Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading

They called it something really odd like”gear shift clamp”.

Anyway, when at the dealer I asked about the part number. Seems that the dealers access system to the parts (with the pictorgrams) ha snot yet been fully updated, it shows the old part, and number but says that it is now obsolete/ discontinued. However doesn’t offer an alternative number, so currently, that part it totally unavailable!

The chap I was talking to didn’t seem phased at all by this and said he would just have to call up to get it issued but it wouldn’t be a problem.
    Not heard from them today, but will give them till Friday as it’s raining here anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    Had a nosy at my bike this evening, which though not currently fitted with the QS, did have it fitted. There is a clear witness mark from the body of the QS on the shift lever.

The original part no appears to be:
    PFKL3024415 CLAMP, LINKAGE, ASSEMBLY

I guess it is this number that is superseded

3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, all of us enjoying our bikes as they were meant to be is what it's all about! I spoke with the service manager at my local dealership this morning and explained my concerns about the quick shifter on the RS. He, as I anticipated, hadn't heard anything about the issue. He also said that Triumph UK and Triumph "elsewhere" are not always on the same page with Triumph USA nor can or do they always have equivalent fixes or sometimes even products. I ran across an example of that when I was doing mods on my RS. I liked and wanted the Triumph brand aftermarket wind screen but learned that it wasn't DOT compliant in the US. Consequently I was unable to order it directly from Triumph and through my dealership or even most US businesses that are affiliated with Triumph. Anyway, the service manager asked me to e-mail him anything that would be helpful and also to ride my bike over this week so he can look at it in person. Thanks to this forum and specifically this thread, I was able to screen shot particularly useful posts and photos then e-mail that information to him. I also e-mailed him the three photos of my bike that I posted a day or two ago. He is going to contact to the "powers that be" and start/make a case for a fix. I do seem to be the only American on this thread, or at least the only one who's concerned about the quick shifter problem. I hope that Triumph USA is as responsive as Triumph UK. I'll keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sandi, sounds like you are on the right track with the right dealer. In the mean time manual shifting is very satisfying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    Just done a track day (today) Thrashed the bike. No issues with QS...Great bike.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yahoo! Yep,I am definitely with the right dealer. Earlier today I rode over to"Triumph World" to show the service manager, Steve, my bike/quick shifter and to discuss my concerns in person. Steve had looked at the e-mails I sent him yesterday and had already contacted Triumph and gotten a case started complete with a case number and everything . He said that problem was just as he suspected from our phone call AND pretty much spot on with what Burney_13 described. Between this forum discussion and Steve's explanation, I now have a very good understanding of what the heck is going on. Anyway, Steve is a bulldog on things like these so after taking pics of my quick shifter and surrounds and the telltale witness mark, he was already heading back inside to fire off another round of e-mails. :D He did mention grinding the shifter arm but recommended simply disabling the quick shifter instead which I had already done. Wow, nothing like not being able to use something to make you REALLY want to use it, eh?! ;)

Oh, one more important thing.....Steve said talked about the tolerances like Burney_13 did and said that it would be likely many or most of the bikes would wind up with this QS problem at some point. Some would develop them sooner and some later as some parts in the mechanisms can change or shift slightly in dimension (my words, not his--can't remember just how he put it). So I'm glad that some of you talked about being proactive and not waiting until there was a bigger problem like, frustratingly, others of you have experienced. Ask my husband, my middle name is "Proactive". :laughing: I'll post updates as they occur.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That's great news, Albi! So glad the bike and QS are running like a champ. After all you've been through with the Speed Triple, you (well, your bike) deserve a good thrashing. Enjoy that beast!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s great to hear Albi. Maybe it’s time I give mine a go. o_O.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, things related to resolving my quick shifter issue are moving in a positive direction very quickly here in Arizona. I've already received two e-mails this morning, one from Triumph North America (I've been incorrectly saying Triumph USA) and one from my local dealership's service manager.

From Triumph North America to my service manager and me:
    "Steve, I apologize for the delay in response. We have been waiting for a direction from the UK on this one. We do have a small batch of the updated part which I will be sending to you today. This will resolve the issue with your customer's bike. Again, I apologize for the delay, but I'm sure you can imagine the hustle and communications going on regarding the issue."

From my service manager:
    "I just got word from Triumph North America this morning and they are sending us out the upgraded part. Triumph indicated that they have a small number of these upgraded parts on hand and are working to isolate how many have the defect. As soon as we see the part we will contact you so we can get your bike repaired."

• Like Like x 4
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Congrats Sandi! Nice work.:cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Also, this might be the only official notification we see regarding a resolve on our bikes. An email from Triumph to those that have been affected by this oversight, apologizing for any inconvenience would be more appropriate in my honest opinion, but I’m not holding my breath. I never even got any sympathy from my dealer for the three weeks my bike was in the shop. Anyways, I hope this is all behind us now and we can enjoy our bikes. Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    Visited the dealer and explained the situation. They had not heard of this previously but a quick call to Triumph directly confirmed that it was a known issue and the part is now on order and should be with them pretty quickly.

Although not confirmed the word recall was used a couple of times so I would recommend not using the quickshifter for the time being to see if this is the case.

Thanks for everyone's help above because without this information the dealer wouldn't have investigated directly with the manufacturer.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Got mine today, dealer is busy for a few weeks so said I’d fit it myself.

Not only do I have the part, I get to keep the old one (which I have already modified anyway, will post explaining how to do this in case anyone has issues with their dealer and wants it fixed).

You can clearly see the cut out they have put it, very quick and easy job on the mill!!

Takes about 5 minutes to fit too.

21700E62-4794-412F-B0D8-169FA0586BDE.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    That's one hell of a chunk taken out!

My dealer was unaware of the problem today but that photo should point them in the right direction and gives me some ideas/guidance for some dremelling when I refit my QS linkage, if the new part is not around in time,

15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, I went for a short ride today and engaged the quickshifter, as it looked like others have resolved the issue with the new shift linkage. Everything was fine until my first full throttle shift at about 8000 rpms. Yup, another false neutral on the up shift. Luckily this time I was able to pull in the clutch before it slammed into the next gear. Jesus Christ. I’m done with quickshifters.

• WTF WTF x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, geez. That truly sucks, Steve. How unbelievably frustrating. :weary_face: Do you think it could be some else or something in addition to or because of the quick shifter?

17. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I have no idea to be honest. All I know is I cannot and will not engage that dam thing again, if I value my engine. I will let my dealer know on Tuesday. Although there is nothing they can do about it anyway.

18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I sure can't say that I blame you. I was just looking at a Motorcycle Garage video by Ari Henning on quick shifters. Maybe our shift arms are just part of the problem. For example, I'm wondering if the load cell or whatever Triumph calls it could be problematic. Looks like some of the aftermarket quick shifters have a way to actually adjust and program them for one's bike and riding style. There's so little in the owners manual that it's not even helpful.

19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The only thing I can find on triumphs quickshifter is that it’s essential to have the correct shift arm length. Other than that there’s nothing available

20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Even though the Triumph quickshifter is a real F**k up, I still love this bike. Hopefully nothing else goes sideways.

• Agree Agree x 1