Speed Twin - Squealing Front Brakes.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Wessa, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I've been in touch with Triumph about the squealing brakes and the gear linkage failure, they have passed the buck to the dealer. Their response remains that the brakes should be cleaned on a regular basis, and that they are investigationg the gear linkage failure. Not happy with this, so I will be trading my bike as soon as I can decide what my next bike will be......
    Wessa

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    To be honest I've lost faith in the bike, so I'm going to trade it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    Interesting. Triumph in norway agreed with my dealer to replace disc and pads at triumphs cost. No about 500km later on dry roads, squealing is back. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have cleaned them myself, and had them thouroghly cleaned by the dealer two times with little help. I am going to ask them about having the front wheel issue, and if that does not solve it, and is replaced by warranty I am afraid this is not the bike and brand for me. Really annoying as the rest of the bike is awesome and just what I have been looking for. And no issues with the rear brake, even if its never been cleaned. Anyone know of some spesific that have had the front wheel canged under warranty on the speed twin 2019?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    And qurious if anybody had the same issue with the thruxton, thought the frame of that and the speed twin is pretty much the same?

5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed mate fantaastic bike, but Triumphs response to the squealing brakes does not inspire confidence in owning the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    Nope, not confidence inspiring from what I hear from you. Allthough both the dealer and triumph in Norway have so far been great, but issue is still there. Might help if you refer to my post, if triumph UK want to check, i am sure triumph Norway can confirm via my dealer in sarpsborg cleaning my brakes did not do much.

7. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    Thanks! I will refer to this:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Really pleased you got yours sorted. Triumphs response on the speed twin is to clean the brakes on a regular basis. The squealing is a feature of the bike.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Had mine cleaned two or three times and also had discs and pads replaced under warranty. Squealing has continued to return. I'm trading my speed twin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    My dealer has also been brilliant, my beef is with triumph..

• Like Like x 4
  11. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    Then they must put it in their list of features, so potential buyers can decide upfront if they want this special feature on a brand new 2019/20 15k euros bike.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    Then they must put it in their list of features, so potential buyers can decide upfront if they want this special feature on a brand new 2019/20 15k euros bike.

13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed.....

14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I've given up mate, new bike is being prepared....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed..... how many more speed twin owners need to complain before they do something to fix this problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hobbo

Hobbo Member

Feb 22, 2019
    UK
    #116 Hobbo, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    I have never experienced the brake squeal on my speed twin. Famous last words now!

However I do agree Triumph are not handling this issue correctly as it’s obvious there is a problem for so many people to have the same issue. And Triumph will start to lose customers if they don’t react and bring out a satisfactory resolve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    I had squeal as soon as I got the bike. Cleaned the rotors and then applied brake grease to the back of the pads. Have about 3000 miles and the squeal is starting to return.

I only notice the squeal happening when the bike is going less than about 5 = 10 mph. I learned if I very lightly apply the rear brake, no squeal. My guess is there is a harmonic vibration issue between the pads and the caliper pistons on the front. Dragging the rear brake changes the harmonics in the bike and no more squeal.

If your getting squeal try dragging the rear brake and see if it goes away, my guess is it does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Streetbike in Halesowen cleaned my brakes and the squeal returned within a few hundred yards. I accepted this as a "characteristic" of Brembo brakes and rode on for about 1,000 miles. Then the brakes started to pulse through the bars, which got worse very quickly. I returned the bike to them and they replaced the front wheel, pads and discs. Over 5,000 miles and no problems.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Really pleased you have got yours sorted..

20. Nitin das

Nitin das New Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Cleveland, usa
    Hey everyone. I’m a newbie on this forum and I’m looking into buying the speedtwin because it looks like such an amazing bike on paper and reviews. However, I do a lot of city start/stop low speed commuting and this break issue would be a dealbreaker. Is it just some of the speed twins or essentially most of them that have this issue? Does anyone have an idea? Has a workaround been found yet?