Speed Triple Rs "shift Assist"

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Tony Rokins, Apr 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    When I say works, cuts throttle (or fuel, however it works), engages gear, opens throttle. Smoothly.

Haven't read what manufacturers have claimed, just talking from my personal experience.

Are there specific instructions to not use the shift assist under a certain rpm or risk damaging your gearbox then?

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Acording to the manual it doesn't actually work at very low speeds.

"Triumph Shift Assist will not operate if :-

an upshift is attempted at very low speeds"

There are other circumstances that it won't operate in, but they're daft ones like upshifting from 6th and downshifting from 1st :D

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I don’t understand :worried:
    Why won’t it go into seventh :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Mind you, the owners manual also suggests you should keep the throttle open when down shifting........sounds like a spanner being thrown into an empty skip......

5. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    #25 Chester Monty, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    I had mine fitted yesterday at first service I've only ridden it home but so far I'm happy, very smooth up and down.
    It's a bit of a process to fit apparently, you need a new tune loaded then the bike needs to be ridden holding each gear for 10 seconds, which I'm told calibrates the sifter and software. Once this is done you enable it via the menu and ride it again to test it's working.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chester Monty

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    I've done about 300 miles since I had it fitted now and it's shifting up and down nicely, it works best 2k rmp and above, the only issue Im having is the bike seems to feel different with the new map and I preferred it with the old map. I can't put my finger on it but sounds louder and not as smooth. Also at 6k rpm there is a vibration through the bars, it's not bad only annoying when you can't see anything in the mirrors. Has anybody else noticed a difference since they have had the shift assist fitter or a vibration at 6k?

7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I would think the 'tune' is actually added functionality rather than a change of mapping and so the fuelling will still be the same.

Mine had the shifter fitted from the start, but I have noticed that the exhausts have became louder as the miles clocked up, so the exhaust packing would seem to be burning off a bit.

Not noticed the vibration at all, is the chain overtight maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chester Monty

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    I haven't checked anything yet, I'm hoping it's just running in time although I've done 850 miles!

9. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    All engines will resonate at a particular frequency/ rpm won't they?

Can't say I've noticed it to the point of bothering me but I'll check later and report back

10. Chester Monty

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    Thanks, it's more a case of checking if it's normal.

11. Cmcfadyen

Cmcfadyen New Member

May 20, 2018
    Glasgow
    If its anything like the HM QS I had on the Fireblade then if it has set kill times then you generally can only use it at certain RPM ranges. Am not sure how the shift assist works on the Triumph. Does it automatically calculate kill time based on various parameters?

I set kill time at 65 milliseconds for the blade, which meant shifting over 8k revs was smooth as butter. Anything lower than that and it wouldn't work. Also you can't really use it between 1st and 2nd gear as you have neutral in between and that would require a slightly longer kill time.

They are not necessary on the road but they are so much fun going up and down the box. I loved mine when I had the blade :-0

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Like you, I had the shift assist fitted at the 500 mile service. At first I thought the tick over was not as steady as before, but this seems to have sorted it self out. Not noticed any additional vibes. My exhausts have gotten louder as I've clocked up more miles, now have almost 1,100 showing. Think this more to do with packing material burning out with the heat, not the quick shifter.
    I owned a T595 back in '97 with a TOR hi-level race can, did the same thing...
    T

13. Chester Monty

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    Thanks Tony, the vibration isn't bad only really noticed it in the mirrors. Is this something you have noticed with mine I hit 6k and the mirrors are pointless?

14. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Nah, at 6k I'm to busy clinging on and grinning!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. FCspeed

FCspeed New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Belgium
    Hi ,

I just got the quick shift mounted on my new speed triple RS by my dealer but it doesn't work and he do not know what to do ?:pensive:
    it look like the option need to be activated in the menu according my manual but there is no sub-menu for that (se picture).

anyone have the same problem or une idea:idea: ?

Thank you

file1.jpeg

file-3.jpeg

16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Has he uploaded the new software for the shift assist?

17. FCspeed

FCspeed New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Belgium
    They just mount the QS and say it is is PLUG & PLAY !
    is it possible to know the version of software by myself ?

18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I just know that the dealer had to load new software for the quickshifter.
    It had to be updated and then a quick roadtest by the dealer to set the Shift Assist up and it was ready.
    It's definitely not plug and play.

19. FCspeed

FCspeed New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Belgium
    Ok thank you , I will push on them :mad: to upgrade the software o_O

20. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    Yeah, defintely not plug and play. They have to update the software, turn it on, then ride it and run it through all the gears to calibrate it at the very least. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.