Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Nope, I wouldn’t!
    I haven’t, and rode it extremely firmly today with the above in mind. Nothing happened, every gear is bang on, full throttle from 3rd till 6th, me is one happy puppy! :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    #42 SteveRS, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    If and when I get my bike back, I won’t use the quickshifter ever again. One f’ed up shift Could potentially do damage to your engine. It’s really too bad Triumph didn’t sort this before selling the bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, from all the discussion on this forum about quick shifter issues, I wouldn't be inclined to purchase one. However, I have an RS model and the quick shifter came stock. Which means its as built into the price and that I paid for it. And if I paid for it I'd sure like to be able to use it. If I had a model that didn't come with the quick shifter, I think I'd stick with "old school" and just use the clutch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. V.L.

V.L. New Member

May 10, 2019
    Latvia
    Thx :) I also have RS 2018 and I don't have QS in stock ... and now I think ... I don't need it :D better I buy new piece of gear :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup, it’s too bad we pay for something that can’t be trusted. I should ask to be reimbursed for the price of a QS when I finally get my bike back. If I can’t trust it I shouldn’t have to pay for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    Just had a call from my dealership. There is a new linkage for the QS problem. Seems like Triumph have a fix to the issue.

I pick up the replacement bike Monday. With new QS linkage. I will let you know how it responds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Congrats on the replacement bike! I wish Triumph would just give me a replacement bike as well. I guess I will find out soon what’s going to happen. The dealer experience has been good so far.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Albi, we will all eagerly await your report on the new QS linkage. If this is global Triumph fix, I'd love to get that new linkage while my bike is shifting well! Prevention is the best medicine. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MattChr

MattChr Member

Apr 23, 2018
    North London
    Is this just a problem with the RS and up/down quickshifter?
    My ‘17 R with up only QS seems well behaved, but worried about one missed upchange...

10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hey Albi, hows the new bike with the new linkage?

Update regarding my bike: It’s been in the shop for three weeks now, gearbox was completely removed and showed excessive wear. The quickshifter linkage also showed the rub mark made by the quickshifter. My dealer is waiting on Triumph for direction on what to do next. I can’t believe the engineers at Triumph didn’t check to ensure there was adequate space between the linkage and quickshifter. : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Do you have this update from Triumph in writing for the QS issue? I'm having the same problem.

12. Luke_88

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Do you have this update from Triumph in writing for the QS issue? I'm having the same problem!

13. Luke_88

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Steve, if you could, let me know the outcome of your QS issue. I live in Canada as well and I'm thinking of bringing the bike in so that they fix this once and for all. Got another false neutral yesterday... Thanks!

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Will do. Have you brought it in and told them about it yet? If it is false neutraling and slamming into the next gear disable it in your dash and don’t use it otherwise you’re going to do a lot of damage to the transmission. Mine showed severe damage after it did it about 6-8 times.

15. Albi

Albi Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Richmond
    OK, been offline for a while.

Just completed 500 miles on the new bike. No false neutrals. The fix seems to have worked. However, still breaking the engine in, so haven't changed between 4&5 above 6000 revs. But I never did on the old one.

Hope you get your bikes sorted soon.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Luke_88

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Yes, it's already been in twice. They never found the problem. Saying the ecu showed no errors. They lowered it closer to the foot peg thinking it would help with pressure at high speeds, which didn't help. It's going in again on Monday and I told them to keep it until it's fixed and they're convinced that the gearbox has no damage

17. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    For what it’s worth, I brought an ex demo RS and the Quickshifter works perfectly . It is the first bike with a QS that I have owned but after a little time spent getting used to it, I love it. I also do not tend to use 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st and make sure that I make good positive contact with the lever when using it and so far- so good ....
    Fingers crossed for you repairs and I will hope mine stays as good as it currently is.
    Does chain tension have an effect I wonder ?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. kazzz

kazzz New Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Belgium
    Hey guys,

I signed up on this forum especially for this issue.
    My friend en I bought both a brand new Speed RS 2019 with QS.
    Yesterday we went out on our 2nd trip and we drove for 350km's.
    We both have the issue that our bikes have a miss up-shift at 4th to 5th and happens 5 out of 10 times.
    So we had like more then 10 times the issue yesterday.
    We informed our dealer with the info from this topic and.... I'm holding my breath of you tell me even after 5 miss up-shifts you have a damaged gearbox.

Let us hope this is not the case but I'm not happy at all at the moment.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Albi - Do you mind saying which dealership called you with this information?

I don't have a problem, rarely use the QS between gear 4 and 5, but do have the tell-tale mark on the linkage arm. I want a 'preventative warranty fix' (given that I've no confidence in the QS) and I didn't get very far with a face to face conversation when my bike was serviced. Triumph East London (formally known as Jack Lilley) have not experienced this issue.

I've since sent a detailed email which was then forwarded to warranty claims (I think) and I'm promised a reply.

20. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    I am a couple of months into my RS ownership and the last few rides I have had the issues changing gear with the QS from 4th to 5th. The QS does not engage and there is a load gear grinding noise. I have notified the dealer and am awaiting to hear their response.

Please keep us updated with your progress with the dealer as I fear this could be a wider issue.