Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Keep us posted please pal as i have still not heard anything about mine.

2. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    I am now getting same 4 weeks ETA you were getting.
    pretty far from happy, as i specifically mentioned my concerns about this with dealer and was assured would only be a week
    plan to contact triumph directly and share my displeasure with them

• Like Like x 1
  3. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Just had an update from dealer and I am waiting for one part to repair gearbox.
    This part is not due until 14th November so a further month to wait until the part arrives and then have to wait for bike to be rebuilt after then.
    Looking like late November early December before mine gets back to me.
    So I have not ridden my bike since August !!
    Not a happy fella today :((

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    I do not have false neutrals but I have noticed that (shifting at about 5000rpm and not on full throttle):

shifting from 4th to 5th with quickshifter the shift time is very long and the shift happens with a jerk.

the shift time from 5th to 6th is also very long.

Sometimes the right after following (quick)shift from 5th to 6th does not happen. If I close throttle momentarily and then try again from 5th to 6th it works. After that one refused shift the quickshifter works from 5th to 6th.

Have anyone noticed these pecularities as well?

5. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    And another thing. I checked oil level. Well, I tried. The oil stick is very long, but the "active" part of it is less then 10mm long!
    I mean, come on, how am I supposed to know if there is enough oil if I only have less then 10mm to work with?!

6. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Its really quite simple...... Read all of the posts on here.

If you think it's a fantastic piece of kit, good on ya but for me, it ruined the whole experience.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    It has nothing to do with quickshifter technology though, properly working quickshifter/blipper on ANY bike, even a 125cc scooter, adds lots of value and makes lots of sense.

8. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    125 scooters are automatic :kissing:

9. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Yeah? Well, that's great. I would not know, I never owned a scooter or 125 for that matter.
    In any case, I was making a general comment, which was obvious, was it not?
    The comment was - even small capacity bikes profit from properly tuned quickshifter/blipper, this technology brings benefits not just in motorsport and not just on large capacity motorbikes.

I am more interested in comments to my previous post:

do owners of Speed RS with quickshifter experience slower shifting times between 4th, 5th and 6th gear, like I experience?

10. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #510 Ducatitotriumph, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    yes.
    I don’t get a jump/lurch though at 5 k. Maybe 3k (but thats to be expected tbf and my fault)
    Definitely longer delay than the lower gears and you have to be more (IMO) more "deliberate" on the shifts 4-6.
    I got my qs retrofitted at 5k and now on 6.5k. Possibly the s/w has changed from previous to a more deliberate time delay (to help triumph with gearbox errors/crunching) but i'm just guessing at that.
    I had the s/w updated at triumph for the qs switch on so maybe it was a new version with a more deliberate delay built in?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Maxtr

Maxtr New Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Canada
    Just created an account for this. I did the software update two weeks ago and the delay seems indeed longer, especially at high revs.

I tried the q/s a lot of times after and I only got a false neutral only one time (and it could be because I didn't pushed enough the shift lever). The transistion between gears seems to be a lot more fluid than before.

• Like Like x 4
  12. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yes let’s hope so. Enjoy your new RS, it’s an incredible machine that I still adore.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Burny_13

Burny_13 Active Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Reading
    I've heard a rumour that using Motul 300v oil also makes quite a bit of difference.
    My guess due to reduced stiction of the gears on the shaft, I believe it too so I will be swapping over during winter.

If I get REALLY bored, I might even make myself a light weight 4/5th ratio and rebuild the box.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    I've done 1000km and my first service. The service guys said they would recalibrate the quickshifter (that 10 second in each gear thingy), but I do not know if they have done that as I still have that slow response on 4-5-6 gearchange.
    I would recalibrate myself but I believe one needs to connect to Triumph telemetry device which I do not have.

In any case, the riding I do requires mostly 2-3-4 gears and there qs and blipper work more or less great.

Yes, the gearbox is positively prehistoric compared to the gearbox on my GSXR1000 L7, with or without quickshift/blip. The clutch shifts on Triumph sometimes happen with very loud bangs, and not just 1 to 2nd. At least I did not have false neutrals or any gear crunching so far.

Otherwise I am very keen on Speed RS, great bike to ride, also sounds juicy and attracts attention. I love the looks of it, front to rear. Very nice bike, I am happy with the purchase. But if I had to keep one bike I would keep my L7 GSXR1000.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m glad the IED is working out for you and hasn’t destroyed your gearbox. That’s too bad you find your gearbox prehistoric. My experience has been the opposite. The quickshifter is utter shite, which in reality is more than likely the gearbox, but the gear changes I find very slick with a nice positive engagement. I find my brother’s Suzuki GSXS1000 gearbox to be very vague during gear changes bordering on sloppy. I guess it just depends on what you like. I like a nice smooth tactile feel during a gear change, and the RS doesn’t disappoint.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    GSXS1000 has the K5 engine and probably the gearbox from same time. I had K5 GSXR1000, the shifting was pretty good, but the gearbox on the last model of GSXR1000 is way way more modern. The lever movement needed with quickshifter is miniscule, and the shifts are seamless, whatever the gear, as long as you are 3000+rpm. The clutch shifts require very little movement in gear lever as well, if there are bangs they are very "small" and silent and only at low revs. The quickshifter and blipper work like magic from 1 to 2 and back from 2 to 1, no jerks, no bangs, I am not afraid to use qs/b on GSXR1000 like I am afraid to use it on the Speed RS. The shift lever movement on Speed RS is long and the bangs (when shifting manually with clutch) can be so loud that I hear them through the engine noise and through the helmet, they are so old-fashioned that I feel embarrassed when they happen with people around. There is absolutely NO comparison of the Speed RS gearbox and 2017-... GSXR1000 gearbox. I like both bikes for their particulars, but transmission on the Suzuki is light years ahead of what is on Speed RS., probably because whatever Triumph said about gearbox updates on the Speed RS, the gearbox is still from 20+ years ago.

Anyway, that is how it is, I can live with the agricultural gearbox of RS, I like the bike anyway, even though I need to spend time remembering when and when not to use the quickshifter and baby the gearbox, instead of riding balls to the wall.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    There is so much to love about the RS. I can live with a not perfect gearbox as everything else is spot on. The handling, the riding position, the look and sound etc. So far, ( touching a lot of wood here) I have not had any problems with the QS. Following on from reading this thread, I now just pull the clutch when going down the box and it auto blips for me, so,if I’m hard on the brakes at least I’m not having to think about blipping the throttle. Upwards, the box is pretty good on the QS I have. However , I am not often upshifting at 9000 rpm on the road or if so, it is very seldom. Fingers crossed it remains like this. If not it will be time to move on....

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    After that I’m left wanting a new Suzuki gearbox. Sounds light years ahead of the RS gearbox. Yup the RS lever has a long through for sure. Maybe they’ll get it right on the new speed triple LOL, to the point where the quick shifter actually works on all bikes.

19. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Maybe, but I did not want to wait for the new Speed. First of all, I like the classic looks and underseat cans. Secondly, who knows what kind of teething problems the new bike will have, I am no test bunny. :kissing:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    come on, it does not autoblip. :rolleyes:
    When you pull the clutch the quickshifter/blipper is disabled.

• Agree Agree x 1