Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. E.C.Ewe

E.C.Ewe New Member

Feb 21, 2022
    UK

I have NOT said any of the above comment that you have attributed to me. You have clearly fabricated this response. How you have done this I do not know, but it seems to me to be in clear violation of this forum's rules or indeed any forums rules.

2. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #582 timboo, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    @E.C.Ewe No probs at all, apologies I have only just seen your kind comments as this thread didn’t ping up until today.
    Keen to hear how you are getting on please.

To all in the UK possibly having this problem:

Whilst visiting my local dealer I asked about the symptoms described in this thread and that some owners may not feel safe to ride their bike. My dealer advised that you can contact Triumph UK and request a mobile engineer visit your address where your bike is to look at the problem.
    P.S don’t shoot the messenger, I appreciate the possible limitations here. Just quoting my main dealer. I do not own the bike in question on this thread I have only posted as @E.C.Ewe messaged me privately for advice having suffered an expensive manufacturing defect myself.

In addition if not done already it may also be a good idea to raise a potential issue as a safety concern via the below link in the UK. More people report better chance of something being done about it.
    If an owner simply sells their bike what does that actually achieve? Arguably it could contribute to the risk of accident for the unsuspecting future owner. Also why not tackle the main dealer and raise a formal complaint with Triumph UK aftersales. Tackling the dealer does not just mean phoning a dealer or sending several emails, a call with consumer rights is a good start.
    Appreciate if a person has exhausted all options or had a bike fixed and lost confidence in it, bit different in that scenario. I also understand in order to get to the bottom of the issue could be time consuming and potentially costly.

I’m happy to help anyone who would just like some general advice or a steer in the right direction. Note I am not a solicitor nor an expert witness so any advice given should be ratified with the consumer helpline or other legal entity.

It seems an awful shame that this thread has an element of discord to it.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

Cheers Tim

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I am looking at a 2019 Speed Triple. and my question is...Would you buy one? Or find another similar bike without the issue?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I got mine 12months ago tomorrow and I absolutely love mine! Hope this helps :grinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    if you really want a bike with quickshifter, I would look at something other than Triumph.
    If you’re not fussed about a QS, the S3RS is a fine bike but to be on the safe side, buy one which doesn’t have or has never been fitted with a QS. Why take the risk would be my view.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Mine has been perfect. Just love it. It’s the perfect road bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    How long you had yours @Oldskool ? And how many miles?

8. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    the 1050 is a fine engine and the last incarnation is easily the best - smoother fueling, more powerful and more economical.
    I’m on the Tiger forum and there are several owners with over 100K miles and one guy who smashed 200K over a year ago.
    QS would be my only concern (some are fine and so it’s a lottery but a potentially very destructive one!!) or perhaps maybe the dodgy keyless start which can be a bit hit and miss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    The keyless thing was the reason I hesitated in buying the RS. A complete gimmick I reckon

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I collected in Jan 2019. Ex demo bike. It’s now done about 5000 miles I think. Not ridden it this year yet.
    upload_2023-4-20_22-39-37.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    I was one of those who had issues very early on in 2018/19 and raised the issue with Triumph back then. I was one of the first to have the new part fitted before it was officially a recall.

Since then I have mostly avoided using the quick shifter as I just don't trust it however when I do between gears 4 & 5 I will get the issue reoccuring of the quickshifter not engaging and the grinding of the gearbox at high revs. A horrible noise!

The bike is now showing about 5000miles and the gearbox is not performing as it should. The bike is going into the dealer next week for this to be looked at but their suspicion (based on this being a known issue) is the the gearbox is going to need rebuilding. Obviously the bike is now out of warranty despite me having raised this as a issue within my first 2 weeks of ownership and continuing to request for it to be looked at.

Fingers crossed it's good news and if it needs the gearbox work that Triumph will support this financially as otherwise it will really sour my experience with the bike and the brand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    When you say not performing as it should, what is it doing/not doing? My 2019 has done just over 8000 and was wondering what I should be looking for.

13. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Done over 12000 miles on my Speed Triple RS with no gearbox issues to report. Don't have a quickshifter though.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Alan Gilbert

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I'm sorry to hear this and all the moreso given that you have been selective about using the QS.
    The early 1050 gearboxes, as fitted to my 1050 2008 Tiger, were notorious for false neutrals and vague-feeling gear changes. What can happen, for example when changing from 4th to 5th, is the selector drum doesn't fully rotate and the dogs then fail to engage. The grinding, clonking noises that then emerge from the gearbox are due to the dogs smashing against the driven gearwheel each time they pass but fail to engage. Only when the revs more nearly match do they finally slot in and usually, accompanied by a massive clonk.
    From the rider's perspective, having stabbed the shift lever to select 5th, you then release the clutch and then accelerate but because you've hit a false neutral, the revs shoot around towards the redline. The immediate reaction of most riders is to close the throttle and pull the clutch whilst coasting for a few seconds, wondering what the hell just happened. This coincides with the period where the speed mismatch between the dogs and driven gear wheel is at a maximum and produces all the horrible grating and grinding - lasts maybe 3-4 seconds but sounds like an eternity until the main seismic event when the dogs finally mate but at least they do so with the clutch mainly pulled and with only the force of the gear train inertia behind the slam.
    Of course, a similar event can occur with a quick shifter but when it does, the consequences are far more catastrophic. . . . .
    Changing from 4th to 5th, the engine briefly cuts, you shift but hit a falsey but then the engine resumes. If it does so on an open throttle, the dogs are now speeding past and gnashing against the driven gearwheel but doing so with 150bhp behind each impact and also the ultimate and final slam. It is this that totally fubars the dogs and wrecks the box. Each time it happens, there will be damage and indeed, it only needs to happen once for the damage to be terminal.
    I own a S1000RR with QS and this is a VERY rare event for this bike but it does still occasionally happen and with not dissimilar outcomes and although I use the QS on this bike, I do so sparingly and always on a "feathered" (neutral throttle NOT a closed throttle) throttle which kind of defeats the purpose of having it really. At least I know that if I hit a falsey, this mismatch in dog speed is absolutely minimal and likewise, any subsequent "slam" will have a minimum of force behind it. Strangely, this technique results in far smoother changes than merely leaving the throttle pinned but is clearly slower to carry out and also reduces your rate of acceleration. I merely ease off on the throttle until the throttle is neutral - ie neither accelerating or decelerating, snick into 5th on a steady throttle and then accelerate.
    The thing that is so weird with this issue with Triumph is that it seems to affect certain bikes and certain riders which does make me think that perhaps certain styles of riding invite the issue and one prerequisite for sure, is a good firm press of the shifter . . . a light, quick stab with insufficient force will invite armageddon for sure.
    Let us know if Triumph play ball - I hope they do as it's a problem they know about and have replaced any number of boxes under warranty already.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Would love to update to one of these. Not going to.

16. Pedro1340

Pedro1340 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2018
    .Glasgow
    Absolutely, I sold my speed triple r, lasted under a year before returning, didn't want keyless or quickshifter, bought the S model and don't regret it one bit received_302722714537548.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  17. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    The main issue is the gearbox making a grinding noise on some gear changes and also a very heavy weight to the gear lever at certain times requiring quite a lot of force through the lever to get it in gear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Cheers for that. Know what to look for now.

19. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    Well it turns out the bike does need the gearbox taking out and rebuilding :(

The dealer is going to contact the Triumph warranty team to see if they will help out so fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Good luck, matey!

• Agree Agree x 2