Speed Triple Rs Quirks

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by OhCrumOn, May 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    #1 OhCrumOn, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    So I've put about 700 miles on my 19' speed trip RS and there are a few naggy...quirks (?) that I can't seem to remedy and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

The brakes are so damn squeaky! Both front and rears are mega noisy at low speed and I though that would go away after they bed in but they're still as loud as the first week. I'd really prefer not to have to pull the pads and apply grease but i'm feeling like we may be at that point.

Since day one I've had a weird 'movement' or what feels like excessive play in the front end when braking. After the first service, triumph says everything is within spec, but when I hold the rear brake and rock the bike, I feel a movement in the front end that I don't and haven't experienced on my other bikes. Feels like the head stem is not tight, had a similar feeling on my mtn bike once and the stem needed to be re-aligned & tightened.

I trust my dealership and they said everything was in spec but I can't help but think something feels off with the front end

If anyone else has any weird quirks or nit picky traits they want to share about the speed, share it here and maybe we can collectively figure it out
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi and welcome

I had the Noisy squeaky brakes on my rs, the dealer replaced both discs and pads under warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Damn, not what I was hoping to hear. Did they say why they had to replace instead of applying grease to the pads and just brake cleaning thr rotors?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    The brakes were strimming bits off the rotors bud. Haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Might be because of a similar situation I was in a few years ago with a small rust bubble around the boot lock on a BMW 330 I owned. The car was under warranty and so the dealer was authorised to change the whole boot lid, when I asked why I was told that if the dealer repaired the paintwork any further problems would be down to them, by changing the boot lid it was BMW’s problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Yeah, that'll do it I'm waiting on a stand so I can get the front in the air and see how much play there is in the head stem. I'll check the discs and pads once I get that front wheel off the ground

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome. I have the brake issue was well as an issue with the quickshifter hitting neutrals then slamming into gear. Other than that it is a very special machine and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Well maybe a Tuono if they get a fuel gage one day :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    If the coldest Aprilia dealer wasn't 100+ miles away and their service intervals were so tight I'd have had one too.

You're right though, the speed is something special and brings a genuine smile with every twist of the throttle and a mild grimace when braking at low speeds haha . I actually wish I didn't have a Guage and went back to the fuel light, I'd pay more attention to my miles and not necessarily the gague. I have no idea what kind of fuel economy I'm getting

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Both my 18 plate and it’s 19 plate replacement had squeaky brakes. I haven’t touched the 19 yet but the 18 I replaced the pads and it sorted the problem (I replaced with EBH pads).

Dealer told me the squealing is normal. I beg to differ.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Mine has never squealed so can't be 100% normal ! Though they are performance Brembo pads so if you use them gently maybe they behave differently to fairly hard use ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    True, I’m a heavy braker but strange the EBC pads didn’t squeal

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    You know the speed has that info on screen right? It may not be as accurate as a manual calculation but it will give you a fairly close number. Just remember to rest the fuel info after fill ups. I’m averaging about 5.5 - 6 L/100 km.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    OHCrumOn
    Welcome to the family. Do drop us a picture of the steed.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Speed Triple RS Aus

Speed Triple RS Aus New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Australia
    My dealer said they couldn’t replicate the front pad squeal, happens 90% of the time on light brakes, made me want to avoid braking!!! Seriously, they should recall that and fix it it’s ordinary from Triumph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mark Newell

Mark Newell New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    bedfordshire

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mark Newell

Mark Newell New Member

Jul 2, 2018
    bedfordshire
    Hi
    Had my speed a year this week brakes still squeaking triumph greased both front and back but within short journey home after service back again they did hint that it seemed a common issue have no other real issues .

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Allan Engel

Allan Engel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    I have about 3k miles on my '19. Like others on this forum I am often a "heavy brak'er" and have had zero issues with the brakes. About 60% of my riding consists of mountain roads, i.e. lots of hard acceleration + heavy braking. The RS is my first Triumph & I love the thing. On previous bikes 'noisy brakes' were usually rectified with different pads. I'm certain will will get it sorted quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I think it must be the way the brakes are bed in as my previous RS was an ex demo bike and the brakes squared terribly. My new one was brand new and I’ve had no issues. Maybe they need a hard bed in to stop them getting squealy?

• Agree Agree x 1