Speed Twin Gear Linkage

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by SpeedTwin1200, Sep 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    There's been a few issues with this coming undone, quite a few according to the little survey going somewhere. So just had a look at my gear linkage, assuming that mine would be okay and that it is an owner-bolt-checking issue rather than a warranty issue....

It was a bit loose! There is a little washer I think, well something moved, so I got a 10mm spanner on the ball joint and wound it in half a turn maybe, not much.

Looking at the parts diagram, there is no sign of the bolt part on the ball joint or a washer. I'm talking about the ball joint on the gearchange rod (part #32) that screws into the back of the gear lever under the main pivot.

You could put a 13mm and 10mm spanner on the adjuster rod locknuts too. They were okay, (as was the front ball joint) but could have been a bit tighter.

I think the gap available for a standard spanner is a bit tight and maybe the loctite used, assuming it was, is a bit feeble. Will return to mine with some decent loctite.
    Anyway, something to keep an eye on.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 17.11.40.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    First thing i did on our bikes as i had one come loose on my last Triumph.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    Mine came totally disconnected at like 450 miles. I guess that’s my bad for assuming that the dealership went through the bike after unboxing it to ensure it was good to go, obviously not...bastards.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Mine sheared off a couple of weeks ago. Booked into dealers for a warranty fix...

5. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    This illustrates the problem.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 09.07.40.png

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Is this not just a case of degreasing then a spot of loctite thread sealant before reassembly?

Admittedly Triumph failed its customers here by the look of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Just checked mine in readiness for the DGR and it was the front linkage which had about three millimetre gap. Threads felt like they had locktite but not doing its job. All tight now. Many thanks for the warning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Triumph#3

Triumph#3 New Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Arizona, USA
    Just had checked mine this week at work just because I have had them come loose on bikes I have had in the past. Bike now has over 3400 miles. Yes it was loose. Took both ends of the shift linkage off and put blue/medium loctite on the threads and put it back together. Also I took a grease needle and injected some grease into/below the rubber boots on both ends, maybe it will last longer..... So yesterday I got a recall notice in the mail, had to laugh, seemed ironic to me recently doing it. Recall is they take it apart and put loctite on the threads. Called the shop I let them know I had already done it. I have done it on other bikes with them coming loose. I had a Victory for years, it wore out, put a different one on it I made up with small heim-joints and all thread I had ordered on-line. Side note it seems on a lot of bikes I have had the pinch bolt on the piece of linkage that actually moves the shift shaft going into the transmission likes to come loose also, so I try to check it also once in awhile.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Mine gear selector did not come loose, it sheared at the boot next to the engine coupling.

10. tim morton

tim morton New Member

May 17, 2017
    suffolk
    Mine sheared off completely on monday 16th march 2000 miles, triumph recovered bike and supplied new one under warranty.

ginger

11. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    There is an official Safety Recall for this one. I was booked into Blade Swindon so they could tick me off their list, but it's on hold until they can re-open.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Don H

Don H New Member

Jul 12, 2020
    Mine sheared off with 1800 miles on it. My dealer is 4 1/2 hours away. Dealer would not give me the parts as a warranty item if they weren't the ones doing the repairs. Cost me $69 dollars for about $2 worth of parts and I'll have to install them. Had to have my bike towed 100 miles home to do it myself. Not to mention 3 weeks of down time. Not thrilled but thats what I get for buying something that has no dealers in my area.

• WTF WTF x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bad news all round mate. Shame Triumph did not fit a quality part in the first place on what is considered a premium bike

14. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I had mine checked at Triumph as per the recall. I'm not sure they did anything with mine though as the marks I made still line up. Rather than use something like Loctite Torque Marque, I use a little blob of red nail varnish to mark safety critical nuts and bolts. It's easy to see if they've moved rather than get a spanner out to check every time. I use acetone to wipe it off as nail varnish remover is not as strong.
    Best borrow some off your Mrs if you don't fancy shopping for it yourself!

• Like Like x 2