Speed Triple T509 Alternator

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michael Dooley, May 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Dooley

Michael Dooley New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    Hi all,

I've got an unwell alternator! I know the collection of parts on a motorbike are not really called that but as its all packaged as a single unit on the T509 I think its just about OK.

How do I know its the alternator? ride the bike with lights on and it drains the battery, then won't start. I've made sure the battery is OK by monitoring it from fully charged and it holds a consistent charge for days, I've performed a leak test and that was fine and finally I completed an output test. The battery sits at around 13v with the ignition off and dips very slightly with ignition on. Rev the bike to 5,000rpm and the battery has around 5-6 volts. Doh!
    I removed the brush holder and brushes and they are plenty long enough (10mm) and clean and I have cleaned the slip's too.

So my question is, have i missed out something? or do I just try my luck and buy something old and dirty from eBay or is there a secret stash of these units (or components) that I haven't found?

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    With apologies to electrical engineers.....

I’m with S Jack. The alternator produces alternating current....a different wave form to the direct current stored and released by batteries. To make its output battery edible you have a rectifier (alternating to direct current) regulator (electrical ‘valve’ to prevent damaging power spikes)

The alternator works like an electric motor in reverse. The engine spins magnets round electrical windings which creates a current in the windings. That current varies with engine speed.

The probability is that the alternator is fine but the rec/reg is toast. A multimeter across the battery terminals, engine running, should read 12.6v to 14v ish as you rev the engine. Any less or no blip in output and you have no output.

http://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/applications.htm

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    Thanks for the replies fellas, useful information... But on the T509 the stator and reg/rec are all packages as a single unit. Triumph never made the components available separately hence me calling it an alternator.
    If the reg/rec is gone you might as well replace the whole thing.
    What I was really after is advice from someone with the same engine who's had a similar issue.
    Anyway I found a tested replacement alternator on eBay for a bargain.
    Thanks again.
    Here's a picture to show how it's all packaged together.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Great explanation, Micheal no picture this end.

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I was suggesting a test/repair of your unit as the best cost/quality route but great if eBay delivered a solution.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    My picture upload clearly failed. Google T509 alternator or T595.

7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Make sure you also check the voltage regulator. 9 x out of 10 charging problems are related to a bad VR.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  9. Michael Dooley

Jan 30, 2018
    Mars
    Yes I realise it's all together in one unit did anyone bother to read this? I've mentioned it myself a few times... I've also mentioned I've got a new reg/rec and stator...aka an alternator unit coming. Thanks all for your opinion on egg sucking techniques. It's been a trip!

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Chill pill! I did read your 1st post......and your later one. I was trying to save you money. You asked if you’d missed anything.....well the regulator which IS separately available. Without knowing what you paid for a replacement.....
    Happy to be wrong. Natural condition with SWMBO!