Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    HI Mate, Have you got an update on your bikes ETA yet? I am waiting for a 3rd gear which is not being delivered until 14th November and then i have to wait for it all to be fitted back together. Just wondered how you were getting on

2. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    i haven't even been given a date, was just told november. so you are one up on me
    i did decide to kick up a fuss due to fact i feel whole situation that has now left me without a bike for 2 months should not have happened in first place.
    but as expected as achieved nothing, i have considered making a complaint via NCS, but if only 2 weeks until parts arrive, then seems rather pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Ah pretty much same as me then. I have emailed triumph uk aftersales and trying to hurry them a long a bit with parts etc. See what happens with that but will keep you posted with any updates. Feel like a letter of disapproval may be on the cards as soon as the bike is back with me. I have not rode my bike properly since 5th August. Not very good considering its no fault of ours eh pal.

4. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    #524 Oldskool, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Have you tried it? It seems to work for me (on a fully shut throttle) as you go down the gears it blips . Just trying to protect my box if you know what I mean. Shouldn’t have to but I can’t afford a new one and I’m out of warranty .

5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    When the clutch lever is pulled the quickshifter/blipper is disengaged. That’s how the system Is designed to work. If yours is actually working how you are suggesting, you have a serious problem with your bike. I would check the switch for the clutch underneath the handlebar to ensure it is engaging/disengaging when the lever is pulled. But then again it wouldn’t surprise me considering the issues we have been experiencing with our quickshifters/gearbox’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    also contacted triumph aftersales directly yesterday as had not had any reply from the dealer since chasing by phone and email last week.
    Had a response saying they are looking into it, i am not expecting much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    wow! just had a very apologetic phone call from the manager of the dealership. apologizing for not responding and keeping me in the loop of what was going on.
    He then went on to say that my email to triumph has also made the parts they had been waiting on miraculously appear! so they can start work on bike tomorrow and should get back next week.

i am expecting a call monday!
    I never appreciate having to kick off to get things done, it shouldn't have to be that way :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Probably go parts for someone’s bike that’s not complained yet.

9. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    hi mate
    Just on my way to collect Mine now after 7 weeks and 4 days and 8 hours and 33 minutes
    It’s all done now and been told QS is disabled for 600 miles and then back in for basically 1st service and then they will activate QS
    Looks like pushing Triumph Uk bloody helps lol. good luck pal and keep us updated

• Like Like x 1
  10. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Morning All,
    Speed is back with me after gearbox rebuild.
    I did 100 miles on it yesterday but at reduced revs and no QS enabled as need to run all new parts back in etc etc.
    Need to go through the 600 miles and then service once again.
    Bike seems fine and gearbox seems crisp and I know am using clutch but can feel a definite difference.
    Lets hope all sorted now

• Like Like x 3
  11. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    expecting
    great news, havent heard from dealer yet, ill give them a couple more hours and will call them up.
    did they mention anything about the work being covered past the normal warranty expiry?
    my concern is that wont get a chance to see that original issue has been fixed until weather gets better by which time bike will be out of warranty!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    picked the bike up yesterday afternoon. 6 weeks exactly
    was all a bit rushed as they were not sure if would be open during lock down, obviously was not going to wait another month.

spoke to the tech and confirmed pretty much ended up with new gearbox, everything was replaced, and was very confident will not happen again as QS fix was made.
    received no instructions about reduced revs, no disabled quickshifter and no service after 600 miles.
    so gave it a good work out on way home and was perfect.
    am i confident the issue wont return?... not especially but will deal with it as and when it happens.
    just happy i have my stress relief back :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. °°°Alessio°°°

°°°Alessio°°° New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Italy
    Hello guys, I'm from Italy. Sorry for my English. I'm agree with "bold text". Last year I had some "false neutral" near the 4° gear, with the QS.
    So, I adjusted the shift rod, to have the lever lower, to engage the gears up more decisively.
    After this new adjustment, I had no more problems, even in a track day. Now it's good in my bike !

• Like Like x 2
  14. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    So what is the difference you feel? Describe it in detail. (Because I think it is placebo feeling, tbh.)

15. Texas_Up

Texas_Up New Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Texas
    Hello, all! I bought my first Triumph a few weeks ago ('20 Street Triple RS), and have been having some issues with my quickshifter so I read several pages of this thread. Disappointing to see how many people are having these problems!

I have about 850 miles on my bike, and had my first 4th to 5th false neutral today, grinding then banging into gear. But, the more common problem I have is the quick shifter not functioning at all. Most commonly this happens from 5th to 6th, but has also happened in other gears. I went for a 30 mile ride today and it probably happened six or seven times. I run up the gears, upshifting at around 4k RPM's with moderate throttle, and when I try to upshift from 5th I get nothing, and the pedal is light with no mechanical resistance. If I reduce throttle, it resets and then I can upshift. The issue happens most often when I have really rough upshifts that almost "buck" the back of the bike at lower gears.

Has anyone else had these issues? I brought it up during my first service last weekend and the tech didn't find anything. I figured it wasn't worth pressing the issue thinking maybe the oil change would smooth things out or something. Anyway, I need to get it back in, but was wondering if anyone has heard of this issue in addition to the false neutrals. Thanks, all!

16. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    . Firstly welcome Texas. Sorry to hear you’re having an issue with your gearbox, but welcome to the unfortunate club. I would recommend reading through the entire thread there’s also another thread on here that’s very similar. That way you’ll have a good understanding on how messed up the quick shifter is, and lack of support you will receive from triumph. I would suggest you disengage it before it does any real damage, if it hasn’t already. If you’re having trouble with it there’s generally no fix for it. I don’t recall the issues that you’re having but it sounds like you’ve experienced the dreaded false neutral and brutal gear change right after it. If so, you’re not gonna get many more of those before your gearbox is trashed.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Texas_Up

Texas_Up New Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Texas
    Definitely disappointing, and like someone said at the beginning (might have been you) it does take some of the shine off of a new purchase. My first reaction to all of this was to just get rid of the bike and go get my second or third choice in line before I decided on the Triumph, but I guess every bike has it's niggles. The quickshifter is a feature I really enjoy, so I'd rather not forego using it altogether. I've only had the false neutral once or twice, which seems to be the issue which leads to catastrophic failures.

Still haven't found anyone that has the same issue where the gear change just gets stuck and won't reset. I did some playing with it over the weekend and it shifts really smoothly closer to 5k rpm's, but around the 4-4.5k it's pretty rough (almost "bucks" the back of the bike) and those scenarios are when it gets stuck.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #538 Ducatitotriumph, Nov 30, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    If you can recreate it easily (the 4-5k shift prob) then I’d take it to the dealership and get him to ride yours and then the demo to compare. At least the fault is logged and it’ll be rectified.
    Also, ride the demo to see if it's the same? I know that you have to be "positive" on the shifts though and not to be overly gentle with it.
    Then the small matter of getting a new gearbox process begins....

• Like Like x 1
  19. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I took my 765 in for it’s annual service today and was given a speed rs (2020 model) with quick shifter as a loan. I too experienced the neutral between 3rd and 4th whilst using the quick shifter. I stopped using it after the 2nd time this happened and stuck to clutch shifts only.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jorgen

Jorgen New Member

May 17, 2022
    Norway
    Hi guys

No activity on this thread for while, but are hoping some knowledgeable riders read this.
    I too have a problem with my 4th gear.
    My bike is run 40k km. It has had the QS recall. My bike is shifting smoothly all the up and down. I have had a couple of false neutrals, not to violently, and I believe it was due to not releasing 100% between shifts. It has never dropped out of gear. But in 4th gear it has a “millisecond of lost pull. Say I’m going through 2-3 and to 4th gear and a second or two after hitting the gear it seems like the clutch engage for a millisecond. At first I thought it was fueling and engine “stopped” but it seems more like a touch of clutch. Then it pulls like normal and goes like it should.

Is this the same issue as this thread addresses? Or is it something else? Any idea what?
    Dealer couldn’t figure it out when I took it in for valve service