Speed Twin - Has Anyone Sorted The Squeaky Brakes?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Jet City, Mar 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Took the opportunity to take the bike out last week for my 3 monthly blood test.
    No squeaking whatsoever. Bet it returns as soon as lock down ends :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
  4. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Well had my first service and told dealers I had squeaky rear brake, and they cured the problem............. for 8 miles

6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I was rather hoping that the factory might find a cure for it, or am I being overoptimistic?...………....

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
  8. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    I am complaining about it since I got my Speed Twin from the dealer and it is already 2000km on the road. Yesterday I talked with the mechanic on the dealer and he said that has heard it from several other customer with several other models and found no solution. He said the only solution so far and for a limited kilometres is cleaning the discs with alcohol. Researching I found an ANTI-NOISE SPRAY that might solve the problem. I discussed it with the mechanic and he said already used it and did not solve. I will try it any way. There is a video from the SPRAY manufacturer that claims it is solved. It is relater with car brakes, but symptom is the same. It is said it is because the compound of the new pads without asbestos that in conjunction with the engineering design of the brake caliper and pads themselves generate a vibration that turns in a noise. Take a look at the video. Even in Portuguese, it says the message itself.

9. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    I believe this is true Red . A lot of car brakes have shims and you will see the type of shim where only half the shim actually touches the piston. I also think you'll find these "half" shims touch the trailing edge of the pad first ,this prevents the pad "chattering" ergo squealing . I think most of squealing issues are on light brake application ,hard braking doesn't normally create squealing . This is only my take on things from experience in the garage trade , I don't mind being corrected on this :worried:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Continuing the saga, I changed the pads for EBC FA322 with the ANTI-NOISE spray. Just put right way and got the road. No squeal at all (150km). Some funny noise like bearing without oil but no problem at all. Next day.......squeal got back on low speeds like stopping on traffic light. So, I took the pads out and cleaned the callipers, sanded the discs with 600 "water sand paper", cleaned the rings that hold the discs (those that make the discs float - do not know the name), cleaned everything with MOTUL disc cleaner. Trimmed all borders of each pad creating a small angle of attack praying it could help. Sanded the pads, applied again the ANTI-NOISE spray. Re-mounted every thing and went to 5km test. Got the heaven. Well, just for a short time. Today I went out for a ride and during the ride, the annoying sound started to grow at each traffic light. Finally at home, the squeal was like the OEM Brembo pads. So, highly pissed, decided to clean the bike. As I turned the front wheel by hand, there was a strange noise, like it was very dirt. Sprayed lots of water and the strange noise was gone. Just pressed the brake rolling gently the bike in the parking lot as I do when I a arrive and no squeal. I believe the problem is not related the pads and not related with the discs as well. Changing the discs will probably not solve the problem. Tomorrow I will go for another 150km ride, let´s see what will happen. Next move will be applying some sort of grease behind the pads and if not solve, I will install again the OEM pads and will attack the dealer and Triumph as I did to solve the parts with corrosion that they did not want to change. I wrote the General Manager in UK and in Brazil as well as a series of other important managers into the company as well as registering the complain on some customer protection agencies here in Brazil. I will keep you informed about the developments.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well you have more tenacity than me. I just gave up on my speed twin and swapped it for a tiger sport.

12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Don’t know mate. Seems to me that triumph just won’t accept there is a problem, what ever the problem is :mad:

13. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    changing the pads to ebc did work for me

still find it appalling that triumph have not sorted it. on such a popular bike as well.

when i got my bike serviced recently the dealer said "brake harder". he was only half joking !

14. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    I agree. But I am not going easy on this problem. This is happening since 300km on the road when I made the problem official to the Customer Center here in Brazil at the middle of quarantine. Since there I am complaining with no answer from them. I still going to try some other things and will post a summary of everything and if I can not find a workaround, I will solve it the same way I solved a corrosion problem ( it is in another post here), when I wrote to GM in UK, GM in Brasil and some other folks in UK, Brazil and USA....Well I am still patient as I am loving the bike. I just regret that I did not buy the Kawasaki 900. I am running Japanese bikes for 40 years without any complain at all. Hondas and Suzukis are great bikes....Tomorrow I will go for another 150km ride and in the next days I will exchange again the pad. I will remove the FA322 with 7.6mm in thickness (and 3mm plate) for a POTENZA FURIA RC-SINTERED with 8mm in thickness and 4.5mm plate. I will also apply WURHT copper grease (code: CU 800) and run more tests.This will be my last attempt to try to solve, or workaround, the problem. If I do not succeed, next step will war. I will let you know.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    My fronts do make the occasional little squeal but it's never been the problem as often reported here. I can't help wondering whether it is something to do with how the brakes are used. I know that disks can get polished if the brakes are never used hard occaisionally. There is so much engine braking on this bike that using the brakes is rare anyway and I've been advised to "show" a brake light as those following have sometimes been caught out.
    I also come off the front brake when stopping at junctions etc and usually stop the bike with the rear brake in the last few yards so I wouldn't get a squeal anyway. (It keeps the bike more stable)

I certainly recommend not using copper grease as Shaun64 in the post on page 4 (#64) suggests, and keeping the calipers, bobbins and rotors free of brake dust.

If it's still a problem, then Mintex Cera Tec, EBC pads and disks might help.

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/the-facts-about-floating-motorcycle-rotors-or-discs-by-ebc-brakes/

• Like Like x 2
  16. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    I agree with you on most of you wrote. My point is, I riding motorcycles over 40 years and only Japanese and I owned several stiles, from off road, custom, trai, race etc. And I do not remember having this problem. The squeal happens even before going out for a ride. Still inside the parking lot
    maneuvering the bike. Well, said that yesterday I let home this this symptom and rode 200km up and down a hill and almost did not use the brakes. Getting back home got some stop and go forced to use the brakes.
    Surprisingly no squeal at all. So, research and driving behavior evaluation continues. I will move the bike today and verify if the squeal is absent as it was yesterday. Thanks in sharing opinions.

upload_2020-7-13_9-37-47.png

• Like Like x 2
  17. doRight

doRight New Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Chicago
    Has anyone solved the squealing front brake issue? I took my Speed Twin to the dealer and they said that the issue was gone after they performed some hard braking...not true

18. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Got rid of all squeal for a week or so (but I am definitely not advising this as a method) when I accidentally applied chain degreaser instead of disc brake cleaner to the front discs. Initial bite was lost for the best part of 100 miles but after that brakes back to normal and no squeak. Until yesterday and they appear to be back. Tends to suggest to me that the pad material may be the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I find it hard to believe that owners are still raising the squealing brakes issue on their speed twin. I wonder if all speed twin owners started to trade their bikes in droves quoting the squealing brakes as the reason that triumph might do something about it. Then again likely no they wouldn't now would they. It is over 12 months since the bike was launched and they haven't offered any fix yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Yes, it's hard to believe that Triumph hasn't sorted this out given how much time they've had to do so.

I don't really care if it costs me money, I just want it fixed. I have no beef with my dealer or really even with Triumph. Just admit it's an issue and provide a way to fix it.

BTW my Speed Twin's brakes still howl under what I would consider "normal" conditions. And the bike is still frickin' awesome. I still love it. In the words of my daughter, it's "dank". ;)

• Like Like x 2