Speed Twin Broken Shift Linkage

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Timothy Peters, May 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Because of weather in Chicago and the Covid-19 issues haven't had time to bring the SPD Twin to the dealer to have the shift linkage recall work done. Since the recall was for making sure the linkage tight I wasn't to concerned and had been checking the linkage before I ride.

Yesterday I went out riding with a buddy ( we made sure to ride 6' / 2 meters apart ;) ) and 20 miles from home shifting into 6th gear my shift lever just kept moving up. Moved my foot, looked down and saw the shift lever pointed down. To my surprise the bolt didn't back out it sheared off.

With a bit of thinking we used a small adjustable wrench to move the bike into neutral, get it restarted and then move it to third gear to get home. Thanks to the torquey engine it took minimal clutch slippage to pull away from stop signs and lights. 3rd gear allowed comfortable speeds of 45 mph.

Called Woodstock Triumph and from my initial conversation looks like they will warranty the linkage. Won't know until mid week when I will be be able to get a new linkage rod.

Because of this I suggest speaking with your dealer about replacing the linkage and not just tightening the bolt because of the recall.

Pics of the broken parts. I was able to extract the bolt remaining in the shift arm this morning.

IMG_20200502_152407.jpg
    IMG_20200502_152359.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Stupot

Stupot New Member

Oct 29, 2018
    UK Northwest.
    Hello Tim, I have just had the same thing happen to my Speed twin! The recall was carried out a number of month's ago ref the loose gear change assy, however as you have discribbed in your pictures it is the actual bolt that has sheared off - and mine just did that today! There is a very good posssbililty
    there is a problem with the tensile bolt itself. This could be a major safety concern Triumph - hopefully someone from Triumph will read this post and contact me ASAP. I will be contacting the dealership in the morning to pick up the bike.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    The dealer was going to send new parts but I turned them down. I bought stainless steel heim joints and bolts from AJ Cycles in New York state.

The bolt/bearing piece that broke appears to be cast and not cold headed. I would inform your dealer like I did and if you are not in the states see if you can find a source for SS heim joint and bolt. Link to AJ Cycles -
    https://www.ajcyclesny.com/product/thruxton-upgraded-shift-linkage-heim-joints/

• Like Like x 2
  4. Stupot

Stupot New Member

Oct 29, 2018
    UK Northwest.
    Many thanks Tim for the info. I will be in touch with the dealer first thing in the morning UK time. You are right about the heads being cast, however I thought they would of lasted a lot longer than 12 month on the bike. I will mail Triumph ref this gear linkage concern as I see it as a possible safety concern. Tnx for the upgrade option info - I will post an update soon.

• Like Like x 3
  5. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Hiya wondering if you can have a look at a similar thread I have just posted, and tell me if you have or had a similar gap between your lever and the bolt before the ball joint.
    Interestingly yours snapped at the opposite end

Thanks

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/thruxton-r-gear-linkage-bolt-failure.36163/

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Like I posted in your thread, the gear linkage sheared on both my Speed Twin and Thruxton. It would seem like a number of owners are either having their linkage fail or their bikes have been recalled. Not what you would expect on new bikes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Gabe Shadis

Gabe Shadis New Member

Jan 3, 2024
    Maine, US
    Hey there , it appears this is a common problem. Think I can just find a stainless bolt with opposite thread directions on each end and replace what appears to be the OEM aluminum bolt that sheared?

8. JonS-Triumph

JonS-Triumph New Member
    Subscriber

Nov 3, 2023
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Thanks for this. I was going to ask if the problem bikes were ST 900 or ST 1200 models. Given that the problem has taken place on the Thruxton, that suggests a more widespread problem. Can you say if these were 2023 or 2024 production models or earlier. I am about to pull the trigger on either a ST 1200 or T120 and want to be sure to ask the dealer about it.

9. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #9 timboo, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    My thruxton r is 2017 the replacement part is slightly different and it is a genuine part.

10. doov29

doov29 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2020
    Aberdeen