Speed Twin - Has Anyone Sorted The Squeaky Brakes?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Jet City, Mar 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Here is the thread that I started re the speed twin brakes...
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/speed-twin-squealing-front-brakes.20221/

2. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Ya just popped out to deliver food parcels on my speed twin and at 300 miles those brakes squik like a bastxxd, so I can say it is not cured yet. But the fact that age old copper slip has an affect shows it can be sorted, christ used this stuff when I twas a boy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    I have read somewhere the squealling is due to the pads vibrating in the calipers. Some people Ive read have fixed it by adding a thin shim to the back of the pad and this seems to stop the squelling. Other people I have read have put copper grease on the back of the pads to hold them to the caliper and this also fixes the squealing. My 2018 T120 has never suffered from this problem. Cars have the same problem which is why a lot of car pads have shims attached to them.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    For me it is all about triumph fixing this problem and then resolving it for all current speed twin owners, not for those owners who have paid out a lot of money for their bike to find a fix.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    Could not agree more Wessa. Just informing people of things I have read about the problem. I use to have this problem with a car I owned until someone told me I could buy brake pads with the shim fitted on the back, I bought them and it solved the problem. You may be waiting a long time for a manufacturer to fix a problem like that, at least trying something may be faster.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep understood @Red26 and it is useful for owners to find fixes, but my concern is that triumph seem to be just ignoring this problem and given the cost of a new speed twin this is completely unacceptable. As you suggest it could be a long time for peeps to wait for a fix. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #47 Kenbro, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    I heard the squealing started in Wuhan (In the market) but the Chinese manufacturer of the squealing bits won’t acknowledge it yet.
    Ken.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    Yes we could here the squealing in Australia and its still going on.

9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I think it is a conspiracy

10. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Since the lockdown there has been no squealing whatsoever..... of course the bike hasn't gone anywhere!:mask:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    don't you mean consquealacy

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I like it

• Like Like x 1
  13. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    Well, after I posted it, the brake squeal continued and I wrote the factory here in Brazil informing the problem as I was unable to take the bike to the shop. During the next 500km until 1000km, the brake squeal started reducing until almost nothing happened again. Only some times and very small squeal and I could not figure out the circunstances. So, I finally took the bike for the first check up at 1100 km without anything related with it. I reported, they made tests and found nothing. My brother bought a T120 Black that has another type of braking system and does not have problem, yet. What remains is to continue paying attention. By the that way, the brake system was disassembled and cleaned and they told me to clean the discs with alcohol when needed. Well, that is it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    :scream::scream::scream::rolleyes:

15. Red26

Red26 Member

Apr 24, 2020
    Australia
    I have a 2018 Bonny 1200 and never had a problem and never heard of Bonnies having a problem with this. The bonnies have a dual piston caliper. Do your brake pads have a metal shim on the back, the Bonnies do Ive noticed when I change and dismantle the calipers Ive seen it. I know on cars the shims are attached to quieten braking noise and squeals. If you dont have a workshop manual go to Haynes online manuals and you can pay for a years total access to their workshop manual for your model, its pretty cheap really and instant. It costs about $16 Aust for a year. They are good manuals and full of pics and explanations.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    I'm not sure if the problem of squealing brakes on a motorcycle is similar to the problem on a bicycle but I would think it may be . On a bicycle the squealing is caused by the leading edge of the pad touching first , mainly on light braking scenarios, and it creates a vibration or harmonics as has been stated . The way to solve a bicycle is quite easy , basically you adjust the pad so the trailing edge touches down slightly earlier .
    So , in a motorcycle , I would expect the problem could be solved the same by adjusting how the pad initially makes contact . It may be possible to try and file an angle on the leading edge of the pads just to see if the problem persists , not too much though . I may be wrong here as I'm only taking a guess , but is the reason some calipers have different size pistons is to solve the exact problems some of you are having . I'm not sure if the Speed Twin has same size pistons , or tbh , a sticking trailing piston could cause it aswell , but easy to check . Take the caliper off and put something in between the pads the same thickness as the disc and then get someone to pull the brake lever and observe how the pads move

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    I agree with you. I have bicycles with disc brakes, even one with four cylinders on each caliper (SHIMANO SAINT for down hill), like the Brembo on my ST. And the problem is exactly as you mentioned as well as the solutions. This is something I do time to time. If the problem on my byke persists, that is what I will do next.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    never had that problem with the triumph but have with the Deauville some one told me to put bevel on the front of the

pads just need a file and file a bevel on the front off the pad worked for me stoped the squeaking hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I think the answer is a simple re-brand.
    This model will now be known as the Triumph Squeal Twin.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Has anyone tried ceratec yet? It’s great at stopping squealing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1