Speed Twin And Usb

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tallpaul, May 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    At last, my Speed Twin is at the dealer. As time is getting tight for my trip to Netherlands on 14th, I am trying to get as much prep done as possible. I have removed the Tom Tom mounting from my Tiger Sport and have to find a suitable connector to join the 2 core cable to the USB port under the seat. Can anybody help me identify and source the correct size plug, ideally, one that does NOT need to be soldered. I cannot solder at all. Thanks.

2. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Wow! How underwhelming was that response? lol

Anyway, for those like me, who have very poor auto electrical skills, I can report the following.

USB ports run at only 5volts and are probably too low in power to run a sat nav/GPS. Generally only for mobile phone and low draw equipment. The feed cable running to the USB is rated 12v and could be tapped into for the sat nav. Very suitable, as it is ignition switched.

However, my dealer will be fitting a Triumph powerlet, powered by the auxiliary cable zip tied under the tank. I can use a Hella type plug to power my Tom Tom, this supply is permanently live and will also allow Optimate connection for trickle charge/battery maintenance. It does mean that any device left connected may deplete the battery.

My thanks for the above info, go to Terry Ward, Facebook Speed Twin Owners Group, Google and Streetbike, Halesowen.

I hope that others may find this useful.

3. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Just wire it straight to the battery, it’s only live when the Tomtom is clipped onto the cradle.

4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #4 brown mouse, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    No, the cradle probably does the 12v to 5v conversion, in which case that circuitry will draw a little current even when nothing is connected. Whether that is enough to be a problem I don't know. Before wiring it in direct I'd certainly get a sensitive multimeter on it to make sure of any current draw.

EDIT: I just checked the mount for my TomTom Rider 550 and it outputs 5 Volts, so it does contain the circuitry for converting from 12V. I didn't check the current draw as that would require bodging some wiring.

5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #5 Vulpes, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    It is enough to be a problem. I used to have my cradle connected straight to the battery. Even without the device in it would draw enough current from the battery to deplete it in a few days.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The cradle for my Garmin satnav has been hard-wired to the battery on my Tiger for around three years now. The battery has never been affected by it even after two or three weeks of not using the bike.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Power from USB socket will be enough. My TomTom Rider 550 has a USB socket which charges and runs the satnav when plugged in there. I also have the car windscreen mount for it, which just takes a standard USB lead in the back to power device.

The problem with using a USB socket when mounting on the bike is it won't be waterproof, and probably not rated for the vibrations.

I helped a mate do this a couple of days ago on his Moto Guzzi. We cut the wire to the existing USB power connector, then soldered back together with the power cable that connects to the TomTom mount. We used individual heat shrink sleeving over the Ground and 12V joints, and more over the whole bundle.