Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Brought the bike in for the 3rd time yesterday. I'm away for work for 2 weeks, so I'm leaving it there. This should be plenty of time to figure out how to fix this issue and inspect for damage... I told the dealer that this was happening to other RS owners, citing some of the cases from this forum. I also wrote to Triumph explaining the issue and that I was now worried about the internal components that may have been damaged due to this QS issue. I'll post updates as this all progress's. Happy riding!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I got the bike back on Saturday with all the issues resolved. Damn it’s nice to be back riding again.

• Like Like x 5
  3. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    Hi Albi, My bike is booked in for this issues next week but my dealer weren't aware of the new linkage from Triumph. Do you have any notes from your dealer with details/part no?

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    @Albi - Sorry to ask again, but it would really help to know which dealership called you with the information. I'm being told that there isn't a part available (yet) but Triumph know that the problem exists (but haven't addressed it yet).

I'm trying to get something in writing from Triumph...and any extra information would help. Thanks.

5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Albi, hows the quickshifter working out with the new arm? I also have one of the new linkage arms installed, but I won’t use it until it’s confirmed that’s the problem.

6. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    Sorry for late reply, I bought my speed from A1 Moto in York. They sorted my QS issue out. Hope you get yours sorted ASAP.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    Just completed 1000 miles run in. Not 1 missed shift. Really smooth. Fantastic bike.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's really helpful Albi - thank you.

I received an emailed response from my dealership yesterday, stating that Triumph UK are "currently investigating this issue" and I'll be informed if and when a fix is made available.

Bearing in mind that I'm looking for prevention, rather than a potential repair later, I'm now going to contact Triumph After Sales directly (as I've been through the required process of first approaching my dealer) and I'll ask for a 'preventative warranty fix', using the photo evidence of the part and the added information that other dealers have fitted the part to support my case.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Oh no Albi, did you buy one of those Reebok pump coloured speed rs's! :eek:

10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nice! Have you performed any high rpm shift changes?

11. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Hi Guys,

First post here....

Have had mine a week now, bought it used with 1900 on the clock, done just over 2200 now.

I had the QS fitted by the dealer before I picked it up, got this thrown into the deal for nothing.

This evening riding home, I did experience some issues shifting from 5th-6th, but also noticed that this seemed to coincide with the shift display still reading 4th, although it had definitely shifted to 5th. If i tried to shift to 6th in this state then it would not go, however, If i waited for the display to catch up, then it was fine.

I am wondering if the issue may actually root from a misaligned gear potentiometer and nothing too much more complex.

I work in R&D for a motorsport transmissions company and often have customers complaining of similar issues, normally found to be electronics based rather than mechanical (although they often result in mechanical failure).

I will try to have a chat with my local dealer in the week and discuss with them.
    I may also do a bit more research by riding the bike and see if it tallies up with any of the data I have from work.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Right, it was bugging me so I dragged my arse out of bed and had a look at this physically.

Looks as though the body of the load cell contacts the shifting arm, this causes two issues, which will cause shifting issues.

1. restricts the motion of the gear change.
    2. affects the load reading of the cell and therefore the engine cut.
    Also. damages my precious!!!

Looking at it, the obvious solution is to move the load cell further away, but we cant do this as the ball joint is fixed to the load cell (or appears to be)

You could fettle the arm, but this would weaken it.

You could turn the whole thing round so that the load cell is at the pedal end rather than the gearbox end, but this may have clearance issues of its own. (it wont affect the function what-so-ever)

So, in my very quick opinion, this updated arm which triumph have fitted to a few of your bikes may in fact be the fix. I will be asking my local dealer for one ASAP for sure.

Now, this restriction will only affect shifts in harsh circumstances as these are the cases where full motion and force are required. Low load shifts don't require as much movement or force because the detent on the barrel is usually strong enough to complete a shift in this situation, your foot is only required to 'get things moving' so to speak, the mechanicals do the rest.

If you look at the images I have attached you can see the marking, and contacting of these parts.

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Well @Burny_13 - that's an amazing insight into what's happening, and it ties up with everything posted to date.

If you can come up with this sort of information after dragging yourself out of bed at this hour...you must be pure genius by the morning :grinning:

Welcome to the forum!

14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, @Burney_13! Thanks for your informative and insightful post regarding the quick shifter problems that so many forum members are having. But.....I must admit that I am a mechanical Neanderthal. I've had my RS since November and haven't had the major quick shifter problems that others have experienced and described. However, I'm totally paranoid at this point that I'll have those same issues at some point. After reading and rereading your post numerous times, I'm still feel like I'm in the dark. Well, after the rereads maybe it's only dusk but I'm surely squinting to see. Your last paragraph about "harsh circumstances" makes sense. I can tell the difference in how smoothly the quick shifter does its job under different conditions and with different variables at work. But I really can't tell from the photos just what I should be looking for on my bike. Could you--or someone--use high(er) tech capabilities to draw on the photos and repost so I know what to look for? Also, has anyone on this thread that's in the U.S. talked with his or her dealer about getting an updated arm as a preventative/proactive measure? My dealership here in Tucson AZ is so small that they've yet to sell another Speed Triple since I bought mine last fall so consequently they've had no reports of problems. I'm sort of an N of 1 and I've not had problems (yet anyway). I, like MrTriple, would like to be proactive! Thanks.

15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Sandi, I must say I really enjoy the humour in your posts :). Have a look at these photos, I don’t recall the member who posted them but you can see where the contact point is and where you need to look on your bike. See the difference in clearance with the new arm. That’s the same arm I now have. But I’m still to chicken to try the shift assist though :worried:.

DB17373F-AE8A-456B-9112-6FE99480DD86.jpeg

FFBCCA24-D042-45B6-95E7-26C5C41D4629.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    #76 Burny_13, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Using the most advanced software and data analysis tools available to my iPhone,
    I have circled the small mark where the load cell contacts the shift arm for you Sandi.

B08E6A43-3110-47D5-9C3C-53A42B687247.jpeg

Steve. I have just noticed the cut out in your second photo. Is this the “updated arm” you have mentioned? Or something that the dealer did themselves?

• Like Like x 1
  17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Here's a pic of mine, you can see the witness mark there as well.

20190516_160638.jpg

18. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Its an updated part from the triumph factory.
    The picture used is my bike matey.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    Thanks RSPete.

So after having spoken to 4 separate dealers today I rang Hinkley.

The dealers knew nothing of the issue but as soon as I said about it to head office they knew exactly what it was.
    They hav ethey they will be in touch with my local dealer who will arrange a warranty claim to have the part replaced.

This so far, has been a real simple process, much better than I have experienced anywhere else for sure!!

One thing I do want to try for myself is just moving the shift arm clockwise by one spline. I suspect this will also totally rectify the issue and negate the need for any part up issues.
    Most owners would also be more than capable of doing this themselves.

You would obviously need to re-adjust the length of the shift rod to get the pedal back in the correct place, but that’s also really easy to do.

I think I will try this first and let you all know how’s I get on. Hopefully will have an answer for you guys late tonight.

I will obviously still aim to get the correctly updated part fitted by triumph too. In my experience the simple cut out they have made to this arm will solve all the issues and be perfectly safe to use, for those of you who were worried.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Dont do it!! Triumph are very specific about the lenght of the qs shaft.
    Wouldnt want you to get shafted by your own shifter shaft when triumph put the new part on. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1