SPEED TRIPLE WARRANTY ISSUES

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Col_C, Oct 11, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Had the front discs swapped under warranty yesterday at Youles, Blackburn. no issues happy again

2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I had a near identical experience as Col, never again!

3. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Out for a ride yesterday on my new Speed Triple (1000 miles) and noticed the gear lever was moving a lot further than normal to select a gear. This got progressively worse until I couldn't change at all.
    On inspection the ball joint on the back of the lever had worked loose and finally came out completely.
    At this point 60 miles from home I discovered what is in the tool kit under the seat, not a lot!
    I managed to work it back in part of the way by hand and this allowed me to get on the motorway and into sixth gear where I nursed it home.

I'm calling the dealer this morning to book it in.

I'll keep you posted.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Is there not a lock nut to nip up the adjustable end?

5. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    #45 Gled, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    No. There's no locknut and I was surprised to find there's no threadlock on either.

I'm booked in with the dealer on Thursday but I've tightened it up myself this morning.

I'll post some pics up on my original post.

6. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    #46 Gled, Aug 19, 2017
    It's this ball-joint at the back of the gear change lever.

IMG_20170819_125419559.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    As you can see here, the ball has wound itself out of the threaded gear lever assembly. In 1000 miles from new!

IMG_20170819_125438616.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    #48 Gled, Aug 19, 2017
    I've re-tightened it but I suspect there was a washer on there originally. It must have been lost when the threaded ball came out.

Worth checking yours. You should see the end of the thread poking through the front of the gear lever.

Gled.

IMG_20170819_132034048.jpg

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
  10. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Thanks Oldyam

Yeah, the infamous Friday afternoon job. Could have been worse, at least the wheels are still on.

I'll take it in to the dealer and see what they say.

Gled

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    UPDATE:

I took my Speed Triple R into the dealer today for them to investigate the gear lever issue detailed above.
    Without any quibble they agreed to change the complete gear change assembly for a new one under warranty.
    They changed it while I waited and I left a happy customer.
    So I'd like to give a deserved thumbs-up for Youles Motorcycles Manchester UK.

Gled.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Triple k

Triple k New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Merseyside
    Paint come off on radiator replaced FULL radiator excellent customer service

• Like Like x 3
  13. Triple k

Triple k New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Merseyside

14. Icarus

Icarus Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Salisbury
    2016 Speed Triple R returned to 3X motorcycles for condensation in a front indicator and later for a replacement rear brake light switch....all completed under warranty with no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KTrider

KTrider New Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Wirral
    I have a bubbled left had lens on my 2012 Triumph as ever in my experience not interested even though it's clearly a problem and frankly should not happen, it's hardly a 'cutting edge' technical innovation after all
    I'm also now facing an argument to replace my warped front discs for the FOURTH time. Bike only done 15,000 never been on track etc. I'm told by a Triumph mechanic ( not from my main dealer) that it will in fact be the piston calipers at fault, which are not backing off properly and over time generating slight friction and heat causing the discs to warp regularly. Mr thinks main dealer at fault for that one, battle ahoy!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    The headlight lens problem seems to be sporadic, some owners are getting this problem, others are fine and I've not seen any pattern emerge as to the cause yet. Do you have standard bulbs and no protectors fitted?
    Warped discs does seem to be more common, had mine replaced after about 5,000mls, replacements are still fine so far after a similar mileage.
    Good luck with your claim! I think Triumph are pretty good during the 2 year warranty period but after that blood and stone comes to mind (in common with most other manufacturers), unfortunately at 5 years old I fear you'll be very dependent on any good will you might get from your dealer.
    In theory you have a claim if you could prove the repeat failure of discs is due to an unresolved caliper fault the dealer didn't detect, but in reality Triumph are likely to use "inadequate cleaning/maintenance by owner" as a get-out clause.

17. KTrider

KTrider New Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Wirral
    I have standard bulbs fitted was told by dealer the gas big issue on street triples caused by dealer stickers on headlights leaving glue residue on lenses focusing beam to it and caused melting Triumph replaced the lot

My line with dealer will be you failed to rectify root cause

18. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    That makes sense, and would explain the shape of clouding seen on some. I think there's a warning in owners manual about not taping headlight for track days due to overheating, hence me asking about lens protector. I guess owners spending significant time in traffic might also be vulnerable to the problem (no cooling air flow).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Bartat

Bartat New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Leeds
    Hi don't know if anyone else is suffering with same, but just had to make a claim for my 2016 speed triple, the grey paint around the petrol filler cap inner ring has started to crack and come away from the top circular edge, I think when the paint was applied there was a air bubble between the metal and paint work, anyway took the bike back and West Yorkshire Triumph are going to make a claim? Lets see if they accept the claim?

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Purpleronnie

Purpleronnie New Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Up North
    2015 Speed abs, warped front discs, noticeable only at slow speed. Being replaced under warranty. 12months old 2500 miles.