Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It truly is a glorious road, Steve! If you ever get down to the Southwest and Tucson, we'll take you up Lemmon. It gets lots of snow in the winter but in the summer we ride up it nearly every Sunday. As do many, many other motorcyclists and bicyclists.

As I said, once I got to riding yesterday I didn't even much think about shifting--other than missing my quick shifter when I started out and on parts of Lemmon. But I also enjoy manually shifting. It is somewhat the principal of the thing--we paid for it, it should work. And it surely shouldn't damage our bikes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nope, first time with one. The HM was recommended in a review I read of our bikes. Sounds top of the line. I actually emailed them and they offer a stand alone blipped/shifter, see photo below. Might have to go this root, sounds like a far superior system anyway.

BBAF1FB3-5719-4C53-96DA-C1C16320F900.png

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    More info on HM quickshifter.

948CF17F-1B66-41BE-AE84-F1B73D80E5F8.png

4. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading

The HM unit is truly fantastic and what a blipper shifter SHOULD be. To be fair!

I also have a contact who works there if anyone does wish you purchase one I can put you in touch for a better price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    I have just got off the phone with HM, I am potentially getting a prototype unit to prove out on the bike.

They do not currently make a model that is proven to suit the speed triple RS.

6. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Be careful with prototypes, because they're obviously not thoroughly tried and tested like the Triumph OEM part.

I'm so funny :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I was told the “Stand Alone Blipper Shifter Range” fits any bike with ride by wire throttle. It was what they recommended to me. What am I missing here?

8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for sharing this info, Steve. Would you mind sending the link to the Speed RS review article you mentioned in your post? Thanks!

Also, my new "improved" (read, reamed out) shifter arm came in yesterday so I'll be heading to my dealership in the next few days to swap arms. But I'm fairly paranoid now that even with the new arm I may have problems since the arm swap didn't solve the issues on your bike. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Here you are, it’s a little long but quite detailed. Don’t use your shift assist yet Sandi, there is more going on I believe. I’ve been contacted by my dealer and they are in contact with Triumph UK wanting more info about what’s been happening with my bike. Triumph UK also wanted my dealer to get my bike so they can try and simulate the false neutrals and take screen shots of it to send to them. I said no way, as there is a potential for additional damage to my gearbox. I’m not putting this gearbox through that again. I believe these quickshifters are a very unsophisticated mechanical switch that sends the signal for the kill times required for shifting. The more sophisticated quickshifters use “strain gauge technology” which is not a mechanical switch that is way less precise and can fail. I highly doubt this issue will be resolved by Triumph unless they manufacture and replace the existing one with a more sophisticated quickshifter. I have informed my dealer that it’s only under heavy loads (high rpm’s) that the quickshifter fails, which seems to point at the kill times for the quickshifter being factory set for lower rpm shits. Triumph’s quickshifter is not capable of adjusting from light loads to heavy shits under load, where as others like the HM is. It will be interesting to see how Triumph “try’s “ to resolve this issue, but I’m not holding my breath. For me I think it’s time to start saving for a quality blipper/shifter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry, lol, I forgot to add the link.
    http://www.lawrencephotographic.com... Triple RS/Triumph Speed Triple RS Review.htm

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi, Steve! Thanks for the update on what's happening with your bike, your dealer, and Triumph UK. And for your take on what seems to be going on with the Triumph stock quick shifter. I appreciate the review link, too. Please continue to keep us up to date on any new news. I'll do the same.

I rode my RS up Mt. Lemmon this morning and only using the clutch to shift. My quick shifter remains in disabled mode. Hmmm, "disabled" mode. Pretty appropriately named, I'd say. My bike shifted beautifully the whole ride but, dang, I miss being able to use the quick shifter. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Haha, yeah disabled is appropriate. I will keep everyone up to date.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Been using the bike a lot over the last week. The quickshifter and blipper now working as they should....BUT...... had the dreaded 4th gear to 5th gear bang then slip rev it’s nuts off then slam into gear.
    3 times now
    I’ll keep using it as it should be used and then back to the dealers again if it gets worse

14. shandyboy

shandyboy New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newcastle;
    You need to stop using the Quickshifter it will destroy 4th gear I did and It has killed mine mate. Use the clutch and get it back to dealers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    It will destroy your whole gearbox, as it did mine. Triumphs quickshifters are a pile of shite.

16. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    How many times did it happen on yours ?

17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    After about 8 times my gearbox was badly worn.

18. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Thanks Steve, I’ll stop using mine then from 4th to 5th then!

19. shandyboy

shandyboy New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newcastle;
    Mine was the same hit about 8-9 false neutrals now 4h gear is shot!!
    Goes in Tuesday for the dealer to look at.
    Not looking good just use clutch only mate like Steve said the blippers should never have been used till triumph sorted them all there fault not fit for purpose

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but what's the benefit of setting the QS as 'Disabled'...as opposed to just not using it?

Or put another way, if it's set to 'Disabled' and force of habit causes you to shift without the clutch, wouldn't that do more harm? Perhaps leaving it 'Enabled' is a better option - just in case of 'user error'?

Mine's currently enabled, but I'm avoiding it (like the plague).