Speed Twin Silencers On A Street Cup

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RevPaul, Jan 29, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Hi All

I'm tempted to fit the Speed Twin silencers to my Street Cup; partly because I think they look better with the slight slash cut to their outlets, and partly because the left silencer doesn't have the extra brace to the frame that is on the Street Cup and Street Twin: The extra brace is only there to strengthen the silencer when the centre stand (if fitted) hits the up-stop, but the Street Cup doesn't have provision for the up-stop, because Triumph don't make a centre stand that properly fits the Street Cup.

Does anyone know what effect fitting the the Speed Twin silencers will have on the performance of the Street Cups smaller 900cc engine? And / or if the geometry of the silencers will fit (I know the same clamps are used on the inlets of both bikes' silencers, so the inlet diameter should be the same.

Why am I asking this?
    Well, as well as the slightly improved look of the exhaust, I want to fit a centre stand (they're so useful). Triumph's Street Scrambler centre stand kit will fit the Street Cup with two modifications:-
    One, modify the arm that you stand on to lift the bike; in standard form it fowls with the Street Cup silencers. Two lose the unnecessary brace on the left silencer to enable the use of the separate up-stop included in the Street Scrambler centre stand kit.

Someone will say why not use the stand kits that MotoTrio or Tec sell, the economical answer is because I got a hardly used genuine Triumph centre stand kit for a mere £60 on eBay.

Hope that makes sense and someone knows the answers.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Perhaps if you were able to take some measurements of the Speed Twin silencers, say from the front end where the clamp is to the mounting point at the pillion footrests, and the diameter of the header pipe, then compare with your bike you would have a better idea if they will fit.
    Anyone with a Speed Twin able to help the guy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Here are some pic's and measurements off my standard silencers that i replaced on my ST 1200, mounting hole to end of inlet approx 28cm and 38mm internal pipe, the second pic clearly shows the kink/bend from above as both silencers point outwards when fitted.

20220130_111323.jpg

20220130_111434.jpg

20220130_111438.jpg

20220130_111445.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks Yorkshireman and Darkman, really helpful.

I've just measured the distance you suggested on my silencers and very surprised to find that on the Street Cup its only 20cm, that's a bigger difference than it looks :(. The parts finder on the World Of Triumph website lists the same clamp (silencer to header) for both bikes so pipe diameter is probably the same. Street Cup has a similar kink at the inlet to its silencers but the angle is probably going to be different given the difference in size.

Oh well back to the drawing board; glad I didn't buy the bargain unused pair I found on eBay.

I don't want to buy the Vance and Hines silencers which have a centre stand up-stop bracket fitted, the black ones are no longer available and £650 just to make it possible to fit a centre stand would be ridiculous. Also IMHO the V&H silencers don't look nearly as good as Triumph's design for the Street Cup and Speed Twin.

Guess I'll have to explore getting the standard silencer modified:confused:, if only I had Iron's skills.

Cheers guys :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks for the tip darkman. I'd never heard of Rayson, I'll do some more investigating.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1