Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Mine had a
    Steve, contact your dealer and tell them its the quickshifter itself thats faulty, just had mine changed yesterday under warranty.
    Riding home the bike was flawless mate, before the change it seemed a little jerky.

2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    This is a different quickshifter from my first one. The first one was sh*t as well. There is something seriously wrong somewhere.

3. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    :weary_face::tired_face: maybe its time you reject your bike steve, you've not had it long and its been nothing but bother.

4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’d rather have my classy matt black bike without a quickshifter than one of the hideous colours of the new bikes, with a working quickshifter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    :joy::joy: you have a good point, yester a lad just took ownership of his new rs in those colours..... as he pulled away i was literally sick in my own mouth..... looks even worse out in the sunshine. :joy:
    I mean no offence to anyone whos ordered or got one just that the colours do absolutely nothing for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. shandyboy

shandyboy New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newcastle;
    Well, my 2018 bike has had issues with quick shifter jumping out of 4th hitting rev limiter then clunking into gear happed on and off a dozen times.
    Now when riding in 4th gear keeps jumping like Albis on the first post is doing happens all the time now, have to miss 4th out all the time now having to short shift into 5th!!
    The noise is very bad so looks like the quickshifter has killed the box got the bike from Newcastle Triumph so it's booked in for the 3rd July apparently they have never had this problem so now the fun begins as £13500 for a bike with 4k on it to be taken apart to hopefully be put right?
    Got to be lots of metal in the engine to say I am not happy is an understatement and will insist on a NEW engine

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    #127 Burny_13, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    That’s total rubbish and I have no idea where they get this “advice” from.

Yes, if it’s too short the arm hits the frame, and if it’s too long it hits the side stand. But that’s sort of obvious when you’re setting it up!

From the way you describe your issue, the kill time at higher revs is too short, combine this with the relatively long stroke on the shift lever and it is asking for a bit of trouble from anything less than a fully positive input.

My professional advice to triumph would be to shorten the shift arm, resulting in less foot movement for a gearshift and increase the kill time by 20ms, simple as that would probably cure the whole thing. From looking at the quick shifter fitted it appears to be a switch and not a load cell, if it were, they could increase the load limit before the cut which would increase the preload on the shift, making the whole thing smoother.

Since fitting my new shift arm I have had a few dodgy shifts, but nothing quite so serious. Mine seems to get “stuck” in 5th gear, rather than a false neutral.

Also, side note... has anyone had any cruise control issues? Such as the button sticking, and it revving it’s tits off if the clutch is pulled in.

8. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Also, side note... has anyone had any cruise control issues? Such as the button sticking, and it revving it’s tits off if the clutch is pulled in.[/QUOTE]
    No, mines fine, this must be a new problem, first ive heard of it.

9. Mr Yaro

Mr Yaro New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    tyne and wear
    Albi who was the dealer you got your bike from buddy.

As my Speed RS started to have problems in 4th gear. Its a bit like a slipping clutch for a milli second. This only happens when riding hardish through the gears. Get to 4th and the rear wheel skips 2/3 times. Now doing it all the time in 4th gear even taken your time you can roll on and off throttle and it is very scary load grinding sound feels like you have lost control

10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s some interesting information you have provided. It’s too bad Triumph has this inferior piece of rubbish on such a premium bike.

11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    No, mines fine, this must be a new problem, first ive heard of it.[/QUOTE]
    No issues. Fingers crossed.

12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Burny_13 said - Also, side note... has anyone had any cruise control issues? Such as the button sticking, and it revving it’s tits off if the clutch is pulled in.

I’d get that back to the dealers ASAP.
    Pulling the clutch in should disengage the cruise as the clutch switch is a cruise control interlock, the revs shouldn’t hold on. Could be a serious safety issue. o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Is this happening during an up shift. That’s what mine did about a half a dozen times, and that was enough to destroy the gearbox. I feel your pain bro. I was without the bike for 3 weeks while it was at the dealer.

14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, with my quick shifter disabled, I rode my '19 RS about 100 miles earlier today. We have a great mountain (Mt. Lemmon) in Tucson that's 17 miles from my doorstep. The base is at 2500' and the top (of the paved road anyway) is at 8500'. It's a gorgeous 25 mile beautifully paved and cambered twisty route to the top. Along the way you go through 5 biological life zones. But I digress.

My bike, in let's call it "quick shifter-less mode" was smooth as silk. I was worried that I might have done some damage using the quick shifter prior to disabling it. So I felt relieved as I pulled into my garage to realize that I really never even thought about my gearing (or grinding) on today's ride. I'm hopeful that my bike's problem will be fully solved by replacing the shifter arm when it arrives from Triumph. But Steve's quick shifter problem wasn't, so who the heck knows what's going on with the stock quick shifters. Sigh.......

15. shandyboy

shandyboy New Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Newcastle;
    Steve yes happens in mainly 4th and 5th changing up hits rev limiter then a loud grinding crunch, now even using clutch when in 4th roll on the throttle and it jumps as if its missing on the cog.
    Fitting a new quickshifter will not solve the problem in 4th gear now its wrecked.
    What did they do to solve your gearbox problem buddy ??

16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Your gearbox is toast, sorry. They will have to rebuild the whole gearbox, as they did with mine. Mine did the same thing in 4th gear with roll on. It started after the quickshifter hammered the sh*t out of the gearbox. Stop riding it and take it to your dealer. Who knows, maybe you can get a new bike. Albi did. I’m thinking about looking into an aftermarket quickshifter. It obvious we can’t trust Triumphs poor attempt at one. Funny, the Street Triple has had one for a few years and no issues that I’m aware of, but it is only a single channel ours is a dual channel, maybe that’s the issue. I give up.

17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sounds like a glorious road Sandi, one that I would love to ride one day. I think we have to wait on Triumph to really sort out the quickshifter issue before trying to use it again. Even if they install the new arm I wouldn’t use it if I were you Sandi. There is something else going on with them that even Triumph is unable to detect and resolve. I’m honestly not that concerned as I enjoy manually shifting anyway, but I did pay for the dam thing so it should work. Right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    That is sh1t news Steve. Badger your dealer...

19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I will let them know tomorrow, but I can’t see the dealer being able to do anything about really. They’ll contact Triumph and Triumph will scratch their heads. I’m glad yours is spot on Albi, but I might have to buy an aftermarket quickshifter if I want a working unit.

20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Steve, have you had a quick shifter prior to your RS? A cursory search turned up three brands that seem to be fairly common and respected--Bazzaz, HM, and Dynojet. The prices make me gulp. I'm still hopeful (ever hopeful!) that Triumph will get on this and figure it out. Particularly since they've replaced at least one entire bike in Albi's. Like you and I have both commented, we paid for the darned things when we bought the RS version so they should work. And of course now I'm pretty hooked on using one. Anyway, please let us know what your dealer's response is. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1