Speed Twin Wiring

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by roginoz, Nov 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    As factory shop manuals aren't available, I've ordered the Haynes manual that covers the 1200cc twins. As this includes the Thruxton, I assume there will be sufficient information that pertains to the Speed Twin. In the meantime, I'd like to ask a question concerning the availability of a switched hot lead for accessories.

I'm installing a Garmin GPS, which will require a switched 12v lead. Is there a dedicated accessory lead somewhere in the wiring harness (perhaps the power source for the optional heated grips?) If not, can anyone tell me the color coding for the tail light wire, or perhaps the headlight lead? Is there a 12v wire "upstream" of the 5v USB port under the seat?

I thought it would be worth asking, before I start probing with a voltmeter

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had the dealer install my Garmin mount. I’m sure the tech said he had real problem finding a 12v connection. He eventually found the only one somewhere behind the fuse box. I’m no tech, so I can’t be sure this accurate, but worth a look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I had a problem connecting my Tom Tom, so I bought the accessory socket and run it from a Hella plug. It's permanently live, so I can connect the Optimatewhen parked in the garage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks for the responses. I've ordered the Haynes manual, which came with a short term free subscription to the electronic version. I'll probably check the on-line wiring diagram while I wait for the hard copy. I have powerlet receptacles (similar to the Triumph accessory socket) on a couple of the bikes for connecting the Battery Tender and heated gear; these are un-switched. I'm going to use switched power to the GPS so I don't have to remember to turn it off each time I stop the bike. I'll check the current draw for the GPS; it's probably low enough that I can wire it without a relay. When relays are need, I've had good luck with miniature relays from Eastern Beaver. I'm hoping that there's room under one of the side covers for the GPS power box.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rustle

Rustle New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Perth, Scotland
    I'm in the process of fitting a BMW Navigator V to a Street Twin and I had the same questions you have ref Garmin to Speed Twin. The accessory plug on mine is connected to a USB socket but, it's a switched live from a 5 amp fuse in the 'box. Since the BMW unit (which is a Garmin) claims to draw no more than 2 amps they recommend a 3 amp fast blow fuse so I'm planning to take a feed (probably cut the short USB lead halfway between the USB and plug and use bullets and heat shrink) from the accessory plug, run a suitable extension cable beneath the fuel tank alongside the existing harness and connect to the BMW nav mount cable. I've already cut that and connected it to "suitable cable" with bullets/heat shrink. I'll be completing the job tomorrow so I can update after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rustle

Rustle New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Perth, Scotland
    The accessory plug on mine is connected to a USB socket but, it's a switched live from a 5 amp fuse in the 'box.

The above comment is an error from my previous post. There is a 5 amp accessory fuse but, the USB has its own 5 amp fused feed. So, that's the one I tapped into. Ran a wire to the front of the bike (under the tank alongside a fuel tank breather pipe) and connected that to the BMW harness, which I'd trimmed back and isolated the redundant wires. Result! Satnav mounted on the left bar with a u bolt RAM mount, short extension and a ball/plate to the Navigator mounting. Ignition on, satnav powers up, ignition off, satnav offers a 30 sec timed power down or tap the screen "off" and it's gone.

I know pics might be useful but......too dopey to figure it out!

7. roginoz

roginoz Member

Jul 30, 2019
    Wichita, KS
    I checked the 12v wiring between the main harness and the USB port, and found that it was switched. I tapped into the white "hot" lead to the USB for the positive power to the GPS power module, and attached the the negative GPS lead to the negative post of the battery. Everything was easy to access. There is room to attach the GPS power module to the plastic shield behind relays under the right side cover, with everything being covered by the bodywork. I'll remove the fuel tank and route the lead to the GPS along the wiring harness that goes to the front of the bike. It doesn't look like the lead is long enough to reach the GPS mount, so I'll splice an extension in under the tank. I'm using shielded spade connectors on the GPS power lead where it comes down from the clutch perch mount, so that I can remove the GPS cradle if desired. Heat shrink tubing will cover these connections, to clean things up a bit and add a bit more waterproofing. (I used a similar set-up on my XR1200 Harley, and it's stood up to some toad strangling rainstorms.)

I don't anticipate taking the Speed Twin on long trips, but having the GPS available when I've hauled the bike to more distant locations will help me get back to the motel after I've wandered around in unfamiliar territory (and find the nearest gas when I get close to 150 miles on a tank.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BJBVC

BJBVC New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    Canada
    not sure if you are on Facebook but there is a manual in the "files" section of
    "Triumph Speed Twin Owners" group