I love it. It's a great blend of the T120 and the Thruxton, looks beautiful IMHO, and goes like stink. Sounds good too! I'm very pleased so far.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Robert Castledine

Robert Castledine New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Yep it's really nice and if I hadn't put down a deposit for a Norton Nomad 650 at the Brum motorcycle show I'd be buying one. If only they had bought it out at the show, I wasn't keen on the 1200 scramblers. Always a pity you have to stump up £300 for a nice paint job and extra for a center stand!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wassers

Wassers Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I like it a lot. Originally wasn't all that keen on the paint job, but the red has really grown on me the more I look at it. The grey IMO looks a little too safe and bland. I have a Thruxton R which is fantastic, but I am considering the Speed Twin as its just a little bit more comfy and practical but still has a lot of the Thruxton DNA. The only thing I don't like are the black pipes. I would have to get the V&H pipes instead. I'm going to the Triumph open night on the 21st. Will try very hard not to get my wallet out immediately, but I think I have no hope once I see it in the flesh. If it rides anything like my Thruxton R I will be happy. All the reviews seem to be very positive.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    just came across this road test and review

• Like Like x 3