Speed Triple Rs 4th Gear Problems

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Albi, Apr 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    if the RS didnt have a QS, i probably would not have bought one in the first place. all of the other bikes in its class do.
    but that is just me, i have grown accustomed to having one on my previous bikes.
    as an optimist i am hopeful that once the gearbox gets fixed i will also get a bike back that no longer chews gears.
    its a bloody great bike, so i am not prepared to give up on it yet!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    The question is - was it a one-of fix for your particular bike or is it done to all the new bikes that they still produce.
    I believe Speed RS is still produced in Hinckley. The guys that fixed your gearbox were from Triumph UK?
    What did they change in the gearbox, do you have info on that?

3. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome to the forum sir. There is a great wealth of knowledge and information on this site, along with a little humour as well :blush: . I think you’re spot on with your assumption regarding the RS and Triumphs lack of interest and or ability to fix this very frustrating quickshifter (improvised explosive device ) issue. The bike is brilliant aside from this issue. If you decide to purchase The RS, pass on the IED.

4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Exactly

5. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    So, I went to Triumph and took Speed RS out again for a ride. It had QS installed and the updated link-arm. I rode it and used QS and B from 2 up to 6 and back.

I do not do full-throttle very high rpm shifts on the road anyway.

Yes, the operation of this (Translogic, as is written on it) unit is pretty slow, especially at lower rpms, it takes a little while for the gear to slot in and engage, maybe these are already the updated timings, I don't know. The operation is nowhere near as instantaneous and seamless as the operation of my Suzuki GSXR unit, but it is good enough for me. I did not catch any false neutrals, except for one, from 2nd to 1st, probably because I was so scared from reading all the stories here.

In the end I ordered QS/B, as well as heated grips, seat cowl, tank pad (I love that thick Triumph tank pad), rear wheel finisher in black and black bubble badge valve caps (gotta have some bling!).

Got the bike with parts installed for less than price of the bike without parts, good enough for me.

I will buy front axle bobbins and water+oil radiator guards from EvoTech and engine case sliders from R&G.

And this is the bike.

IMG_20200918_153021.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Exactly set
    I’m very surprised you decided to go ahead with the quickshifter after seeing how many bikes have this issue and that there is “no” fix for it. I really hope yours will be one of the good ones. You will find out soon enough if you have a bike with or without the the issue. Remember it only takes a few false neutrals to destroy the gearbox, as I found out, so if it happens Just once deactivate the unit and never use it again. Congrats on the new bike and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Thank you, Steve, I hope for the best as well.
    Well, I am not as radical as komp, and I would buy Speed RS even without qs/b as of all the nakeds I tried Speed RS is the bike that fits my riding style the best and is the bike that does not urge me to lose my license, plus I like the looks, but I know what he means, the qs/b is a really cool toy and fun on the street.

I am already curious about the next generation speed, maybe on that one Triumph will finally bring the qs/b functionality up to par.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #488 Bryan3R, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Triumph are doing £1,000 deposit contribution, £300 accessories voucher, and a free Quickshifter to move the remaining stock.
    Think the Street Triple had the advantage of sharing the engine with the Daytona.
    I’ve decided on the 2020 Superduke as the LC8 has been used across all the big bore KTM platforms and all the QS kit is internal.

• Like Like x 1
  9. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    well chased up the dealer today as not heard a peep since they took my bike away last week. Apparently gearbox is apart and awaiting parts. it changed pretty quickly from a new gearbox, to a repair under warranty :(
    ultimately all i care about is getting it fixed and that it doesnt occur again.
    will chase again end of week, hopefully will see it some time soon!

ironically received an email through at the weekend from triumph regarding both the pad and the QS recall.. first time i had received anything in relation to this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    new gearbox would only be the gear cluster anyway, as long as all the damaged parts get replaced it should be ok.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Hi All,
    New to the forum and my first post.
    Well guess what my 2018 Speed RS is in the dealers having the gearbox rebuilt due to the false neutral in 4th 5th 6th etc etc.
    It has now been in the dealers for 4 weeks and is on the bench awaiting gearbox parts that are on back order.
    I went in to dealer on Saturday and no sign of said parts as of yet. Triumph warranty have said a 4-6 week wait for gearbox parts.
    Mine has the QS fitted and yes only developed problems when using the QS.
    Luckily it is being fixed under warranty and as was said earlier may not be a new gearbox but should be as good as when its sorted.
    I am not sure if will use the QS as did before as I think will need to build some confidence in it again.
    As soon as hear any news I will update this thread to let everyone know what's happened.
    This is a very interesting thread and sometimes wish i had read it before i bought my Speed RS lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    That's concerning. mine has been away 2 weeks already.
    I will not be happy if i am waiting another month +
    they originally told me a week
    maybe i will give them a chase, see if i can get an update

• Like Like x 1
  13. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Thats what i thought too.
    Went in and they said back order of 3rd gear and 6th gear and a gasket.
    There is a 2020 RS in the dealers too with same problem awaiting to be stripped also.
    I am hoping new gears etc etc will sort the problem.
    Had enough of waiting though but want it fixed so it is what it is i guess.

14. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Guy I chatted to on Facebook said his was gone for 6 weeks and 4 days.
    His is all good now though

15. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    spoke to the dealers main tech guy, he claims they are only waiting on 1 part and hope to have by end of week.
    He says the triumph parts site always says a month, but then parts turn up the next day.
    he said if part hasn't turned up by Friday will give us a call to discuss how best to proceed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    This I do not understand.
    What does it mean "he is all good now"?
    His gearbox and qs work after gearbox rebuild, is that what you mean?

Logical conclusion from this is that Triumph had faulty or subpar parts in the gearboxes, including the last units of the Speed RS, the 2020 units.
    And what do they replace these faulty parts with?
    I say - with new parts, which are still faulty.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Honestly lads just ditch the quick shifter, it has no place on the rs.

how many more gearbox's have to die before they just stop selling them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Snusmumrik

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Why does it not have place on RS?
    It is an RS! What about Ohlins, does it have place on RS?

Personally I think qs/b is a fantastic piece of technology to have on any bike, they make riding more exciting.

19. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    It is as long as the gearbox has been designed to cope with the loads, unfortunately it’s proving that the RS gearbox can’t.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jason hatton

jason hatton New Member

Mar 6, 2020
    Midlands
    Not sure to be honest. Apparently no problem anymore but i dont the guy personally so cant quote anymore. Just hope mine is sorted when its back. Will take a lot of time to trust the QS again though. I shall be using the clutch more often lol